Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)
  • things that have no place in 2022
  • leffeboy

Whatever headset/BB/brake mount was ‘standard’ in 2021

weeksy

Marmite.

But it never had a place any other year either!

Jeeez serious replies thread or what

sirromj

Threads that end up just another long list of peoples everyday grievances about life in general.

Vaping in the workplace. The noise of it in an otherwise silent office is quite slightly annoying. Almost get it in stereo surround sound. Just non stop. **** vaping **** 😀

Not caring about the environment or suffering of animals.

People like me who only slightly care but not enough to do anything.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

a) dab radios that require you to ‘dink’, confirm your station selection by pressing another button.

Or only having one knob for volume, station selection, etc.

b) e-book readers that don’t fold for portability or that lack a wee solar panel. It’s only a trickle charge that’s required, folks!

CountZero

1. Fluorescent lights – Take ages to come on, always on the blink, bulbs a pain to dispose of/break easily, noisy.

What? You mean to tell me that you’re still using fluorescent light tubes?

sirromj

^^^ those emojis, send ’em back to the noughties pls 🤣

Or are they on-trend retro resurgence?

BillMC

Donkey jackets and monkey boots.

Houns

What? You mean to tell me that you’re still using fluorescent light tubes?

Yes, I control the type of light fittings used in all buildings everywhere

fruitbat

Touch screens in cars ( Yes, I know cars should probably be banned too!)

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The Monarchy.

bikesandboots

Many things mentioned should rightly have been “fixed” by now, but I’m also reading things mentioned that are just things the poster doesn’t like or disagrees with.

wheelsonfire1

Worn out spirit level bubbles?

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

1) Amazon movies/ tv series that lack subtitles.

2) Food packaged in:

a) tin cans: too blimmin lethal.

b) glass jars: weigh too much to transport cheaply and there’s a global shortage of glass, apparently.

3) Pencils/ pens and their refills that have a tubular shape. Too easy to trip over. Easier to hold if they had a triangular shape.

4) Cricket/ rounders fielders not wearing gloves.
    They should take a leaf out of the baseball/ softball world and encourage the use of fielders wearing gloves.
    It would inspire more confidence when learning the sport.

Though, in all the above sports, it’s about time that they reconsider what the physical characteristics of the ball should be.

You want something that’s got more weight than a tennis ball, but something less lethal than a rounders/ baseball or cricket ball.

Something that bounced in an unpredictable manner after the batter hit it would certainly add a dash of excitement to the proceedings.

5) ‘Dance’ radio stations that dont play ‘Goa Trance’ or some of the more interesting bands like Fluke, Underworld, Orbital, Chris & Cosey, etc.

PJM1974
    Free Member

So far:

Tories – agreed
    Robert Murdoch – agreed
    Putin – agreed

Add new f****** axle standards to the list please.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

My underpants.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Sugar beet farmers using nicotine pesticides.

We don’t need sugar, we need hemp!!!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Dogs pooping randomly. Here, there, everywhere.

Afaik, in New York, they have fenced-off areas in which dog owners can let their pooches run around and poop.

That keeps the rest of the city poop-free.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

a) Loose, (unsealed) bearings in wheels.

Some people manage to regrease their own bearings, but they’re in a tiny minority of the population.

A more realistic scenario is someone taking their bike to the lbs because the bearings are grinding against the hub surface. By then it’s too late and the entire wheel gets tossed for recycling. An environmental snafu that shimano and sram need to address.

For most people, the convenience of fit-and-forget components on bikes should be part of the British standards, and loose bearings in wheels should be reserved for pro riders.

b) square-taper bottom brackets.

While we can appreiate the fit-and-forget durability of shimanos sealed bottom brackets, why persist with the square taper?

There’s precious few guarantees in life, but you can be pretty certain of the drive-side crank falling off a a square-taper bottom bracket.

Shimanos octalink system is a far more secure means to attach cranks to the bottom bracket and probably costs the same for shimano to manufacture.

So why do they persist in manufacturing square-taper bottom brackets?

It just ruins the overall cycling experience when someone’s crank falls off or they belatedly discover that they need to replace their wheels because some grit penetrated their hubs.

As a consumer rights/ sale of goods issue, I don’t think that loose bearings and square- taper bottom brackets are truly fit for purpose.

batfink
    Free Member

Estate agents
    Recruitment consultants
    Travel agents

All of these inexplicably hang-on, despite being obsolete

Also:

Shipping rubbish overseas to be recycled

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Grado headphones?

Never owned a pair. Apparently they offer a fantastic listening experience. Until they break!

Excluding North Korea and Iran, Grado have about seven billion potential customers.

Why they would need to design in product obsolescence by making their headphones so flimsy is beyond my meagre comprehension.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Cars (SUV’s) being leased at very low interest rates.

If someone can offer such preferential interest rates, why not extend it to white goods (fridges, washing machines), and just lease them?

Then the manufacturers of the white goods are obliged to make them more reliable.

Philby

Religion

squirrelking
    Free Member

A more realistic scenario is someone taking their bike to the lbs because the bearings are grinding against the hub surface. By then it’s too late and the entire wheel gets tossed for recycling. An environmental snafu that shimano and sram need to address.

Cones can easily be replaced, the issue is the lack of cups and always has been.

There’s precious few guarantees in life, but you can be pretty certain of the drive-side crank falling off a a square-taper bottom bracket.

Maybe if you’re running FSA Powerpro’s but nobody has bought them in 20 years.

5plusn8
    Free Member

the issue is the lack of cups and always has been.

In the 80’s you could buy cups. I replaced a few in suntour and other hubs.
    Have not seen any cups for sale for 25 years.

EDIT – SJS have Cmpag and Sturmey archer ones.
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/campagnolo-rear-hub-ball-cup-insert-fits-campagnolo-screwon-hubs-cda-chorus-athena-tipo/
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/sturmey-archer-sun-pinion-cup-hsa481/

sillyoldman

Amazon.

Virtue signalling

DrJ

Eton

squirrelking
    Free Member

In the 80’s you could buy cups.

Wee bit before my time 😉

Klunk
    Free Member

Virtue signalling

Yep can start with poppy wearing, sitting in front of a union jack and pictures of the queen.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Human beans.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Wee bit before my time

I’m just gonna add aging to the list.

TheWrongTrousers

Steve Wright in the afternoon
    Spam
    Pritti Patel

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Capitalism.

thols2

Michael Masi

ayjaydoubleyou

Northwind:

Highrollers

Highlight of the thread so far. Like a minion but worse in every way.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

The ability to sack staff with immediate effect, and replace them with cheaper contract labour.
    You reap what you sow…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

John Major’s Traffic Cones Hotline

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Human beans.

Actually Roald Dahl was quite good.

dogbone

A head of state based on who their mum / dad was.

footflaps

1. Fluorescent lights – Take ages to come on, always on the blink, bulbs a pain to dispose of/break easily, noisy.

I still buy CF lights over LED as they’re much brighter and seem to last longer eg hallway and landing lights where I just want one bright bulb (125W old school equivalent).

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.