• This topic has 244 replies, 74 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 245 total)
  • Doorstep God Botherers.
  • rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I enjoy chatting with the local Jehovas Witnesses – they come round about every 6 months – used to be a couple of youngish girls – I think I had started to instill a few doubts as I robustly defended my position as a virtuous pagan – and then the next time I got a couple of old biddies.

Cougar

You do it with a buddy, who’ll be someone you’ve never met before.

Always two there are, a master and an apprentice.

phil.w
    Free Member

I think anyone who wants to spend their own time basically being nice to people should be applauded, not mocked

If your talking about Jehovah’s then it’s not actually in their interest to convert you, what with there only being a limited number of spaces in heaven you’d only be competition.

Part of being a good Jehovah is spreading the word, in simple terms it earns you brownie points from god. You don’t get extra points for a conversion.

So essentially they are on your doorstep for purely self serving interests, trying to guarantee they are one of the lucky ‘rulers from heaven’.

If they were being nice they would knock on the door and offer to do some odd-jobs or some such.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I once had a fascinating chat about ‘evil’ with two I let in out of the cold and rain.

Was a lot more interesting that trying to discuss things with some of the atheists on here….

I think they’re dangerous and deluded fantasists who prey on the vulnerable.

Personally I think companies offering easy credit, catalogue firms, betting shops/companies etc are far, far more destructive in our society, than a few bods who want others to share in something that makes them happy, but there you go…

phil.w
    Free Member

Personally I think companies offering easy credit, catalogue firms, betting shops/companies etc are far, far more destructive in our society,

Finding something worse doesn’t excuse a lesser wrong.

Cougar

You don’t get extra points for a conversion.

Is that why there aren’t many JW rugby players?

bazzer
    Free Member

Elfin,

What about the Shunning thing though where people are pushed away from their friends and family. You have to admit that is dangerous and pretty destructive ?

http://www.xjw.com/shunning.html

hora
    Free Member

When I was younger I was baptised by proxy for over 200 people.

I’ll probably get flamed for that.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m always slightly conflicted at turning away the Jehovah Witnesses.
    Sometimes the ladies are quite hot.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

disturbing me in my own home to talk about your belief is not nice in my book its annoying

+1, what they’re doing is rude so there’s no expectation of politeness from the doorstepee(?) IMO.

nonk
    Free Member

i dont mind a chat with them to be honest, i am fairly keen to listen to anyone that has an opinion on what it’s all about. i tend to tell em nice and early that i wont be joining the clan though.
    i usually get on to the wicked people thing fairly quickly as i feel they need to sort their sh@t out on this or they are just never going to get anywhere. 🙂
    they come to your door through a perceived need to help you so i dont like to be rude to them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They’re a hell of a lot politer than the TV licence people.

An it’s not like their percieved benifit form the activity is harming you is it?

hels
    Free Member

There are a lot worse about than the Jehovahs. I went to college 6-7th form in a girls school, there were a lot of Exclusive Brethren at the school, a more fundamentalist offshoot of the Plymouth Brethren I think.

We made friends with one of the girls, which was not easy as she wasn’t meant to talk to us. Tried to help her when she eventually left school, left the Brethren, got her a job and found her a flat. There were some nasty confrontations involving the cops when her brothers came around to try and take her back. Her family never spoke to her again, messed up her life for good.

GrahamS

As I mentioned on the BIG religion thread, we’ve got a Jehovah’s Witness who has chapped on our door at least a dozen times now.

MrsGrahamS made the mistake of inviting him in and engaging in proper conversation the first time he called, because (as a doctor) she was interested in JW’s beliefs about blood transfusions, transplants, injections etc and how best to talk to them about that in her clinics.

Now we get visits where he alternately gives us books or asks us if we read the last lot yet. If we tell him we’re not interested we get more books to explain why we should be.

He does seem like a perfectly genuine person who is obviously just earnestly committed to his faith. It’s not something I subscribe to, but I’m not going to be rude to the guy – he’s just doing what he thinks is right.

(I did have a flick through the book on “why evolution is wrong” and the “science” caused my brain to grow fur)

Mike_D
    Free Member

Say “no thanks” and shut the door, just like anyone else trying to sell stuff.

D0NK

Personally I think companies offering easy credit, catalogue firms, betting shops/companies etc are far, far more destructive in our society

anyone knocking on my door to flog me a credit card will get short shrift too. Actually anybody trying to sell me anything from the doorstep is on a none-starter.

My sisters MiL is JW, her hubby and son are atheist and my sister is turning pro with the CoE, (come to think of it not actually CoE, some christian splinter group can’t remember which). Dunno if the JW congregation suggest she should shun them but she doesn’t.
    Edit ah I see it’s former members that get shunned not none members, stil harsh tho.

scud
    Free Member

When at university one of housemates had them call round, he said to them that he was just of out to college, but if they were in the area tomorrow would they call back as he was interested in what they had to say.

In the intervening 24 hours, he had got hold of some old sheets painted satanic symbols on them and hung them from the walls and used fake blood to “decorate” the place… the look on their face as they entered the living room was priceless, they left faster than Usain Bolt.

PhilAmon
    Free Member

Not a JW or a Mormon here, an evangelical Christian. And although knocking people’s doors is not something I’m a fan of personally, giving out leaflets and open air witnessing are things I’m regularly involved in. Christians don’t believe that our works get us into heaven; we believe Jesus paid the price for us. We witness about what God has done for us out of a genuine concern for/desire to do good to others, in a similar way that you might want to get someone struggling with their weight or depression etc. on a bike, you know it’ll do them good. I genuinely believe life is better on this side of the fence and I’ve been on both sides, that’s why I tell people what I believe.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’m always slightly conflicted at turning away the Jehovah Witnesses.
    Sometimes the ladies are quite hot.

I went out with an ex-JW once. Stunningly pretty. She was filthy too. We never used to get bothered in the park when they used to wonder round chatting to people, which was useful too.

mcboo
    Free Member

“We witness about what God has done for us out of a genuine concern for/desire to do good to others, in a similar way that you might want to get someone struggling with their weight or depression etc. on a bike, you know it’ll do them good. I genuinely believe life is better on this side of the fence and I’ve been on both sides, that’s why I tell people what I believe. “

Fair enough, but if you don’t mind I’ve already got the Enlightenment and science. You can have your Iron Age desert mystic, I will take Thomas Paine and Voltaire.

GrahamS

We witness about what God has done for us out of a genuine concern for/desire to do good to others, in a similar way that you might want to get someone struggling with their weight

I’m happily imagining the “Disciples Of iDave” standing outside McDonalds or Greggs and handing out dietary advice to the fatties. 😀

hora
    Free Member

Mormons, re becoming a missionary. No you don’t have to. There is a choice. I’ve alot of time for someone who has to walk round in all weathers in basically inappropriate clothing knocking, all day long and being rejected countless times a day. It must really be a roller coaster for a young persons faith- the constant lows and then the highs. Two years, prime years of their life dedicated to their faith.

Whenever I’ve seen a couple of them I’ll stop, smile and talk.

AdamW
    Free Member

I think anyone who wants to spend their own time basically being nice to people should be applauded, not mocked

They knock on your door. You do not ask for them to do so.

Or would me going door to door extolling the pleasures of mansex be considered being ‘nice to people’. They may consider they are doing their gods’ work but I consider it rude.

I’m always polite but they are not “being nice to people”.

mcboo
    Free Member

-2…….where do my gay pals fit into your evangelism by the way?

And Mormons? Up until 1965 the Mormon church regarded blacks as being officially sub-human. Thats in the book of Mormon I believe. Please remove yourself from my doorstep.

Torminalis
    Free Member

basically being nice to people

If they were being nice they would be interested in my beliefs and not automatically assume that I’m wrong. I think that is quite nasty.

GrahamS

me going door to door extolling the pleasures of mansex

Now that would be an eye-opening pamphlet 😆

hora
    Free Member

….and any religion comes out smelling of roses? The fiddler cover ups and attitude towards homosexuality?

t-obias
    Free Member

On the Shunning issue;

A very good friend of mine got married last year. Most of his family were JW, although he wasn’t himself. But because he was married in a Christian church, his parents and brother turned their backs on him. His sister went to the wedding and has now been shunned too.

Despite this, I have to agree with being nice to them. Their faith may be extreme in places, but I hardly live a perfect life myself. They’re human when all’s said and done. I try and treat others how I’d like to be treated. Is it really so hard to be polite, say “No thank you” and close your door?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Up until 1965 the Mormon church regarded blacks as being officially sub-human.

In mitigation, so did most white people.

mcboo
    Free Member

“A very good friend of mine got married last year. Most of his family were JW, although he wasn’t himself. But because he was married in a Christian church, his parents and brother turned their backs on him. His sister went to the wedding and has now been shunned too.”

Well at least he has a decent sister and friends. The rest of his family are despicable.

cheese@4p

If I just say “no thank you” and stand there do they just say “OK then”, turn around and go away?
    No, they are persistent bleeders, so I have to try my best to be polite whilst closing the door on them.
    Net result is they make me feel bad about myself and wish they would stay away.

PhilAmon
    Free Member

They knock on your door. You do not ask for them to do so

Which is why I’m not a big fan of door knocking, but at the same time if you had come up with a cure for cancer, you would do your best to make your voice heard, you would feel a duty to.

where do my gay pals fit into your evangelism by the way?

Assuming that was aimed at me, I would witness to a homosexual in exactly the same way as i would a hetrosexual. The bible says “all have sinned and fallen short” We’re all sinners, including me.

If they were being nice they would be interested in my beliefs

we are. As someone said on the first page after speaking to religious people “I hope I made them think” I don’t expect to convert people after one conversation, I’m satisfied just to get people thinking about things they might not normally give much thought about.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

I lived next door to Jehovahs Witnesses and also had some of their family live across the street. They were all very nice and polite and never tried to convert me nor my family. However one of them left the church and was disowned by both the church and his family. The guys wife continued to go to church for a while but she was made to feel uncomfotable because her husband had left. She left too.

I don’t think this makes them kind at all, and while I will nod in the passing I find their beliefs disgraceful and ignorant.

Well any religion which is based on creationism is based on ignorance really.

Cougar

open air witnessing

What’s that, then?

They’re human when all’s said and done.

They’ve disowned their own son and daughter because they attended a wedding in a building they didn’t like? Human isn’t the word I’d have used.

Is there much difference anyway? I thought JWs were a form of Christianity?

mcboo
    Free Member

“where do my gay pals fit into your evangelism by the way?

Assuming that was aimed at me, I would witness to a homosexual in exactly the same way as i would a hetrosexual. The bible says “all have sinned and fallen short” We’re all sinners, including me.”

No we arent. Having sex isnt wrong.

And my children arent sinners, this idea that we are all born into sin and must make ourselves well. Another utterly despicable idea.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I had a couple come round the other day. They just said “it’s a nice day and you probably won’t want to spend it listening to us so if you want a couple of leaflets we can leave them, if your not bothered then we won’t”.

Took the leaflets to see what they were selling and to be polite and I’ve not seen em since – seems fair enough.

Do other religions do doorstepping, are there Islamic equivalents for example?

hunterst
    Free Member

I find it a bit rude that someone could think my whole belief system is so meaningless that it could be changed by knocking on my door.

By the way – my wife believes in god and goes to church regularly – i dont. She says i will find out one day – i say so will she.

Each to his or her own – if people want to believe the big book of fairy stories – that’s up to them. Just please don’t try to push it on me.

2tyred

I think anyone who wants to spend their own time basically being nice to people should be applauded, not mocked.

+1

People knocking on my door wishing to speak politely with me does not anger me.

In my experience, they’ve never been anything other than pleasant and polite if a little downhearted when I explain I’m not interested.

I’m quite sure I’d fundamentally disagree with them on many questions, and perhaps find some of their beliefs backward and others downright repellent, but that’s not part of the doorstep exchange.

I do feel sorry for their kids when they’re taken along though.

PhilAmon
    Free Member

open air witnessing
    What’s that, then?

Talking to people on the street. Sometimes we have meetings outside too.

No we arent. Having sex isnt wrong.

We all have differing opinions on what is right and wrong. what is right to one is a step to far to another. There will always be disagreements on what is right and wrong. But one thing is beyond all doubt is that in some point in every one of our lives we have done wrong to somebody at some time.

mcboo
    Free Member

“But one thing is beyond all doubt is that in some point in every one of our lives we have done wrong to somebody at some time. “

Really? My daughter when she was 30 seconds old was guilty of sin? Because your holy book says that she was born into a collective Original Sin for which she must atone.

Utterly despicable.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 245 total)

The topic ‘Doorstep God Botherers.’ is closed to new replies.