Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Earthwell Flasks
  • john_l
    Free Member

Got given a Roaster flask for Christmas, it’s really nice but doesn’t seem to do a very good job of keeping things hot.

Earthwell claim up to 10 hrs but everything I’ve tried is lukewarm at best after just a couple of hours.

Anyone else have one and having better results? I’ve tried warming with boiling water first, just using hot water (i.e. no milk), but no success.

matt_outandabout

We tried a couple of things mounted on a bike cage – and they just cool down rapidly with the airflow around them.

When winter climbing, our flasks or mugs stayed warm inside a pack without bother.

We therefore have old biffer bar bags with our LifeVenture mugs inside them, usually wrapped in our spare layer.

z1ppy

For the bike?

STW klean kanteen might be an option?

My friend has the Deboyo Race but doe like the fact that it cools down over a ride, so maybe not suitable

Off-bike the Contigo looks to be the top dog.. STW thread

john_l
    Free Member

For one the bike. Have tried it in a stem cell type bag and even just in the kitchen.

Odd, as they seem to get great reviews.

trail_rat
    Free Member

A quick look at their site and a few of their products looks quite alot like many others on Amazon.

What’s premium about these other than the marketeering ?

I have been looking for something along these lines and keep gravitating back to the kleenkanteen

Squirrel

I use a LifeVenture flask in the bottle cage, or in the backpack if it’s really cold. Either way the contents are still properly hot after about 3 hours which is good enough for me. If it’s below freezing out I deploy the LifeVenture insulated bag 😊.

finbar
    Free Member

This is incredibly effective: https://alpkit.com/products/clip

I routinely use it hillwalking and find it’s kept my tea uncomfortably hot.

Won’t fit in a bottlecage though, and OAB_Matt is probably onto something with this:

We tried a couple of things mounted on a bike cage – and they just cool down rapidly with the airflow around them.

When winter climbing, our flasks or mugs stayed warm inside a pack without bother

hatter

I have a Deboyo as well, so long as the drink goes in piping hot it tends to stay hot or at least pleasantly warm for the length of a decent winters day out on the bike.

Off the bike and with the screw cap on it will keep things hot all day so long as you don’t open it too often.

z1ppy

I finally bit the bullet and ended up just buying a Thermos flask, fits in the bottle cage (the deboyo one is too long for my frame), has a cover to stop the mouth piece getting dirty, and fits just under two mugs of tea.. just the job. It does do a really good job of insulating the drink, so be wary of filling it with boiling water, and expecting to pour it down your gullet. I have bought the plain silver one, and wrapped it in tape, as it scratches really easily.

john_l
    Free Member

MEant to post an update on this.

The flask was faulty and losing heat. ADVTR sent me a new one and it’s spot on.

burko73

That’s good to know. I fancied one of those but was worried about how effective it might be. Just nice to take a coffee on a winter bimble.

john_l
    Free Member

Yeah, when I used the faulty one and the new one side by side the difference was obvious, the faulty one was waaaay warmer to the touch on the outside, losing heat through the inner wall I guess.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You really can’t beat a standard Thermos. We’ve got a big one that keeps tea hot for at least 14-15 hours. Coffee not so long cos I make that with cooler water. I use a small one for work with a flip up thingy on the screw cap, that’s good for 6-8 hours. I think it loses a bit through the cap.

burko73

I guess size is important with flasks. The larger the hot mass of tea the longer it’ll hold its heat!

I never expect large flask performance form those little lifeventure type cups but they’re usually good for a hot tea or coffee at the half way point of a day ride!

Broke the lid on my lifeventure so need a replacement!

matt_outandabout

That’s good to know that premium price is meant to be premium performance. (And warranty).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Earthwell Flasks’ is closed to new replies.