• This topic has 67 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Marin.
Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Dutch man, 69, starts legal fight to identify as 20 years younger
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

can you spell out the difference so nobody makes that mistake in future?

It’s so multifaceted I’m unlikely to do it in a post, but here are a few bits. There are something like 17 different chromosomal abnormalities that make gender incredibly complicated. Some of these are edge cases that affect people invisibly without them ever fully realising. Some are more obvious edge cases that lead parents and doctors to make early decisions that can become incredibly distressing for people later in life. None of this is in any scientific dispute, it’s evidence, not ideology that’s put this in our laws and the NHS.

In the nineties I said something ignorant, and it was a conservative Christian nurse who set me straight on how complicated and non-binary gender can be. A lot of her peers and beliefs had been stacked against her understanding or acknowledging that, but she chose to go with the facts of what she’d seen and had to deal with professionally.

Thirty years later we still have gender essentialist idiots on forums though, who tend to take the bit about identification and make hilarious jokes about it. If they actually looked into the GRA and process of changing gender, or knew any trans people well at all, they’d understand that it’s absolutely hellish and no one commits to it for a giggle.

Every process in our society has a minority of bad actors, but in respect of gender, reactionary and alt-right types point to them in attempts to imply all trans people are insincere or wrong or something. That car insurance thing for instance: it’s a story about the law being an ass. There are equally ridiculous loopholes in other parts of the law, which is inevitable in such a complex system, but this one happens to relate to gender. Good luck to “David” if she’s being disingenuous and ever has to make a claim – the insurance company will be all over that. The story fundamentally tells us nothing about trans people and isn’t about them, but by association transphobes can use it as a wedge to try and drive their hateful views deeper into society.

In this way, the 69 year old guru campaigning to legally change his age has more in common with transphobes than trans people.

That doesn’t seem to spell out the difference at all, seems to totally dodge the question. Why is it not valid to believe to feel strongly that you’re a different age you your ‘actual’ age but is valid to feel strongly that you’re a different gender? I genuinely don’t feel may age, and it’s pretty common for elderly people to tell you they still feel 30 or whatever.  I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just asking you to spell out the difference, so others don’t make the mistake you’re warning of.

nach
    Free Member

Pointing out there’s a vast body of medical and cultural evidence for one causing people intense psychological pain, but not the other, is dodging the question? Jog on 😀

outofbreath
    Free Member

there’s a vast body of medical and cultural evidence for one causing people intense psychological pain, but not the other

Thanks for stating your view of the difference. It would have been a *lot* quicker to simply write “One causes people intense psychological pain but not the other.”.

DavidBelstein
    Free Member

Is anyone really “male” or “female”?

makes you think

poah
    Free Member

who probably thinks all women are shallow

they are (and men too).

legend
    Free Member

When is someone finally going to get round to removing the “B” from LGBT?! Totally out of date now

Back on topic, I can’t wait to be 20 years younger!

footflaps

there’s a vast body of medical and cultural evidence for one causing people intense psychological pain, but not the other

which is not the same as not causing pain, just no one may have collected the evidence yet.

outofbreath
    Free Member

which is not the same as not causing pain, just no one may have collected the evidence yet.

…and if pain is the measure of validity then Trans-people who don’t feel “intense psychological pain” are somehow invalid which is harsh to say the least.

Then there’s the issue of someone who *is* suffering “intense psychological pain” due to a mismatch of their own perception of their age and their “calender-age”. That person *is* valid under the ‘pain’ criteria.

So is ‘pain’ a differentiator at all?

Probably best not to judge people at all, but if you are going to judge people, at least pick a decent metric.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyway, now he’s famous and all the Tinder wimminz know how old he actually is, changing his age will be a bit pointless eh.

That person *is* valid under the ‘pain’ criteria.

Oh, I can assure you that there is a lot of pain involved when using Tinder.

outofbreath
    Free Member

he’d have to start a legal fight to not be considered ugly

Now that really *does* pass the pain test. Being considered ugly by society when you know you’re not really does cause “intense psychological pain”. DAMHIKIJDOK.

doordonot
    Free Member

It would have been a *lot* quicker to simply write “One causes people intense psychological pain but not the other.”.

in the interests of decent forum debate, there is no reason to deny a person the right to record a detailed account of their opinion – especially where it appears well written and reasoned – rather than attempting to capture it in easily digestible bites for the baying crowds.

Had nach just written the short comment, we would not have the benefit of its basis of opinion on what is clearly a deeply upsetting topic of conversation for some people. Perhaps, oob, you could keep your responses to less than sixty characters so we don’t have to wade through the chaff.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Perhaps, oob, you could keep your responses to less than sixty characters

Ack.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Does that mean if he wins he can only claim his pension 20 years later?

PrinceJohn

Does that mean if he wins he can only claim his pension 20 years later?

He did apparently say he’s happy to give up his pension as part of the ruling… should he win.

Although I imagine him to be wealthy enough to have plenty of income so not to need a state pension.

nach
    Free Member

Ageism is also an issue in our society, but if you think people in their 40’s not wanting to bang a dude who’s nearly 70 is ageism, I have some great deals to offer you on bridges.

OOB: thanks for all the very clear indicators for everyone to ignore your whataboutery.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

A 69-year-old Dutch “positivity guru”

He must be a pretty shyte “positivity guru” if he can’t be positive about himself and his age.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Anyway, now he’s famous and all the Tinder wimminz know how old he actually is, changing his age will be a bit pointless eh.

Not necessarily.

“Don’t I recognise you?”

“No, I don’t think so”.

“Yes I do, you’re the guy who changed his age so he could get his leg over with some younger totty”

“No, I identify as someone who has always been 20 years younger so I can’t be the same person you’re thinking of”

“But you look like you’re 70, not 50”

“I identify as someone who had a hard paper round as a child, which wasn’t as long ago as you think”

“Well, drop that zimmer and rip my knickers off then”

How can it fail?

squirrelking
    Free Member

<p>When is someone finally going to get round to removing the “B” from LGBT?! Totally out of date now</p>

<p>Oh believe me, there are plenty in that “community” who would love to see the back of the B’s (not fully committed you see).</p><p></p><p>As for the difference, as said transexuals have biology and science on there side, age dysphoria does not since a persons age is simply a measure of time passed since birth. Unless he’s going to tell us he’s a time traveller he’s failed at the first hurdle.</p>

leffeboy

Unless he’s going to tell us he’s a time traveller he’s failed at the first hurdle.

Next thing you are going to tell me The Doctor is a woman

rene59
    Free Member

Although I imagine him to be wealthy enough to have plenty of income so not to need a state pension.

If he had plenty income/wealth he wouldn’t need to go to court to become younger in order to match with the ladies. It’s not like wealthy older men are kryptonite to attractive young women.

legend
    Free Member

jonnyboi

Next thing you are going to tell me The Doctor is a woman

illegal alien who currently identifies as a woman actually

tjagain

Thing is if he looks 49 he is a very aged 49!  To me he looks into his 60s

zanelad
    Free Member

If he’s successful I kind of hope that some woman meets him, shags him and then reports him to the police cos she identifies as an 8 year old.

Serve the **** right.

Mister-P
    Free Member

He’s still going to die in the next 20 years. Probably be better spending his time and energy enjoying those years rather than wasting them being a tossbag..

outofbreath
    Free Member

As for the difference, as said transexuals have biology and science on there side, age dysphoria does not since a persons age is simply a measure of time passed since birth.

That’s different to Nach’s ‘pain’ difference, but leaving that aside is age simply a measure of time passed since birth? In one sense it is but I doubt this guy is asking to have the date he was born changed. I think age in this context is about aligning his age in years to the age the believes/feels is appropriate to him. That is different and loads of people feel an age different to their calendar age. In fact I think all of us do, which is why I’m surprised this is remotely controversial. (Well the legal aspect might be, but the fact someone feels a different age to their calendar age shouldn’t be.)

CountZero

People regularly mistake me as being around 10-15 years younger than I am, but my increasingly achy knees and shoulder are adding the same amount to how old I feel, and meanwhile my brain insists I’m actually around forty years younger than I actually am.

I’m confused 😐

Marin
    Free Member

I’d happily say I’m 20 years older and get my state pension now.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Dutch man, 69, starts legal fight to identify as 20 years younger’ is closed to new replies.