Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)
  • Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation Thread! This week- Bridges.
  • MrNice
    Free Member

Crossed regularly in my salad days. Kingsgate Bridge, Durham.

Have you seen the pic of the car slung beneath it? I was told the uni had to ask the engineering students who got it up there how to get it done.

MrNice
    Free Member

done down

headfirst
    Free Member

yunki
    Free Member

Bregante

HTS where’s that first one?

CountZero

I love bridges, and there’s some cracking photos here. There’s a few bridges local to me that I like, but this one I’m particularly fond of:

It’s called Double Bridge, and it’s been carefully restored over the last few years by volunteers from the Wilts & Berks Canal Restoration group. In evening sunlight it glows a beautiful orange, and I love it.

Bregante

not strictly a bridge….

ourmaninthenorth

MrNice – I was aware of the story. Before my time, though. Bit racy for Durham students, TBH..!

Pieface

donsimon
    Free Member

I used to pass this on a daily basis to and from the pub.

And used to live close to and often rode across this Roman Bridge.

CountZero

Another, better view of Double Bridge.

I love this little bridge, it carries a footpath over the old Chippenham-Calne railway line, now part of Sustrans Route 403. 

Several people have posted up pics of clapper bridges, so here’s my local one over the Bybrook, near Castle Combe. God knows how old it is, centuries I guess. There used to be nineteen wool mills along this little river, plus a paper and rag mill. I’ve ridden and walked over this little bridge countless times over the years.

Pulteny Bridge, over Pulteny Wier, Bath, styled after bridges in Venice.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Why hasn’t this been posted yet?

Anna-B
    Free Member

Why hasn’t this been posted yet?

Timing is everything!

I love this bridge

The second severn crossing, the design but also have become slightly obsessed with the colour to the extent of planning to get my new bike painted this shade.

donsimon
    Free Member

julianwilson
    Free Member

Three pages in and no one has mentioned this yet? Yes, engineering rather than architecture but it is bonkers-big when you stand underneath it. 150 year old iron and it still has heavy goods and intercity on it.

…and on the opposite side of the channel:

Harry_the_Spider

Bregante – Member
    HTS where’s that first one?

Ironbridge.

geoffj

Telford’s finest

I know I’m having a good day out if I cross this

Too much politics, but still looks good

And another classic viaduct

emma82
    Free Member

I wanted to say wunundred but I couldn’t wait when I found this, I was to bloody excited 😀

trailmonkey

Staverton Bridge, South Devon,

[/url][/img]

emma82
    Free Member

Wunundred 😀

Here’s another to celebrate

CountZero

TSY, beat you by seconds, but your pic shows the bridge a lot better than mine. Geoffj, is that the Ribble Viaduct? It’s beautiful, and a great photo too.

duntmatter
    Free Member

geoffj

Geoffj, is that the Ribble Viaduct? It’s beautiful, and a great photo too.

Yup, Ribblehead Viaduct. Not my picture though.

paul4stones

Nobody done this one yet:

Or this:

paul4stones flickr

And my favorite wire crossing in Scotland was the one by Gerry’s bunkhouse – just two wires. Always fun with a full bothy sac.

paul4stones

Another local one:

LycraLout
    Free Member

Tay Railway Bridge, v2

The Hermitage

Not a great picture of the bridge, but it’s those pointless decorative columns I wanted to show

mcmoonter
    Free Member

A mate fell off this one when it was in a more skonky condition. Loch Pattack near Culra Bothy

Rion-Antirion Bridge in Greece, Saw if from the plane and drove over it on the way to Delphi.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What a fantastic thread this one’s turned out to be! 🙂

Old photo of theTelford bridge at Conwy.

QE2 bridge at Dartford. If you want to cross it with a bike, a bloke in a Landrover comes and picks you and your bike up and takes you across. For free!

Poplar DLR station bridge (you’ve probbly seen this on tv shows and adverts):

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I wanted to say wunundred but I couldn’t wait when I found this, I was to bloody excited

I can see why!!!!! 😀

Wunundred

I love you. 😳

Andituk
    Free Member

It’s not Tuesday anymore, but I thought people in this thread might be interested in this:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/28293-manchester-central-castlefield-viaducts-modelling-structures/page__view__findpost__p__333531

The original bridge is fantastic, and this blokes modelling of it (over the next few pages) is incredible..

SkillWill
    Free Member

The High Bridge in Lincoln, England is the oldest bridge in the United Kingdom which still has buildings on it.[1] It was built about 1160 A.D. and a chapel built in 1235 dedicated to Thomas Becket was removed in 1762 with the current row of shops dating from 1550:

High Bridge, Lincoln

Still has a working tea shop on it. Fond memories of tea there as a youngster.

kiwijohn

Another one from Tassie, the Batman Bridge over the Tamar.

SammyC
    Free Member

A little photo I took of the suspension bridge in Bristol:

got this as an A0 poster in my dining room.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is the odd south bridge in edinburgh – yes this is abridge

richmars

Already had this (St Ives, Cambs). But it is a very nice bridge, with its own chapel. (Shame about the photo, hand held, night, about 6 beers….)

binners

Oooooooh…. nobodies posted this one yet! Devils Bridge in Kirby Lonsdale

Top tip: When jumping off Devils Bridge, tombstone style, don’t look down. Its a fair old drop and your body weight pitches forward resulting in you busting your nose wide open when you hit the water, and possibly knocking you out. This results in you nearly drowning, then staggering out of the water pissing blood everywhere,getting your mates very very worried indeed 😳

I bloody love these threads. Good work Fred! 😆

hepsta
    Free Member

Here is a bridge on the E31 in Germany, I have driven over this several times and must say its an awesome bridge to drive over and looks very impressive.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Blimey it’s still alive! 🙂

I bloody love these threads. Good work Fred!

Cheers! Good fun though innit?

You get a pukka view of Manhattan from this; George Washington Bridge, New York:

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Swing bridge, Shadwell Basin:

‘Single leaf rolling bascule bridge’ apparently. 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Rakewood Viaduct.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation Thread! This week- Bridges.’ is closed to new replies.