Viewing 40 posts - 50,921 through 50,960 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mattyfez

Corbyn is complicit in this mess by his inaction.

He’s supposed to be a leader but Labour, like the Conservatives, have said and done nothing of any relevance over the last two years.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

“You can’t really blame Labour for playing fantasy brexit when that’s the game their opponents are playing.”

Thats a really poor excuse for Labour’s ineffectiveness!

igm

I’m liking the UKIP, Farage mugshot condoms.

Presumably the message is “if you really want to **** it up, get yourself a Farage” 😳

Cougar

He’s supposed to be a leader

Moreover, he’s supposed to be the leader of the opposition.  Not really seeing much opposing of late.

somafunk

Labour ceased to be a genuine opposition party with the death of the “great” John Smith in 94, there has been no leader since who has had even a sliver of John’s integrity and honesty.

dazh

Thats a really poor excuse for Labour’s ineffectiveness!

You do actually know that they are a political party with aspirations of governing don’t you? Ignoring the ‘will of the people’, when it’s been expressed as emphatically and unarguably as it has, is political suicide, especially when many of the people voting out are your core voters! It’s amusing cos I bet the very same people who criticise labour for not being a serious party of government, are the same people who want them to oppose the result of the referendum.

Like others, I also would like them to be more anti and lead the case against brexit, but they’re doing the only thing they can do. This is the tories mess, it’s simple political common sense to keep it that way as long as possible. It’s fairly unlikely there’ll be an election before March, I’m pretty sure labour’s strategy is to play the ‘cleaning up the tories mess’ card, just like the tories did after the financial crash. This could not only keep labour in power for a long time, but they’ll be able to use the crisis to bring in some transformative if not revolutionary policies (UBI for example).

thecaptain
    Free Member

Look I know leave won but by no stretch can 52:48, more than two years ago and under the circumstances that it took place, be considered emphatic and unarguable.

thecaptain
    Free Member

If labour’s policy really is to enable a shit Tory Brexit in the hope that they will then get to win an election or two off the back of it then they are actually worse than the Tories in my book.

dissonance

then they are actually worse than the Tories in my book.

The alternate way of looking at it is that they do bail the tories out before the shit hits the fan there is doubt the tories would use that against them. The Labour heartlands were pro brexit and would be vulnerable to the hard right liars pretending to give a **** about them. No point dodging Brexit if the rabid right are allowed free reign over the country and the Labour “moderates” regain the party power to drag it ever rightwards in the dim hope the traditional voters wont notice.

Northwind

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>thecaptain
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

If labour’s policy really is to enable a shit Tory Brexit in the hope that they will then get to win an election or two off the back of it then they are actually worse than the Tories in my book.

I think their policy is to wait in the wings til it becomes obvious to everyone that there’s going to be a shit Tory Brexit and then stop it. Could be wrong but that’s basically how you crack the “will of the people” problem, you need to wait til there’s a solid, shitty brexit on the table before you can oppose it.

</div>
    But then I also think they thought this would have happened a year ago, the fact that the Tories haven’t even managed to deliver a shit brexit at this point is pretty much incredible.

dazh

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Look I know leave won but by no stretch can 52:48, more than two years ago and under the circumstances that it took place, be considered emphatic and unarguable.</span>

What I meant was that ‘the will of the people’ in this case has been expressed, via the referendum, in an unarguable manner. Not polls, not by knocking on doors and extrapolating, not by analysing social media or going on instinct, but by an actual vote, which happened to have the biggest turnout of any vote conducted in this country for decades. Any politician who ignores that won’t be a politician for very long.

They want to completely deconstruct the neoliberal consensus and bring in transformative policies which will last for a generation. They’re not going to be able to do that if they’re in opposition. And yet they are accused of not being ‘serious’, whatever that means.

pondo

I think their policy is to wait in the wings til it becomes obvious to everyone that there’s going to be a shit Tory Brexit and then stop it.

Please god, please…

tjagain

What would you have labour do?

If they say – ” we are against brexit and will scrap it” then that easy pickings for the tory press and the tories ” denying the will of the people”

Second referendum is also fraught with political danger – from not getting a remain result to creating more divide in the country to again being an easy target ” denying the will of the people”

some come on – all of yu that are so critical of labour over brexit what would you have them do?

I think picking apart the Tories efforts while not allowing the easy targets for political point scoring has served them well.  I want conference to come up with a stronger policy as the time is right.  But to allow the tories enough room to hang themselves has been about the best they can do

Cougar

What I meant was that ‘the will of the people’ in this case has been expressed, via the referendum, in an unarguable manner.

It’s blatantly arguable.  On face value as presented it’s the will of half of the people.  Looking at actual numbers it’s the expressed will of a quarter of the people.

17 million votes for Leave = “the will of the people,” the other 16 million votes for Remain = “we won you lost shut up stop moaning why do you hate democracy?”  **** that right off.

dissonance

**** that right off.

That and what does the vote out mean. If the will of the people was so clear then why the **** are our glorious leaders still confused about what it is?

Cougar

What would you have labour do?

Be honest.

Doing nothing is the best course of action for them politically, I get that.  Wait for the inevitable implosion of the Tory party and then capitalise on picking up the pieces.

But the referendum was as close to 50:50 as makes no statistical difference and a lot of Leave voters didn’t really vote for Leave reasons.  Corbyn is uniquely placed as a Eurosceptic which gives him credibility amongst fence-sitters;  if he were to go “yeah, the EU isn’t perfect but let’s stay in and try and fix the problems we perceive” I expect there would be massive support for him / them.

Hell, Labour could even get in bed with the LibDems, a superparty to take down the brexiters.  He could go down in history as the politician who brought us back from disaster.

Unicorns, I know.

thecaptain
    Free Member

+1 cougar. I expect politicians to be reasonably honest and to argue for what they believe in, not dishonestly duck the issue and hope to pick up the pieces later on.

Cougar

I expect politicians to be reasonably honest

I hope and demand that politicians be reasonably honest.  I expect that with a few exceptions (such as the aforementioned Tom Watson) they’re actually all lying, self-serving shitehawks.

kimbers

also Times reporting that mays aides planning for General election in November

dazh

Hell, Labour could even get in bed with the LibDems, a superparty to take down the brexiters.

Why would they? Their declared intention is to combat poverty, reduce the wealth gap, re-empower the public sector, rebalance the economy, give more power to workers through greater trade union membership and a whole host of other stuff. Stopping brexit isn’t even on the agenda.

And really, coalition with the libdems? The party still stained by their collaboration with the tories, and which has recently declared labour to be ‘appalling’.

slowoldman

What I meant was that ‘the will of the people’ in this case has been expressed, via the referendum, in an unarguable manner.

This has been argued ad nauseam. 52/48 does not demonstrate the will of the people, it is the will of half the people. Half said they didn’t want to be in the EU, half said they did. I’m not going to argue the toss over a few percentage points. Whatever we do, half the people will be unhappy with the outcome because we are not all suddenly accepting the result. So, what is a government to do? Well for a start, not piss off the half of the population that was quite happy to placate the other half, because you’ll still have half the population pissed off. Something more intelligent and grown up is required. Which is unlikely given the track record of the halfwits and ego-maniacs we have at the helm.

kimbers

molgrips
    Free Member

Corbs will go with whatever his party decides on 2nd ref, as we said earlier. Quite astute I reckon, cos he can’t be blamed politically whichever way it goes.

But also, it’s his principles a d has been since before Brexit. And we could be much closer to a second ref by the end of next week.

igm

an actual vote, which happened to have the biggest turnout of any vote conducted in this country for decades

Agreed.  Ish.

EU referendum turnout – 72.2%

1992 election turnout – 77.7%

1997 election turnout – 71.3%

Average GE turnout 1922-2017 – 72.9%

So yes, a bigger turnout than we’ve had since Blair got in, but a little below what we used to expect until recently.

Leku
    Free Member

Labour ceased to be a genuine opposition party with the death of the “great” John Smith in 94, there has been no leader since who has had even a sliver of John’s integrity and honesty.

I always describe myself as a “John Smith Labour’ voter. Still truly missed.

kerley
    Free Member

Corbyn is playing it right.  You can’t win on the Brexit issue as it is not party political, all parties have the same problem.  You cannot suggest overriding the vote as however close it was it was still the result and people who didn’t understand the complexities before the vote won’t understand any other complexities either and it will just be used against him.

thecaptain
    Free Member

How do you think the electorate will react when they realise they’ve been deliberately lied to by both major parties for years on end? If anything the Tories are being more honest, May ducks the question when asked if brexit is good for Britain and if she’d vote for it next time.

kerley
    Free Member

How do you think the electorate will react when they realise they’ve been deliberately lied to by both major parties for years on end?

When are we swapping the electorate for one that can think independently and is actually interested enough to notice?

cornholio98
    Free Member

How do you think the electorate will react when they realise they’ve been deliberately lied to by both major parties for years on end?

We we don’t seem to have cottoned on after the last 370 odd years of lies what make you think recent events will change anything?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Who knew swashbuckling free traders were such big girl’s blouses?

dannyh
    Free Member

It’s the lack of shame shown by the likes of Hannan that makes me want to puke. Put him in front of a bunch of blue rinsed Home Counties Himmlers and he’ll be talking about self reliance, Britain being ‘great’, rule Britannia, don’t fire til you see the whites of their eyes etc.

But he will also play the wounded snowflake just to get something, anything out on Twitter that his vile supporters can latch onto.

A horrible, weak, vain bully.

Northwind

Someone explain to Hannan that diabetics are allowed to eat cake. He might want to take us back to the 60s but we’re not there yet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well the next battle for remain is the Labour Party conference, getting them to agree to a vote or an ability to stop it all will put some clear difference between the 2 parties and give people some choice.

Nobody can give a decent outcome with a straight face at the moment.

DrJ

Someone explain to Hannan that diabetics are allowed to eat cake. He might want to take us back to the 60s but we’re not there yet.

Well, yeah, but if the stockpile of insuliun runs out she will be in trouble if she eats too much cake.

dudeofdoom

Not Dan the

Daniel Hannan, a Tory MEP and one of the faces of Vote Leave, declared: “Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the single market.”

not sure where we stand now.

But probably best to ramble on about some cake bollocks.

igm

Useless information.

Did you know that more people voted for the 2010 ConDem coalition (17.5m) that for Brexit (17.4m)?

Of course they didn’t know what they were voting for at the time, but…

mrmo
    Free Member

Who would have guessed that the government hasn’t done any prep.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/policy-legislation/31939/government-systems-unprepared-for-no-deal-brexit

kelvin

I, boringly, kept asking “clued up Brexit Cheerleaders” about the changeover between IT systems for Customs about a year ago, on here and elsewhere… and the lack of acceptance that contingency was needed (old system not being patched up to cope with implications of being outside the CU, and new requirements added to the scope of the new system without any acceptance that it would impact/delay the implementation of that)… I’m sure that’s all been sorted, and we’re not relying on a transition period that isn’t in the hands of the UK government to guarantee… that would be crazy, right?

tjagain

NO transition without a deal on NI and a deal on NI is not possible for May.

Viewing 40 posts - 50,921 through 50,960 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.