Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)
  • Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation Thread! This week- Bridges.
  • TooTall
    Free Member

There is no other better collection of so many stunning bridges so close together anywhere else.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I quite like this in a funny kinda way. This was by all accounts a quick fix by our council. Many decades ago!

DSC_3499 B&W by gary_foulger, on Flickr

ourmaninthenorth

Commute has changed, but I used to cross this once each way every day. One of Britain’s few remaining toll bridges. Built tall to allow ships to pass beneath on their way along the Ship Canal to Manchester. Warburton Bridge, Cheshire:

Bregante

Warby bridge. It’s still 12p each way or all day for 25p!!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Another troll bridge close to me…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The Carrick A Rede rope bridge in County Antrim

Kylesku Bridge, way up north – I just love that graceful sweeping curve

Ponte Vecchio, Florence

ourmaninthenorth

Just up the canal from Warby Bridge, Barton High Level Bridge. It was built for (what is now) the M60 to cross the Ship Canal, and as such the bridge was also built tall to permit ships to pass beneath. Now, however, there is no ship traffic in Salford and Manchester’s docks, so the elevation is vestigial. Scary driving across it in a heavy wind, though..!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Technically not a bridge, but here’s the Glenfinan Viaduct with obligatory steam train

ourmaninthenorth

It’s still 12p each way or all day for 25p!!

Genius, huh..!

Free for bikes, though, which annoys the queuing drivers. 😀

ourmaninthenorth

Made famous by Kevin Cummins’ iconic album cover for Closer, *another* bridge in Hulme, Manchester:

bakey

Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, beautiful. And just down the road from me:

thegreatape
    Free Member

Bregante – yeah, reminds me of an Escher drawing, although it does work.

TJ – if you like the Steall wire bridge, try this one in Glen Etive. You are supposed to sit in the (now virtually bottomless) cart and pull yourself across!

yossarian
    Free Member

Bridge of sighs, Oxford

Bregante

These two are quite close to my house and both cross the same stretch of water within half a mile of each other.

The elegant solution: This one spins!

The volume traffic solution:

Macgyver

TJ is that wire bridge near Steall Falls? I think I’ve used that one in winter when the falls were ice axe territory.

Also, it would appear (from this thread and the power station thread) that the leg end that is TSY lives close to me. Should I leave the county now?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*puts Macgyver on the stalking list*

Please say you live Eynsham side of the toll bridge?

toab
    Free Member

TSY I used to commute over that toll bridge every day! My Gran still lives round there

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been over that toll bridge. And this one:

This one’s only a couple of miles from me.
    Victoria Bridge on the Severn Valley Railway.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Me too Toab. Not any more though. I go over this one instead…

mangoridebike

apparently it was originally put together with no nails or screws or anything. It was taken down by a bunch of engineers so they could see how it worked, but then they couldn’t put it back together again. So it no uses screws etc.

I’m not sure of the truth behind that one, but if it is true its a great shame 🙁

colonelwax
    Free Member

Macgyver

Eynsham side??? noooo, I’m a city dweller in the slums of Jericho

willard

What you need is a bit of East Coast action: The Orwell Bridge.

Looked lovely when it was built and stopped all those lorries going through town when I was a lad.

One local to me now in St. Ives… Very picturesque…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Another one what is near me. Been in side this one…

You should come and move out west side Macgyver, it’s nice over this way.

Macgyver

Blenheim Palace that last one?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Did the big building in the background give it away? 😉

Macgyver

And city livings pretty good where I am. Canal a minute or two away, Port Meadow 10 minute walk. I hardly ever use the car and the Mrs can paddle to work. What’s not to like!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Still pretty local…

Macgyver

Stangely I’ve never really looked at the house. Only been to Blenheim to run round it for the OX5 or party at it (Wakestock to see Groove Armada!)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I had a friend who grew up in the grounds there… driving across that bridge towards the house smashed of your face can be very trippy indeed.

richmars

Now no more, replaced by the great St Ives to Cambridge (mis)Guided Bus Route.

ChrisL

And the much lamented shonky bridge in glen feshie – been shonky for decades but finally succumbed to the winter storms

Actually, it was swept away in September 2009, so hardly during winter storms. 🙂

It was supposed to be an integral part of a ride that I did there a week or two later, oh well the bit of the ride I did do was fun at least. 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Crossed regularly in my salad days. Kingsgate Bridge, Durham.

Kunstler

TJ the Steall wire bridge re-opened last August. I’m not sure I’d want to see it replaced with an easier crossing though at present smaller kids struggle to reach the hand cables.

Another great Scottish bridge. There’s a great photo of this Harry Henniker’s book with a couple of guys on bikes on top of it – needs someone on it to show it off properly. It’s railed off now.

Kunstler

And another. Bridge just visible at the top:

Blackhound

Forth Bridge, one from the top and one from below:

IMG_0364 by blackhound59, on Flickr

IMG_0376 by blackhound59, on Flickr

Blackhound

And a Roman bridge near Pollenca, Majorca:

P3090650 by blackhound59, on Flickr

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Kunstler – Member

TJ the Steall wire bridge re-opened last August. I’m not sure I’d want to see it replaced with an easier crossing though at present smaller kids struggle to reach the hand cables.

If / when I am looking to build a bridge or two I will take advice from concerned parties such as the MCofS and the national parks authorities

I don’t see why a better bridge would not be a decent idea tho. Perhpas there are batter candidates.

Harry_the_Spider

Beautiful

Functional

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation Thread! This week- Bridges.’ is closed to new replies.