Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • etiquette on classifieds…….
  • ton

do you have to sell to the 1st person who says they will have the item..
    or is it ok to sell the stuff to the 1st payee.
    cos i feel a right **** at the mo.
    also i have been stuck with stuff in the past from ‘dibbs’ type promises.

riggsy
    Free Member

IMO its always the 1st with the cash gets the goods, unless the person who has said they will have them 1st has contacted you and arranged payment etc

solamanda
    Free Member

Dibbs means jack unless they’ve emailed and asked to arrange payment.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

You don’t have to do anything.

But its nice to give the first person who shows intrest the first refusal. If they haven’t completed the transaction in a timely manner, it then should open up to other intrested parties.

uplink
    Free Member

dibbs is for anyone under 15
    just sell to whoever says they’ll take it & do the deal straight away

Olly
    Free Member

it cant be a race to send you money, otherwise youll end with a pile of money and one item to send out?

first to approach you to arrange payment i think

“ill have it” wont do
    “ill have it, i have emailed you” gets it!

DezB
    Free Member

1st reply feels right.
    I accidently sold to someone who’d emailed me, then noticed a reply on the forum expecting a response on there. Felt a bit of a git, but the poster was find about it.

mboy
    Free Member

First person who can pay IMO.

I will always try and accomodate anybody who says “I’m interested, but can’t pay til next week” or something, but someone wants what I’m selling, and they can stump up the cash/paypal/cheque/bank transfer then and there, it’s theirs!

Bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush etc.

DM52
    Free Member

cash is king as far as I am concerned. Ok, other potential buyers might end up disappointed however if I wanted an item that badly but needed further info to confirm quality etc. I would arrange to put a deposit down to secure the item.
    I have to admit I saw the advert before lunch and thought I would do a quick bit of research and put a bid in but I took far too long at lunch and missed out.

ton

i feel better now. 8)

firestarter
    Free Member

i thought the i’ll take it pending a pic and you knowing they would look good in a pic was a pretty sure sale but its up to the seller really tho id have been pi55ed off with it as i prefer to have a quick pic of something before i buy, unless i know the seller of course. id have trusted you as ive met and delt with you before but ive had pix from other people as some peoples great nic is crap to other people 😉 tho as said as always cash is king

BigDummy
    Free Member

I reckon if one person will pay if the pictures look alright and one person will pay without seeing pictures then the second guy gets it. That’s the second guy pricing risk, or something. Don’t be too hard on yourself. 😉

ton

to be honest i never ask for a pic.
    i trust people on here and so far have never been let down.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

if someone offers you cash, and you believe that offer to be genuine, then it’s theirs as far as I’m concerned.

This whole dibbs thing is toss, as I believe it puts off other buyers who may actually take the item as they think it’s already sold. equally the number of picture collectors on here that request pictures and you never hear from them again is ridiculous. There’s quite a few people whose “pics please” will just get ignored from me as they seem to want pictures of everything that’s for sale!

Equally if I get an email from someone that sneaks in before an email from someone who has also posted a reply here, the latter gets it every time.

But the one that really gets me is the WTD ads where you post up and say “I’ve got one”, and they post up “i’ll take it” and then expect you to then email them. I’m lazy, you want it, you make the effort, after all you’re trying to get it on the cheap more often than not!

firestarter
    Free Member

i have ;-( now there are certain folk i wont even sell to let alone buy off 😉
    tbh with me it makes a difference a bit as to what im doing work wise if i were selling today and could get payment before postie shuts then id take that as i can get it in the post today where as if i got payment tonight due to work i couldnt post til at least wednesday

dont worry tony 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

I often just email the seller without posting on the site, it’s up to them who they sell to and I’m not going to feel too aggrieved if they decide to go with somebody else.

Only if they don’t bother to reply to me.

hora
    Free Member

I do beleive that you should ‘register’ your interest on the thread first as that gives transparency. I recently expressed first interest on something only to be told it had gone due to them being emailed directly. I also emailed the seller directly but the seller had posted up ’email me as I dont check the site that often’. I did you numpty.

HTTP404
    Free Member

I posted onto your ad. and I disagree. As somebody has already said – it’s not a race. Seems to me like you never even gave the first buyer a chance to buy without the pictures. Cash is king but cash isn’t etiquette. A bit of patience doesn’t leave bad karma. What goes around comes around.

theboatman
    Free Member

For what it’s worth; I believe it is up to the seller how they behave, and if folk believe that is fair play or not, there is nothing they can really do about it.

My personal preference when selling is to take enquiries in order, and give the possible buyers the same options and a reasonable time (that being my idea of reasonable) to respond. By enquiry, I mean emailed with questions on how to pay etc, not a post of dibbs or emailed rubbish offer, I just ignore them. I take things in order, as to me, that’s just fair play.

As a buyer I would always want a pic, having been stung by a ‘regular’, I hold no water in this my ‘word is good enough’ toss. But if someone is willing to take something without the pics, then fair play sell to them.

Having read your add, my view is you were hasty as you didn’t give the first chap who enquired the same oppurtunity to buy (and clearly he would have bought without pics). I don’t think it makes you a ****, you sell as you see fit. But as a seller I wouldn’t respond to your adds as I like to feel there is some ‘fair play’, and more importantly I don’t spend enough time in front of the computer to race to buy, so someone would always beat me to it.

andym
    Free Member

equally the number of picture collectors on here that request pictures and you never hear from them again is ridiculous. There’s quite a few people whose “pics please” will just get ignored from me as they seem to want pictures of everything that’s for sale!

I don’t understand why sellers don’t automatically post pictures. After all who’s going to buy sight unseen?

ton

I don’t understand why sellers don’t automatically post pictures. After all who’s going to buy sight unseen

the reason i post a lot without pictures is i sell a lot on the spur of the moment…it is what i do.
    i have bought loads unseen, i do actually trust people.

scaredypants

I also emailed the seller directly but the seller had posted up ’email me as I dont check the site that often’. I did you numpty.

presumably you were second to register interest by the sellers suggested means, Hora. Or else they chose to sell elsewhere

As far as that thread goes, I’ve some sympathy for the “original” buyer but I also think asking for pics is largely a waste of (everyone’s) time (I don’t believe you can ever judge condition from pics with any accuracy unless it’s multiple pics of all surfaces etc & that still won’t find functional problems)

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’ve bought and sold, I go on the basis that if you want the item, you falg up your interest, then follow that up immediately with an email if you are genuinely ready to buy it, if you’re gonna buy it then make the effort to get in contact as quick as possible.

“dibbs”, “bagsey” or “yes please” – DO NOT SECURE A PURCHASE!

you’ve gotta state your intentions properly, clearly and obviously.

that said if someone had asked for pictures I would send them but advise that I had already had a previous contact.

olie
    Free Member

HMMMMM!

Bit of a can of worms as far as I’m concerned.

I think the first person who commits to having the item should be entitled to it BUT if you are going to say yes to buying something then you are obliged to buy it.

Should you later decide not to go ahead(and this goes for either side) then your integrity is seriously in doubt.

Been on the recieving end twice just recently once for a relatively low cost item the second for £1400 quids worth of bike when the “buyer” backed out after convincing me to remove it from sale as he was “on the way to collect it now, with the cash”. Basically he was a tosser (you know who you are!)

Olie

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think most people here know you are an OK guy and from now on they will pay you quick to!!!

vadar
    Free Member

Personally i think DIBBS its a load o shite…
    For me the first guy with the cash always gets first..I too have had the dibbs 1,2,3,4, and then you still end up with what your trying to sell.

I would like to think that im fair though !

mudsux
    Free Member

i trust people on here and so far have never been let down.

A certain poster on here ‘bought’ some gear off me and then never sent the money or bothered to say they no longer wanted the items. I also replied to one of their ads hoping to buy but never even got a reply. Won’t buy or sell to that person again – but my fault because i trust people on here.

theotherjonv

I apply common sense. I hope others do the same. eg: Simply being first to shout dibbs gets you nowhere, but on the other hand I can’t access paypal at work; hence if something I really want comes up while I’m at work and i want it I’ll say so, and I’ll ask the person if I can paypal that evening. Generally, people are OK to do that, if not then that’s fine too – you can’t always go into a shop, ask for dibbs on something and then piss about getting the cash either. But I always follow through on it, and paypal as soon as possible. If I didn’t I’d expect to be slated for it and hopefully no-one would deal with me.

Pet hates for me are people who ask for pics / details and then it goes quiet and you never hear again. Just say ‘not what i was looking for’ and I know where I stand. Equally people who do a deal and then pull out. eg: will you sell for £x for cash and I’ll collect? Me: yes. Them 2 days later; Actually I decided not to after all. Again, just let me know.

I don’t understand why sellers don’t automatically post pictures. After all who’s going to buy sight unseen?

When an item is brand new unused, what exactly will a home photo tell you? A brand new rear mech is what it says.

grumm
    Free Member

What’s with all this sly alluding to people’s shady behaviour without naming names? Surely people should be told if someone’s not acted honourably.

FWIW I don’t think Ton did anything wrong.

mudsux
    Free Member

What’s with all this sly alluding to people’s shady behaviour

There’s no sly alluding – I think it’s easy to work out. 🙄

MrNutt
    Free Member

it is? who is it?

ton

mudsux, are you meaning me.
    i do not think i have had any dealings with you have i???
    if i have please tell me.

mudsux
    Free Member

ton – I believe you still owe me a check for some BB7s and if you’ve still got some middleburns I’d be interested in those but with cranks – I’ve got to see pictures. 😀

ton

you serious???
    i have never bought any bb7s off here.

mudsux
    Free Member

i have never bought any bb7s off here.

well, if you’d have sent that check you would have.

ton

if it was me i apologise loads and loads.
    but i honestly cannot remmember.
    was it on the old forum.

mudsux
    Free Member

Yes, on the old forum about 6 months ago.
    And then I got no response from your middleburn ad.
    And then I saw this thread which I thought ironic.
    And fwiw your ad for your slx brakes it looks clear the first poster wants
    the brakes – you just don’t give him a chance.

Like other people have said it’s upto you who you sell to but a little bit of patience wouldn’t hurt otherwise it becomes a lucky dip.

Re: STW: BB7s

phil
    i will send a cheque this week.

tony.

>> phil
    >> i will take them still.
    >> is paypal ok
    >> if yes address please.

>> tony.

Lanesra
    Free Member

First dibs is bollocks, what gets on my tits is people not even acknowledging the fact that they’ve received the gear

Also, another gripe is people, who despite the fact the you probably sold it at less than what you could get for it on ebay, then the **** sends the payment to you and makes you pay charges – yes James Garbett I’m talking about you

joe1983
    Free Member

I bought a wheel off ton unseen the other day. It was a bargain, arrived the next day, and was literally like new. This time he might have got it a bit wrong, but I doubt it was intentional.

grumm
    Free Member

what gets on my tits is people not even acknowledging the fact that they’ve received the gear

This seems to be pretty normal – I did the first few times I bought stuff, but when I sent other ppl stuff I usually didn’t get acknowledgement that they’d received it. Figured that was fairly standard so I often don’t bother any more either.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘etiquette on classifieds…….’ is closed to new replies.