• This topic has 23,120 replies, 784 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by nickc.
Viewing 40 posts - 21,161 through 21,200 (of 23,121 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

Thats what happens when you don’t pay them for their services

maccruiskeen

Is a factor he has lost access to any decent lawyers

What Rudi or Cohen?

He’s never had good taste in legal representatives TBH…

he’s draining the swamp by successively employing worse and worse lawyers to undertake tasks  that ulitimatley result in them being shamed, professionally humiliated, disbarred or in prison.

he’s doing us all a favour- imagine unwitting hiring Rudi, or Sidney Powell just because you’d found their ad in the yellow pages. That would be just awful.

no risk of that now.

kelvin

Well, the election wagon is now well underway… and he’s not bothering with any mask this time… or if he is it’s a mask made of his own faeces and the blood of his victims…

kelvin

Stating the obvious, but the media should be wise to this by now, and act according… no pretending to be surprised after the event if the USA ends up where Russia is now in terms of the end of truth.

convert

Is there not some sort of offence for being publicly vile about someone a court has just found you guilty of assaulting and defaming? Even if a civil case. Similarly at what point is a law broken if you campaign for election by using lies as part of your pitch? If he can get away with still claiming the last election was rigged and the people protesting at the capital were heroes; could you also you also claim your opponent was a murderer with no evident and still there be no comeback? At what point does lying have a consequence?

mattyfez

At what point does lying have a consequence?

In the US, only when you are under oath in a court, I guess?

vlad_the_invader

Freedom of speech, innit…

tjagain

IMO its actually much simpler than that.  Trump is a psychopath and thus in his mind he cannot be wrong or lose.  so what version of reality he says must be correct in his head.  I think he really believes the nonsense

dissonance

could you also you also claim your opponent was a murderer with no evident and still there be no comeback?

In terms of a political campaign there would be no direct comeback (I would say aside from voters being repelled but in this case sadly that doesnt seem to be true).
    The accusing of murder isnt that far fetched. Trump accused Ted Cruz father of being with Lee Harvey oswald right before the JFk assassination. No real response and Cruz soon became a bootlicker.

The only real response is for the opponent to sue you for libel/slander. However they would risk the how long does it take to get through the courts and giving it additional publicity.

legometeorology
    Free Member

Is there not some sort of offence for being publicly vile about someone a court has just found you guilty of assaulting and defaming?

Another defamation case?

legometeorology
    Free Member

IMO its actually much simpler than that. Trump is a psychopath and thus in his mind he cannot be wrong or lose. so what version of reality he says must be correct in his head. I think he really believes the nonsense

As a slight extension to that, I don’t think truth is something he considers a relevant part of reality. I mean, I don’t think he ever asks himself ‘is what I said empirically true’, and I think he would be genuinely surprised to hear that, for some people, understanding how the world works, and distinguishing truth from fiction, is quite central to their lives.

He just thinks in terms of winners and losers, the powerful and powerless, those with fans and those without, etc. Everything else is a means to those ends.

That’s why, in a way, he’s not the most dangerous of politicians, as he doesn’t actually have an ideology. He would only commit a genocide if he thought it would win him fans, and he’d stop one immediately if he thought he was loosing them.

MoreCashThanDash

That’s why, in a way, he’s not the most dangerous of politicians, as he doesn’t actually have an ideology. He would only commit a genocide if he thought it would win him fans, and he’d stop one immediately if he thought he was loosing them.

I’m not feeling reassured by thst point….

nickc

I think he really believes the nonsense

I’ve read a good deal of the books available about him and his presidency, and the most recognisable description for me comes from a NYT journalist; Maggie Haberman who wrote of him:

she was often asked to “decipher” Trump’s actions, “but the truth is, ultimately, almost no one really knows him.”

“He works things out in real time in front of all of us. Along the way, he reoriented an entire country to react to his moods and emotions,” Haberman wrote, per The Atlantic. “Some know him better than others, but he is often simply, purely opaque, permitting people to read meaning and depth into every action, no matter how empty they might be.”

Ultimately she though that Trump doesn’t really have a psyche and that she felt that he’s often unknown even to himself.  She thought that’s why he can say the things he does, and sound sincere about it, he literally conjures it up in the moment, and its as real as it needs to be in that moment to him, and represent his true feeling and expression at that time, and its why he can say something 180degs to that the very next minute.

inkster
    Free Member

CNN is under new ownership and they want to shift the channel to the right. With the debacle at Fox News they see a perfect opportunity to grab some of Fox’s audience.

The event was a car crash but I bet CNN are more concerned with the metrics and are busy digging into the data trying to see how many new viewers tuned in to watch. They’ll be most interested in retaining those new viewers and building upon them. So expect more of this nonsense, the new viewers will need a bit more red meat before they start to tune in to CNN regularly.

scuttler

Is there not some sort of offence for being publicly vile about someone a court has just found you guilty of assaulting and defaming?

She might get another crack at him. Hope she does. West Clare Hotelier is vile scum.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/11/trump-cnn-town-hall-e-jean-carroll-lawsuit

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

The great thing is, as he keep defaming Carrol, there’s probably no need for a trial, as the facts have been established in court already !

legometeorology
    Free Member

I’m not feeling reassured by thst point….

good, that was not my intention

Northwind

I was slightly surprised by that cnn “town hall”, not because he’s such an absolute shit, but because he mostly managed to get to the end of sentences and remembered bits of the script- compare that with the deposition video where it reminds me of visiting my grandma once the dementia really set in.

maccruiskeen

That’s why, in a way, he’s not the most dangerous of politicians, as he doesn’t actually have an ideology.

There’s a parade marching through town and if he stands at the front he feels like the parade is for him. His ‘base’ are referred to as his followers but he’s not a ‘leader’. He found himself infront of a bunch or ‘disenfranchised’ voters becuase nobody smart enough to lead would want to go in a direction that they would follow. He’s perfect for them becuase he doesnt really have anything he wants to do – he has not political ambition. During his campaign for re-election he was asked what his plans were for a second term and he actually had no answer- he couldn’t bring to mind anything he wanted to achieve in the office of president because the answer wasn’t presented to him in the question.

Thats why he does that funny ‘good and bad on both sides’ thing – he doesnt have a position – asked a question he just repeats the premise of the question and. He makes a case for both sides of an argument and feels what the audience responds to and catches that wave.

Kaplan, who kept her cool and didn’t respond to Trump’s repeated personal attacks against her, asked him if he felt that stars could actually grab women “by the pussy.”

“Historically that’s true with stars. If you look over the last million years, that’s largely true, unfortunately—or fortunately,” he said.

‘Unfortunately- or fortunately’  – he honestly doesn’t know whether sex abuse is a good thing or not – he doesnt know if he’s proud or ashamed of his actions. It’s already 50-50, he’s presumably run out of friends to call so he has to ask the audience.

legometeorology
    Free Member

‘Unfortunately- or fortunately’ – he honestly doesn’t know whether sex abuse is a good thing or not – he doesnt know if he’s proud or ashamed of his actions. It’s already 50-50, he’s presumably run out of friends to call so he has to ask the audience

And the number of people I’ve read defending even these statements is just sickening (as well as the CNN crowd laughing as Trump joked about it the day after)

It’s totally wild

maccruiskeen

And the number of people I’ve read defending even these statements is just sickening

i think these people see it as a loyalty test. Any hesitation in endorsing each weird  or sicken pronouncement risks outing you.

Once you’re on the Trump train there’s not really a safe way of getting back off again. Democrats are just the enemy, republican’s who aren’t quite trumpy enough are traitors

sc-xc

I had an illuminating chat with my cousin at a recent funeral. He lives in Seattle and told me that his advice to his kids…don’t move away from the coast. Inland America is **** up, he thinks there is a very real possibility of Trump getting in again and it scares him.

oldnpastit

he thinks there is a very real possibility of Trump getting in again and it scares him.

Apparently the republican primary system is a winner-takes-all. Whoever wins in a given state gets all of the votes for that state.

So if the 30% MAGA faithful vote for Trump, and there is no clear alternative so the remaining vote is split, Trump gets everything for that state.

So it is very likely he will be the Republican candidate, even though he has shown he has no compunction about trying to organize a coup. Loathsome man.

dyna-ti

Its a sad reflection on the republican party that they would endorse this clown,purely because he has a large voter base and they’re willing to do anything to get back into power. It’s also a sad representation of republican party voters who are obviously large enough to enable a win, and a sad reflection of themselves in that it makes them out to be of very low intellect.
    No wonder during dictatorships they shoot intellectuals.

The direction of the world is not going well, and not just in the US.

thols2

Its a sad reflection on the republican party that they would endorse this clown,purely because he has a large voter base and they’re willing to do anything to get back into power.

That’s not quite what’s happening though. They know he’s an albatross around their necks and he doesn’t actually have a big enough base to win a nationwide majority. Problem for Republicans is that his base is a majority of Republicans (so more than 50% of 35% of all voters). In order to run for Congress as a Republican, candidates have to win a primary against other Republicans. That means they need to impress the 20% of voters who are Trump’s hard-core base. They know that it makes it impossible to win a nationwide majority because Trump is so repellent to moderate voters, but their personal calculus is that they are better off torpedoing the Republican chance of winning government in order to win their local primary.

thols2

I have a feeling that stuff like this might be what ultimately dooms him. He left office, but took classified documents with him so he could stroke his ego. He then lied about having them, and then forced his staff and lawyers to lie. He won’t be able to find any decent lawyers to represent him because he keeps getting them disbarred or investigated for obstruction.

mattyfez

^ I think I saw that guy being interviewed the other week, he really didnt come across like a high flying lawyer in the way he spoke, more like a used car salesman in a Primark suit.

dissonance

He won’t be able to find any decent lawyers to represent him because he keeps getting them disbarred or investigated for obstruction.

Add to that he will randomly mouth off against their advice and hasnt got a great reputation for paying bills its not overly surprisingly he finds it tricky to find a good lawyer.
    Whilst some might be willing to take the risk for a big enough paycheck without that its going to be a hard sell to any aside from true believers.

Houns

I bet good money that Trump has genuinely enquired about a lawyer he’s heard of called Saul Goodman

dyna-ti

Add to that he will randomly mouth off against their advice and hasnt got a great reputation for paying bills its not overly surprisingly he finds it tricky to find a good lawyer.

Maybe thats the next ploy. He didn’t get a fair trial because his lawyer was poor and didn’t represent him properly.

mattyfez

Maybe thats the next ploy. He didn’t get a fair trial because his lawyer was poor and didn’t represent him properly.

Dunno how it works in The US, but I’d think that’s basically though titties, should have hired a better lawyer or, for the lols, represented himself.

Lawyers just advise and speak on your behalf, with your consent (and money).

thepodge
    Free Member

I imagine there are enough Trump supporters that you could represent him once, not get paid, then pimp yourself out to any hard done by Republican in the area and make your cash back. He’s just a promotional tool.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I imagine there are enough Trump supporters that you could represent him once, not get paid, then pimp yourself out to any hard done by Republican in the area and make your cash back. He’s just a promotional tool.

I do think theres a few of the lawyers thinking they can get a good gig on Foxnews as a legal correspondant or, like you say, getting work from a rich Republican billionaire. However agrowing number are finding its a fine line between getting recognition and getting fined, sanctioned or disbarred.

Looks like the latest one to leave was working on the secret documents case and suspiciously left just after the town hall shizzle storm where Trump was asked if he showed secret docs to people and his reply was ‘Not really’. Tough to argue any logical defence when your boss has basically admitted to it.

scuttler

Looking more like that other rotten **** from Florida will chuck his hat into the ring. Perversely I’m looking forward to seeing how far each of them can go beyond the bottom of the barrel, and how the other culture war nuts will contort themselves aligning to the outcome.

thols2

Looks like the latest one to leave was working on the secret documents case and suspiciously left just after the town hall shizzle storm where Trump was asked if he showed secret docs to people and his reply was ‘Not really’. Tough to argue any logical defence when your boss has basically admitted to it.

martinhutch

Not even hiding it any more.

The latest list of sanctioned individuals released by the Russians includes a whole bunch of Trump’s enemies, for example special counsel Jack Smith (looking into the Mar-a-Lago documents case), Letitia James (looking into attempted election theft), and bizarrely, tv hosts Joe Scarborough, Rachel Maddow and Seth Meyers. Strange times…

Had to go and check the list to make sure it wasn’t parody.

piemonster

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-indictment-espionage-prosecution-charges-b2353397.html

The Department of Justice is preparing to ask a Washington, DC grand jury to indict former president Donald Trump for violating the Espionage Act and for obstruction of justice as soon as Thursday, adding further weight to the legal baggage facing Mr Trump as he campaigns for his party’s nomination in next year’s presidential election.

frankconway

Here’s hoping but..nothing about this in US news media.

DickBarton

Why would there be? He is running for President so all the bad stuff won’t be getting published – leave that to the opponents to tell the crowds…

frankconway

When I posted, there wasn’t; now, there is.

Viewing 40 posts - 21,161 through 21,200 (of 23,121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.