Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Drought for the northern half of GB next?
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I can confirm that it is dry in Edinburgh. I have actually had to water plants! In fact, it’s so dry I put gravel tyres on my hardtail. I also had to go sweep the trails at our bike park due to all the loose gravel. Who sweeps trails? Normally they are muddy. I feel like an American.

I missed the summer two years ago due to being in a lab every day doing my MSC research project and now we’ve got lockdown super-mega-summer. Ugh.

longdog
    Free Member

Scotland (Shetland) defo North GB! Snow on and off since Sunday and other than the odd few days wet and cold. Pretty sure we’ve not seen over 10c this year yet. Had to pop to work yesterday and the car maxed out at 4c

MoreCashThanDash

Shop has sold out of Tunnocks Teacakes.

Let’s skip famine and go straight to Apocalypse 😱

Seriously though, I can’t believe this level of entitled moaning.

I think we’re reading different threads. I’m never totally sure when you’re joking any more…..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I can’t believe this level of entitled moaning

What are you on about?

piemonster

Kryts, I believe the thread is almost entirely a piss take.

I’m not 100% on you post at the minute, could be a double bluff 🤔

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Seriously though, I can’t believe this level of entitled moaning. A few months ago it was the opposite with floods and raging rivers, and now the sun as come out…

Did anyone else hear that whooshing noise?

I can only presume that it was some strange atmospheric phenomenon driven, perhaps, by the prevailing dry conditions in Scotland. For some reason, the lack of rainfall up here of late seems to have gone unmentioned thus far in the thread?

Houns

Very wet winter causing crops to planted late/not at all will be pushing food prices up, now a drought on top of that? Not good

Sadly warm wet winters and dry the rest of the year may be the new normal

rugbydick

I live in Scotland. In between the rain and snow showers, it has been totally dry.

Spud

Nevermind that, there seems to be a scarcity of nuns in the the East Midlands against which to check how dry it actually is….

fazzini

Clearly it is not the weekend when no doubt it will tip it down, and I am working from home so no chance to enjoy any dry/sunny/warm weather, so, therefore, I can confirm that it is dry today here. I checked scientifically by sticking my head out of the window and as it didn’t get wet, I have come to the conclusion that it must be not raining or wet, so hence it must be dry.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Before the rain last week the trails here in south Aberdeenshire were drier and dustier than they were at the end of the long hot dry spell in summer 2018. All but 1 of the springs that run across the track on the top of my local hill had dried up, including 2 that didn’t in 2018. I was out on my bike last Friday in the rain and the trails were underwater but a day later without rain they were back to dusty again it was astonishing how fast the water had soaked away.

andy5390

Had a couple of showers in the NE UK.

Anyone know what it’s been like in Scotland ?

Kryton57

Kryts, I believe the thread is almost entirely a piss take.

Sorry my bad, took it seriously whilst eating my toast, apologies…

faerie
    Free Member

You should take them to court for failing to collect the vast quantities of rain that fell constantly between September and January.

Seriously though, I can’t believe this level of entitled moaning. A few months ago it was the opposite with floods and raging rivers, and now the sun as come out…

Eh? Have I said something to upset you? Where do you you get that from in my post? I am not an entitled land owner, I was stating the fact that my council has issued a warning to those are; which supports what the OP has observed. I’m environmentally aware and I checked SEPA which shows that my area has had less than average rainfall for 5 of the last 6 months. I’m certainly not moaning about it, what’s that going to achieve?

epicyclo

I’m in the North of Scotland. It’s stopped being dry.

Yesterday was mainly dry, but on the dog walk on the higher ground there were desultory flakes of snow, and the top of the mountain is a wee bit whiter.

scotroutes

Had to pop to work yesterday and the car maxed out at 4c

Yeah, but have you fitted your summer tyres yet?

oldtennisshoes

I did – and we’ve had a couple of frosts since.
    Makes.You.Think!

rhinofive

I rode Sandhill Sandpit, Sandy Lane, Sandy yesterday; can report it was quite dry

fazzini

Hourly update…still no rain

johndrummer
    Free Member

I live in Yorkshire. Guess what. Yes, it’s been pretty dry lately

Makes up for autumn 2019

MoreCashThanDash

Nevermind that, there seems to be a scarcity of nuns in the the East Midlands against which to check how dry it actually is….

There’s a convent in Derby if you really must…..

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s drier than an Arabs flip flop here.

I’m thinking of changing my name to Parchy

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I put a racing ralph on the front at the weekend

trail_rat
    Free Member

Scotland

Currently raining. .

Grass needs cut…. Not today now oh well

MrOvershoot

Kryton57
    Subscriber

Sorry my bad, took it seriously whilst eating my toast, apologies…

Firstly “my bad”!!! WTF

Secondly if toast is tilting your ability to see a light hearted thread I suggest you change your choice de jour of breakfast comestible.

I sense the stress of lack of sales is getting to you? I might moan about working more hours than ever (for no extra pay) but I guess it means I’m occupied & not worried about my job?
    Though any semblance of fitness has disappeared and I’m pastey white despite the on average warmer & sunnier weather 😉

gordimhor

I in too Scotland and here been it’s dry live. Or something like that.

oldtennisshoes

Mrs OTS has cracked open the sprinkler!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Secondly if toast is tilting your ability to see a light hearted thread I suggest you change your choice de jour of breakfast comestible.

Took many white carbs

MoreCashThanDash

Mrs OTS has cracked open the sprinkler!

Anyone else not entirely sure what that could mean but too scared to ask?

oldtennisshoes

null

null

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just minded I abandoned a real life ride on Saturday due to being caught in a thunder storm with rain so big it hurt on impact.

It’s also raining again after a hiatus over lunch.

scotroutes

Achnagart, Highland has had 139.2mm of rain since Thursday evening with around 87mm falling in the last 24 hours… and it’s still raining. This area would typically see around 90mm of rain in the whole of May.

Bunnyhop

Here just south of ‘rainy’ Manchester. we’ve had about 5 x 3 minute showers in the last 4 odd weeks. The wind had immediately dried those tiny showers. Grass is starting to look brown. Pond is at its lowest and I’m running out of water from 3 butts for the fruit and veg.

Parchy Panther – love it.

oldtennisshoes

I though5 the Tay was looking a bit higher yesterday. Still little rain here, though it’s been pretty windy. 💨💨💨

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Drought for the northern half of GB next?’ is closed to new replies.