• This topic has 23,120 replies, 784 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by nickc.
Viewing 40 posts - 19,401 through 19,440 (of 23,121 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
  • FB-ATB

Re that Independent article with the protesters claiming Trump ordered them to the Capitol and didn’t pardon them. Would be a master stroke for Biden to pardon them. Puts more emphasis that it was Trump stirring them up and would make their headspin that the person they are demonising shows them clemency!

thols2

Would be a master stroke for Biden to pardon them.

I don’t see any benefit to doing that at all.

First, the Justice Department should decide on whether to prosecute or not based on the evidence. There is talk that they are considering not charging people who trespassed, but didn’t commit any major crimes. That’s a reasonable thing to consider (which doesn’t mean I think they should do that, but just that it’s worth thinking about.)

Second. Pardons aren’t supposed to be for political purposes.

Third. Those people would not suddenly turn around and start loving Biden. They would take it as evidence that they were justified so it would embolden them more.

Fourth. It would massively piss off Biden’s own supporters.

whitestone
    Free Member

Biden’s going to build a wall …

donald's wall

somafunk

Trump has split the Republican Party into “Trumpsters” and ‘”everyone else”, if you have 10 mins check out the Frank Lunz (republican advisor on focus groups) clip below to see just how deluded they are.

dantsw13

Cb200 – I think the vote you talk about is only after a guilty verdict, not if it fails.

Shackleton

Dantsw13 – I think that there is some debate on this point and could end up in supreme court.

I think that the dems should explicitly say that they will only try to bar trump from office if he is convicted. Force Republicans to choose between impeaching him fully and having trump in the next primary/running a new party. Anything else pretty much delivers what the gop actually want (or least worse option).

funkrodent

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/25/politics/dominion-lawsuit-giuliani/index.html

Looks like the chickens are coming home to roost for Rudi. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. That 20k per day from DT (assuming he ever gets paid) won’t even begin to cover it 🤔

kimbers

What a record!

Trump made 30,573 false or misleading claims as president. Nearly half came in his final year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-fact-checker-tracked-trump-claims/2021/01/23/ad04b69a-5c1d-11eb-a976-bad6431e03e2_story.html

reluctantjumper

That’s an average of over 20 A DAY!

franksinatra

Trump made 30,573 false or misleading claims as president. Nearly half came in his final year.

In his final year he made an average of 39 false claims per day.

That is nuts. I don’t think I say 39 things a day in total, he managed to publicly lie 39 times a day.

piemonster

Ha, just popped in to post the good news about Rudy

Klunk
    Free Member
    GrahamS

Trump has split the Republican Party into “Trumpsters” and ‘”everyone else”

One theory I heard, which makes a lot of sense, is that Trump is threatening to start a new “Patriot Party” fully aware that it would would destroy the GOP by splitting the vote.

That threat gives him leverage over the GOP Senators that might go against him in the impeachment.

(of course that may be over-estimating his cunning: he may just be such a narcissist that he has convinced himself a “Cult45 Party” would win).

fasthaggis

Those stats are another level of crazy.

The Fact Checker team recorded 492 suspect claims in Trump’s first 100 days. Just on Nov. 2, the day before the 2020 election, Trump made 503 false or misleading claims as he barnstormed across the country in a desperate effort to save his presidency.

His constant promotion and use of the term “Fake News” has to be the worst part of his putrid legacy.

“As a result of Trump’s constant lying through the presidential megaphone, more Americans are skeptical of genuine facts than ever before,” presidential historian Michael Beschloss said.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

We had just the same junk from Leave.EU with ‘project fear’… ‘fake news’ with a different name.

thepodge
    Free Member

One theory I heard, which makes a lot of sense, is that Trump is threatening to start a new “Patriot Party” fully aware that it would would destroy the GOP by splitting the vote.

People said that about Ukip / Brexit party / etc… Hasn’t done the Conservatives any harm.

frankconway

Also intended to post the good news about Dominion suing rudy; couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke…

In other news Michael Cohen is suggesting that trump may have secretly pardoned himself and his brats; can pardons be kept secret or must they be published?

GrahamS

People said that about Ukip / Brexit party / etc… Hasn’t done the Conservatives any harm.

Actually I’d say that’s a pretty good example of the threat working: the Tories were forced into a position of entertaining and ultimately supporting the UKIP/Brexit Party main policy for fear that the alternative was a split vote.

thepodge
    Free Member

Well yes, that’s what I mean, lots of people said they’s split the party but when it came down to it the main one just adopted the worst policies.

thols2

Trump is threatening to start a new “Patriot Party” fully aware that it would would destroy the GOP by splitting the vote.

Trump seems confused. He’s saying he will support primary challenges against sitting Republicans who don’t support him, but also saying he will launch a “Patriot Party”. Primary challenges have to come from within the Republican Party (it’s a fight to see who gets to be the Republican candidate).

Thing to keep in mind here is that Trump was generally an anchor for the Republican party. Congressional candidates did better overall than Trump did in the presidential race. If Trump left to start his own party, he would take the MAGA crown with him, but leave the moderates behind. If he stays in the Republican Party and supports lunatic primary challengers, that will also drive moderates away. Basically, any situation where Trump stays in politics is good for the Democrats and bad for the Republicans overall.

thols2

thols2

Thanks to this reporter spilling FBI secrets, the bad guys now know to avoid wearing a GPS monitor when they seditioning the government.

Another man was wearing a court-ordered GPS monitor after a burglary conviction that tracked his every movement inside the building.

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-capitol-siege-media-social-media-f9a4050fc3179c87e0c29b8872e020e9

franksinatra

That AP article linked by Thols2 contains some truly wonderful examples of stupidity, I could read stuff like that all day long!

A retired firefighter from Long Island, New York, texted a video of himself in the Capitol rotunda to his girlfriend’s brother, saying he was “at the tip of the spear,” officials said. The brother happened to be a federal agent with the State Department’s Diplomatic Security Service

“I’m not a magician,” said an attorney for the man seen in a photo carrying Pelosi’s lectern. “We’ve got a photograph of our client in what appears to be inside a federal building or inside the Capitol with government property,” he told reporters.

GrahamS

Trump seems confused.

Yeah I’m seeing reports that he has written to senators saying he is NOT planning to start a Patriot Party, is still very much Republican, and they better toe the line during the impeachment trial if they don’t want him turning against them in primaries.

Still seems very “Nice political party you got there, be a shame if something happened to it” 😕

Sandwich

I see the Capitol police are taking this line

Police at the Capitol planned only for a free-speech demonstration

No, we didn’t collude with the President!

martinhutch

Yeah I’m seeing reports that he has written to senators saying he is NOT planning to start a Patriot Party, is still very much Republican, and they better toe the line during the impeachment trial if they don’t want him turning against them in primaries.

It would be very unlike Trump to be untruthful, even to the party he was elected to represent, especially when it seems to serve nothing but his own interests :). He is not and never has been a Republican politician.

I’m sure a significant number of GOP senators will fall for it, though, they seem thick as mince. The Republicans have two choices: purge him now and watch him split the republican vote with his Trump party, or acquit and watch as he runs again in 2024, and primaries republican senators with his own family members.

saying he was “at the tip of the spear,”

He was certainly at the end of the bell.

thols2

I’m sure a significant number of GOP senators will fall for it, though, they seem thick as mince.

They’re not stupid, they’re simply dishonest. Some of them (Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley, Marco Rubio, etc.) think they can become the next MAGA champion and get his supporters behind them. Others just realize that crossing Trump will be the end of their careers so they are hoping to wait it all out, then they can pretend none of it happened.

I’m not a big fan of Romney, McCain, Liz Cheney, etc., but at least they have some scraps of honesty. Christ, G.W. Bush looks like a paragon of virtue in comparison with the current Republicans.

dissonance

Thanks to this reporter spilling FBI secrets

Some of the affidavits from the FBI are great. They all start off by giving the agents background and hence expertise in finding criminals before going “I looked at their twitter/instagram/whatever posts and then either took a video posted by them or by some of their fellow idiots to confirm it”.

The one with the tag was particularly good since he told his parole officer he had been inside the building and seems to have complained about being teargassed. He then realised that was a tad dumb and recanted the bit about being inside but sadly the parole officer told the FBI anyway and the tag disagreed with their claims.

Northwind

The tag must have been anklefa.

martinhutch

It was a false tag attack.

sadmadalan

Just in case you think that the nutters only live in the US – try this on a UK website!

Nutters Unite

Poopscoop

sadmadalan
    Just in case you think that the nutters only live in the US – try this on a UK website!

Nutters Unite

I just went down that rabbit hole thanks to your link.😕

James Delingpole really is a piece of work isn’t he?

MoreCashThanDash

Jesus Christ, where to start with that? The media and all the Trump appointed judiciary must have been in on it as well? He’s either playing it for laughs to make money or he – and anyone who falls for it – is certifiably insane.

kimbers

Delingpole really is an embarrassment

MSP

Follow the money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Movement_(populist_group)

MSP

Interesting take on the Trump “friends” pardons, and how they could still be charged.

crazy-legs

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/29/trump-russia-asset-claims-former-kgb-spy-new-book

Seems to pick up where the Mueller investigation left off. That established no crime links but didn’t look at the overall relationship.

reluctantjumper

Just read that article, unsure whether it’s fact or the Russians spreading a story to undermine everything as usual. Either way it’s a slap in the chops for Trump.

MSP

Yeah, and that is the reality. People seem to think that unless Trump directly reported to Moscow then he wasn’t an asset. But the reality is much more subtle than that, they nudged him in certain directions, using his narcissism. Their plan wasn’t to control the president but to cultivate and nudge influential people to disrupt. The Trump presidency was not a specific plan, but a dream come true for them.

Houns

Any updates on his impeachment?

Viewing 40 posts - 19,401 through 19,440 (of 23,121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.