Home Forums Bike Forum Dt Swiss 180 hub issue premature bearing ware.

• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Sui.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dt Swiss 180 hub issue premature bearing ware.
    Sui
    Free Member

Hello all, this relates specifically to the ceramic bearings..  2 sets of wheels, (mine and a mates) have had both front and rear bearings go really tight (like you can feel it even pedalling ) over a period of 10 and 6 months use.  These are stupidly expensive bearings that should last, and on a previous set (not mine) we know they’ve lasted very well.  Has anyone else experienced this / heard similar.  Both sets were in xmc1200’s.

Thanks

tomhoward

No issue with my XMC1200s, 3 years old now. Bad batch?

Sui
    Free Member

Thanks Tom, that’s what I’m thinking.  Am exploring warranty with shop but no idea what DT are like in these situations.

mert
    Free Member

If DT Swiss don’t want to play, get some decent bearings instead.
    SKF or NTN both make very good bearings, in far more suitable materials than ceramic.

hammerandcycle
    Free Member

No issues with my 180 hubs, they far out lasted the carbon rims they were originally attached to. I’ve found that the bearings need to be perfectly square when fitting. If you remove the bearing does it run freely?

Sui
    Free Member
    hammerandcycle

Free Member

No issues with my 180 hubs, they far out lasted the carbon rims they were originally attached to. I’ve found that the bearings need to be perfectly square when fitting. If you remove the bearing does it run freely?

ive not removed the beaings yet, ill let the shop do that with proper tools, though i belive on my mates set i think the bearings ran pretty freely once out.  I’ve been reading that DT hubs have had a bit of a bad rep for machining tolerance and this is what has caused bearings to go to quick!

My previous King hubs i never had to replace bearings in years – and Hopes before that lasted ages too.

hatter

I ran my EXC 1200’s for 3 years and sold them with the original bearings still in them, the guy I sold them to has done a Scottish winter on them and hasn’t changed them yet.

I’d be having a word with the shop you bought them from.

nuke

I’ll be keeping an eye on my xmc1200s of a similar age but haven’t noticed anything.

Out of curiosity, were yours from Merlin (6 bolt rotor mounts)?

Sui
    Free Member
    nuke

I’ll be keeping an eye on my xmc1200s of a similar age but haven’t noticed anything.

Out of curiosity, were yours from Merlin (6 bolt rotor mounts)?

Hi, no these were centre lock with adaptors straight from the shop.  It’s worth taking the wheels off and spinning the bearings just with your fingers – they should be a really light action – in the bike with wheels and spunk on i hadnt noticed/paid attention until i did the usual mistake of cleaning my bike (off to America on Monday)..

hatter

DT bearings and seals are designed to work under load from a tightened up axle or QR so sometimes they can feel quite draggy in your hand but then run smoothly once they’re in the bike.

Do they feel better in the bike?

Sui
    Free Member

it was the under load bit that was making me think i’d put on a few extra pounds!

Sui
    Free Member

just been to shop to compare next to a new set – night and day difference.  DT have been approached, will let ye all know outcome.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.