• This topic has 244 replies, 74 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 245 total)
  • Doorstep God Botherers.
  • PhilAmon
    Free Member

Really? My daughter when she was 30 seconds old was guilty of sin? Because your holy book says that she was born into a collective Original Sin for which she must atone.

Utterly despicable.

A baby has no understanding of right or wrong, she is below the age of accountability as far as the bible is concerned.

Being “born into sin” is talking about human nature, our natural desire to be selfish. Good people fight against this and are therefore less selfish in comparison. But there is only so far our efforts can go, God wants to take away that nature so that there isn’t the battle to do right, its in your nature to do right. But first we have to accept that we are in the wrong.

mcboo
    Free Member

Nononononononononono. Go read your holy book pal. Born. Into. Sin.

I’m satisfied just to get people thinking about things they might not normally give much thought about.

I’m not going to allow my kids heads to be filled with this garbage. Children should be encouraged to think for themselves, enquire, ask questions, have fun and learn. They dont need this hocus pocus telling them that from day one they are guilty sinners who will be punished.

bazzer
    Free Member

Cool we now have moved from a thread on doorstepping to actual door stepping which is great. Though I am not sure what will be more scary PhilAmon, here or a strangers door.

Can you answer me a question though.

Why does god want us to praise him ?

hels
    Free Member

I know, its all very post modern isn’t it ?? We need to make up some yoof lingo for online proselytizing, cos I doubt they could spell that.

On the subject of shunning, there was a Salvation Army family in my street, awfully nice, daughter my age at school. We were friendly with them, I went to running club with them, got lifts to the Sally Army hall for Gymnastics classes etc.

Then they went on holiday and couldn’t find anybody to look after their cat, so they had it put down.

We shunned them.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

God wants to take away that nature so that there isn’t the battle to do right, its in your nature to do right. But first we have to accept that we are in the wrong.

You don’t need god to do this. There are plenty of people doing the right thing who aren’t religous.

Why are we to accept we are in the wrong? Wrong about what exactly?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

God wants to take away that nature so that there isn’t the battle to do right, its in your nature to do right. But first we have to accept that we are in the wrong.

Didn’t God put that nature in us in the first place? Why are we in the wrong for being as God made us?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Then they went on holiday and couldn’t find anybody to look after their cat, so they had it put down.

😯
    That’s astonishing.

Tim
    Free Member

We had a couple of older lady JW’s come round recently, and they were quite forceful in convincing me that I was wrong! I played it as a bit of a game and had a very polite chat with them on the doorstep. I would have invited them in, but I was only wearing a dressing gown and pants.

They gave me a flyer detailing how ‘evil’ the rise of paganism in my local area was (commuter belt Hampshire of all places!), and to watch out for being misled by psychics dealing in ‘Astronomy’ Sadly i didnt think to keep the flyer as it was brilliant 🙂

The genuinely sad thing is that they clearly had been brainwashed throughout their lifes to the point where they had refused education and didn’t understand a lot of basic concepts (to someone of my age) – e.g. when it came down to it they really didnt know or understand what the absolute basics of evolution were, or the difference between astronomy and astrology, or the fact that Pagans arent actually evil, and the comedy of a missionary spreading the word of an ‘evil religion’…so they got very flummoxed when I didnt stick to the script 🙂

But I did get them onto string theory and singularitys, just to see how long they would continue arguing. I won because they made the first excuse that they had to go!

D0NK

We’re all sinners, including me

don’t be starting with your judgements on us on here

Cougar

Talking to people on the street. Sometimes we have meetings outside too.

How does that work out for you? Do you get a lot of interest?

what is right to one is a step to far to another.

So what you’re saying is, you’re homophobic?

A baby has no understanding of right or wrong, she is below the age of accountability as far as the bible is concerned.

Could you point out where in the Bible it covers ages of accountability? I’ve not come across that one.

PhilAmon
    Free Member

Nononononononononono. Go read your holy book pal. Born. Into. Sin.

Your right, there is no verse in the bible that mentions accountability directly, but the principle is there, the bible says we will give account for our sins. Can i put it to you that if a child was too young to understand what they were doing, how could they give account?

also have a look at Matthew 19:14

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Then they went on holiday and couldn’t find anybody to look after their cat, so they had it put down

I dont really get what your trying to say.

Was the cat old ? Did they get a new cat ? Everytime they wanted to go away did they get a new cat put down.

Im not sure what your saying should they have just left it to fend for itself ? I dunno, Im not a cat owner could it look after itself ?

How long was the holiday ? Was it like a really big one ? Did they go on holiday more often ?

Surely the problem was they brought a cat they could nt look after ? If they went out and repeated they’re mistake and brought a new one that would be reckless.

Also why didnt you look after it.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i either tell em that i am in direct contact with god and he’s decided that they’re sinners, or that i used to be the son of god but now the medication helps me understand that my dad although an architect, did not design the world, just a few sea life centres and a shopping centre in aldershot.

Tim
    Free Member

or that i used to be the son of god but now the medication helps me understand that my dad although an architect, did not design the world, just a few sea life centres and a shopping centre in aldershot.

Brilliant 😆

GrahamS

Could you point out where in the Bible it covers ages of accountability?

It’s in the small print, after the bit that goes: “Your soul may be at risk if you do not keep up prayers. The temperature of Hell may go up as well as down. Your statutory rights are not effective.”

mcboo
    Free Member

See, we’ve had a couple of threads lately on religion, we all bend over backwards not offend, have been some good chats. Problem is, when I come face to face (as it were) with an actual Christian, I just can’t believe they actually believe this nonsense.

Christian teaching is very specific. Original sin isnt a status that is earned through misdemeaners, it is INHERITED from Adam, so my daughter, according to your holy book is born that way. What a disgusting concept.

D0NK

Thought OS was catholic but wiki suggests there’s a few new testament religions go in for it in varying forms. Sin of adam, hmm I thought everything was all Eves fault. Pretty nasty anyway.

Tim
    Free Member

also have a look at Matthew 19:14

I’ve heard his match up with Austin 3:16 at next years SummerSlam is going to be Biblical 🙂
    (I dont actually watch wrestling, any similarity to a real event is an unfortunate coincidence)

(although i know that Steve Austin was called 3:16)

(I dont know why i know that – late night sky TV when i was meant to be doing GCSE revision)

(and Macho Man Randy Savage is dead, i think)

(I did use to watch wrestling wth him in when i was about 10)

hels
    Free Member

We would have looked after the cat if we had known, that was the worst of it !

My mother didn’t tell me for ages why we were weren’t allowed to be friends any more, and when she did I was quite upset.

Obviously I’m not saying all Salvation Army people are cat-killers, just that family, but it did demonstrate some rather extreme hypocrisy.

And yes I did grow up in a weird place – we had another family who everyone avoided, they were Dutch (or maybe Saffer can’t wuite remember) anyway they had made their house into a bit of a survivalists retreat, fences and dogs etc. Their son had a glass eye where he blew himself up trying to make fireworks with some gunpowder they had lying about the place.

Cougar

Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks, that’s where it’s at.

clubber
    Free Member

Christian teaching is very specific. Original sin isnt a status that is earned through misdemeaners, it is INHERITED from Adam

Seriously, you’re as bad as them. Just because he’s gay, that doesn’t mean it’s all AdamW’s fault… 😉

Tim
    Free Member

Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks, that’s where it’s at.

Big Daddy looking for his needle in Giant Haystacks?

eugh

Tim
    Free Member

Seriously, you’re as bad as them. Just because he’s gay, that doesn’t mean it’s all AdamW’s fault.

Everything is Adam Werritys fault 🙂

PhilAmon
    Free Member

We are born with a sinful nature, you don’t have to teach a child to do wrong, but that’s as far as I would go with the ‘original sin’ concept. the Sin itself is ours. If I went to Tesco and stole a Twix I couldn’t blame Adam, I’d have to take responsibility for my own actions. I have been accused of judging others by saying we are all sinners, but can anyone here honestly say they have gone their whole life without ever sinning? without stealing, lying, envying? as Jesus said “let he who has no sin cast the first stone” he said that because people were judging others without looking inside themselves. We have to accept that we have all sinned.

1 John 1:8 says “if we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves”

Cougar

On the subject of shunning, there was a Salvation Army family in my street,

Cats aside, the Sally Army are a pro-life, anti-euthanasia bunch who think that if you’re gay you should be celibate. I’d shun them too.

Cougar

PhilAmon > still waiting on a reply here, did you miss my earlier post?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Holy rollers doorstepping me get the same as any other person doorstepping me. the very act of doorstepping is rude and as such they have lost any protection from rudeness in return – same as politicians or anyone else who knocks on my door uninvited without good cause.

Religion is only tolerable when it is between consenting adults in private.

D0NK

Obviously I’m not saying all Salvation Army people are cat-killers, just that family, but it did demonstrate some rather extreme hypocrisy.

Ooh I’ve got a “religious cat killer” story too but this is maybe not the time to share, might be seen as inflammatory.

PhilAmon it’s not just that you’re judging us as sinners, it’s that the big man (not you, honest) has judged us and we’re all going to burn in hell for eternity for it. That kind of thing puts me on edge.

AdamW
    Free Member

Seriously, you’re as bad as them. Just because he’s gay, that doesn’t mean it’s all AdamW’s fault.

Everything is Adam Werritys fault

😯 Erm, before I get inundated, this AdamW’s surname is WAINWRIGHT. And NOT WERRITY!

But I have been considered by some Christians to be the servant of the devil so I guess you could be half-right. 😀

clubber
    Free Member

Which half? 🙂

AdamW
    Free Member

We are born with a sinful nature

I’m not.

If I went to Tesco and stole a Twix I couldn’t blame Adam, I’d have to take responsibility for my own actions.

Grr! 👿 Go-on, it’s pick on me day, isn’t it?! 😀

I have been accused of judging others by saying we are all sinners, but can anyone here honestly say they have gone their whole life without ever sinning?

Depends what you mean on sinning. If you mean ‘did someone wrong’ then of course. If you mean ‘did something god didn’t like’ then of course not, silly.

as Jesus said “let he who has no sin cast the first stone” he said that because people were judging others without looking inside themselves.

If you mean the latter definition (against god) then please pass me that pebble. After all, since I’m being blamed for everything around here I may as well get hung for a sheep than a lamb!

We have to accept that we have all sinned.

I don’t.

philconsequence
    Free Member

personally i’ve never sinned. ever, in my whole life.

because i’m not religious and i don’t believe in sinning.

i believe in doing nice things or not so nice things, the concept of a sin is not something i believe in… especially as an emotion (envy) is classed as a sin, if it were me i’d re-write the list of ‘sins’ to include only acts that can be forced onto an un-concenting lifeform, emotions are part of the normal human experience, people without emotions tend to end up doing some very nasty things i’ve noticed.

i’ve done some not so nice things in my past… breaking the hearts of many a lady for example… would god prefer i stayed in a relationship that isnt going anywhere? however i also spend most of my time when i’m not sleeping trying to nice things for other people 🙂

you can’t judge me as a sinner, i’m too friendly :mrgreen: also… i’m not a libra as i dont believe in astrology.

PhilAmon
    Free Member

lol its not personal Adam :p if I exchanged ‘sinned’ with ‘done wrong’ would you accept it then? because its the same thing.

surfer
    Free Member

if I exchanged ‘sinned’ with ‘done wrong’ would you accept it then?

But its not the same thing is it? its very different.

AdamW
    Free Member

lol its not personal Adam :p if I exchanged ‘sinned’ with ‘done wrong’ would you accept it then? because its the same thing.

“done wrong” yep, but I am under the illusion that “sinning” is “doing something against god” (of whatever flavour you have).

Quick wikipediaing:

In religion, sin (also called peccancy) is the violation or deviation of an eternal divine law or standard. The term sin may also refer to the state of having committed such a violation. Christians believe the moral code of conduct is decreed by God (cf Epistle to the Romans chapter 7: ‘the law code itself is God’s good and common sense’ (verse 8 The Message (Bible)).

Now confused. I’m gay and I *do* know that Christians get knickers firmly entwisted about that and consider rumpy-pumpy to be sinning. I don’t. I’m not doing wrong. Or if I am I’ll need a quick trip to A&E. 😀

D0NK

“let he who has no sin cast the first stone” hmm
    “let he who has not done wrong cast the first stone” better
    “let he who has never been a naughty boy cast the first stone” bit pythonesque

mcboo
    Free Member

I dont need your holy ghost to tell me I’m doing wrong, I have a built in human sense of decency. We only made it out of Africa (oops sorry I forgot, we can’t possibly be descendents of apes can we) because we as a species co-operate and look out for each other.

I dont need you and your judgemental Dictator-In-The-Sky to tell me how to live. What kind of god makes a bunch of people in his image but leaves them full of sin so that he can test and punish them? What is this, some kind of cosmic North Korea?

D0NK

Christians get knickers firmly entwisted about that and consider rumpy-pumpy to be sinning.

now come on adam they don’t consider sex to be sinning just sex that isn’t with your wife* (or husband) and/or the none procreational variety.

Either way you’re in trouble, sorry mate.

*religious ceremonys only, none of your civil partnership rubbish.

swiss01
    Free Member

i rather like the god types round the door if i’ve got the time. i do wonder tho if they’ve got a list of where to go. the last lot, brethren i think, i had a grand doctrinal disagreement with. so much so that they’ve never been back and i got myself a bible so that i could proper get into it with them some more. on the whole, despite some wacky belief systems i find them a whole lot more tolerant than a lot of the comments above.

mcboo
    Free Member

i find them a whole lot more tolerant than a lot of the comments above.

Somehow I doubt that. And sometimes tolerance is over-rated. On judgement day I’m going to be on the side of the gays.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 245 total)

The topic ‘Doorstep God Botherers.’ is closed to new replies.