Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)
  • Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation Thread! This week- Bridges.
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Righty ho. Usual format- post pics of yer favourite bridges; big ones, little ones, plain ones, fancy ones. Ones that are in your home town, or you’ve seen on holiday, on your local trail/route, etc.

Quite a few near me. 🙂

Got to kick off with this though really, in’t I?

molgrips
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

yunki
    Free Member

a bridge that I cross most weeks on one of my favourite local loops

not quite so architectural.. but a local bridge nonetheless

matthewjb
    Free Member

This one:

Not seen it myself. Would love to.

sucklingmatt
    Free Member

leggyblonde
    Free Member

ARRRGHH!

I knew someone would put up the Millau viaduct. Hardly an architectural masterpiece, Foster just drew a straight line across a valley. It boils my piss that everyone knows it as a Foster designed bridge yet is is the engineers who deserve ALL the credit.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not a straight line, is it? And it’s certainly elegantly attractive, whether deliberately or by accident.

Bregante

going here in May – providing I can walk by then 😕

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xYUmbleMHrQ/TNpoA5zI7FI/AAAAAAAAEdI/zglq0MqV_DY/s1600/Venice%2528Bridge_of_Sighs%2529.JPG[/img]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It does look pretty bloody spectakliar though LB.

(When is your sister gonna make some trousers for me?)

Love this one by Thomas Heatherwick in Paddington Basin. It curls up like a caterpillar or something.

deluded
    Free Member

Brunel’s marvellous structure.

binners

Bridges? Gotta be Calatrava, innit?

You can’t get a decent view of this one any more as they’ve built all around it. Which is a pity,as its beautiful

designed to look like the mast of a tall ship dontchaknow

Bregante

Oresund bridge from Malmo to Copenhagen. Should be back there in July too 8)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

This fella knew a thing or two.

Waderider
    Free Member

I’m with leggyblonde regarding something being wrong with the plaudits that civil engineers receive compared to the recognition that architects get. Certainly in recent decades. To me, the appearance is the first step, the hard part is making it work.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think architects are just swanning in with a paintbrush and a vision, are they?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m quite fond of the Wobbly Bridge, not least cos it’s in a wonderful location.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Saw this bridge last year, or at least its replacement

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mclp9QmCGs[/video]

Ridden over this a few times.

I can just about see this from my house

Bregante

This one goes up and down, don’t you know

binners

And another effort from Mr Calatrava: The Hulme Arch, just darn’t road from me

thegreatape
    Free Member

ahwiles
    Free Member

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Does spaghetti count as one big bridge. Always liked it.

Bregante

So much money has been spent on this bridge that it will be heading all the way out of Europe hopefully
    🙂

Bregante

loving the pearl necklace bridge the Pearl River Necklace Bridge Greatape

Torminalis
    Free Member

I used to walk across this one in Bristol regularly, the horns are counterbalances.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I like this one

This ones always good for a laugh but apparently its gone now 🙁

And the much lamented shonky bridge in glen feshie – been shonky for decades but finally succumbed to the winter storms

crazy-legs

I do like these threads Elfin. 🙂 I like bridges too. This one is on the new waterfront at Barcelona:

And one I took myself:

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Cromwells Bridge near Stoneyhurst College sat on this and eaten my butties on a few walks round there. 8000 of his troops went across it to the Battle of Preston although why someone would want to fight for Preston I’m not sure 😀 This area is supposedly where some of the Lord of the Rings ideas came from as his son was at college there or he lectured there for a while can’t remember the story I was too busy eating my pork pie

kiwijohn

Tvco
    Free Member

It depends on the architects; some can cause nothing but problems and don’t seem to have the faintest idea of what can be designed with respect to bridges. On my last bridge design I had serious headaches trying to get the ruddy thing to work after the architect demanded certain elements.

I’d love to work on a bridge like the Milau Viaduct

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thread title FAIL – bridges are examples of civil engineering, do try harder little Fred.

Anyway I rode this the first time then bottled it the second – both solo.

druid’s underwater bridge has to be the best.

globalti
    Free Member

This was meant to be a pic of Le Pont D’Avignon but some other features slipped in. *Cough*

enduro-aid
    Free Member

TJ its was some german students that brought down the wire bridge up at the glen, I was told by a local that they were trying to get a picture with lots of them on it and they all started bouncing and brought it down!

from what ive heard some folks are trying to raise money to put it back up

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Drac

The Lesbury Labia

Pigface
    Free Member

Request for a picture of the Transporter bridge in Newport please.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

enduro-aid

My dad has in his will ( he ain’t dead yet) money to build a new bridge or two in the highlands as he hated the wire bridges of which there are a few to cross to complete the munros- thats one of the ones on the list to be done ( depending on when of course). A nice suspension bridge like the falls of tarf one would be good.

bearGrease

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation Thread! This week- Bridges.’ is closed to new replies.