• This topic has 23,120 replies, 784 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by nickc.
Viewing 40 posts - 14,001 through 14,040 (of 23,121 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

The time spent by people standing around to protest , for basically nothing. it’s not going to achieve or change anything.

I don’t buy that. I think it could change something. Ok, nothing massive at once, but I can imagine a few less exports, a fraction less USA goodwill towards Nato.

By all accounts Trump’s over-sensitive to say the least, if it was so hard to disrupt our relationship with the USA why have UK governments for the last 100 years spent so my effort trying to keep the USA onside?

Yeah, Trump’s not going to go home and say “The Europeans were mean to me, I’m pulling out of Nato” but there’s lots of smaller decisions that could go against the UK now. The government is on the verge of collapse and will be for at least a couple of years to come. If a bit of name calling against Trump shrinks a couple of key industries it could tip the balance.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Come on Mike, it’s a non argument. If I must I’ll google egotism or many websites of human psychology.

Very few successful leaders go for a burn it all down approach, not all leaders are like that because it doesn’t really work that well. One of the core principles of Trump is everything is a Zero Sum Game, in the modern world it really isn’t. Plenty of solid leaders have worked that out – well the ones I get to interact with have and they seem to be doing fairly well.

Chequers is in total lockdown – never seen so many police there before, can’t see any demonstrators getting remotely near the odious man

Perhaps after the Sun stunt it’s actually an operation to keep him out.

convert

The point of the protest is to ensure there is absolutely no possibility of doubt that any Trump spin about being popular in the UK looks fatuous and if even possible make him look even more stupid that he already does. To collectively disassociate ourselves from being broadly in agreement with the current American ideology as represented by the Trump figurehead to the rest of the globe.

No one would plan to or even want to change the mindset of this orange oaf. He is a lost cause. That is in no way the point.

pondo

I had every intention of going until it turned out he’s being kept well away from anyone with Wotsit Hitler placards, so I’m just going to bimble about at home, will try and pop into the Birmingham protest for a bit this afternoon. It’s not about protesting to achieve a specific aim, for me – I think the guy’s a comic book villain, and I’d like to be part of the national voice that’s saying that much of what he’s doing is wrong, and some of it is borderline evil.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’ve just listened to that Radio 4 clip and I can’t hear a single word to indicate that Trump gives a flying **** what anyone in the UK thinks,

Just to be clear we’re listening to the same guy:

-Did you hear the guy say Trump knew of the protests?

-Did you hear the guy say Trump was an Anglophile?

-Did you hear the guy say the protests would affect Trump because was over-sensitive to criticism and loves flattery?

I’m paraphrasing a bit but if you heard it you’ll recognise those three bits which were all part of the same answer IIRC & we’ll know we’re listening to the same segment. Sounds like we’re probably not. What was the guy’s name, I missed it.

We need a transcript.

franksinatra

hat I don’t understand is everybody jumping on this bandwagon to protest and fly a balloon. Think of this for a moment, the money used for that ballon, could it have been given to a charity?

The balloon is fabulous.  It is funny, high profile, representative of free speech and funny.  There is no doubt Trump will HATE it. It is a brilliant creative and British protest.  Well done.

binners

immaterial
    Free Member

Key thing to remember about the Dotard (c. Kim Jong-un, 2018) is that when he says something guaranteed to get people talking, you need to see what else he or the administration are up to- he’s really pretty good at distraction tactics.

ransos
    Free Member

Think of this for a moment, the money used for that ballon, could it have been given to a charity?

And there are baby robins starving in Africa.

outofbreath
    Free Member

The point of the protest is to ensure there is absolutely no possibility of doubt that any Trump spin about being popular in the UK looks fatuous and if even possible make him look even more stupid that he already does.

It’s not about protesting to achieve a specific aim,

I don’t buy this. Trump is well known to be deeply unpopular in Europe and just about everywhere else including America so there’s no need to protest to show that. The UK has been jumping through hoops for 100 years to keep America onside, (even joining wars) protesters trying to harm that must have a pretty good reason.

Few in their right mind would give up an afternoon to damage UK/US relationships without a better reason that either of those. Yes there will be some renta-mob people there but on average people aren’t idiots so there will be a logic behind the protests. Given Trump’s attitude to Nato tipping him over the edge on that has to be a candidate – or just damaging the economy a bit to finish of the current Government.

El-bent
    Free Member

Can we please try to keep it civilised?

Recently the right have been snowflaking over the fact that those to the left of them have been getting less civilised to them. Its way past time. Being civilised has allowed these monsters to rule the roost, Neville Chamberlain thought the man he was talking to across the table was civilised like him, but the man across the table like many before him and since, were never civilised in the first place.

Trump is just another example of it. Time to fight fire with fire.

I’m glad Trump is here as he is showing the Brexiters what the future outside the EU is going to be like. Free trade deal with the US will be no free trade deal at all.

Someone mentioned the special relationship, yes it is special if you put it in the terms of the abused and the abuser.

ninfan
    Free Member

Yeah, Trump’s not going to go home and say “The Europeans were mean to me, I’m pulling out of Nato”

Dont be so sure – not so long back a black man took the piss out of Trump at a whitehouse correspondents dinner. All the lefties cheered and laughed about it.

Two years Later Donald took his job and threw him and his family out of their house – the vindictive, racist, bastard.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Someone mentioned the special relationship, yes it is special if you put it in the terms of the abused and the abuser.

Yes we think we have a relationship and they think we are special…

The EU can negotiate on equal terms and Trump knows that, the UK can’t so will get the scraps

nickc

OOB, your post literally makes no sense. Do you want to have another go at it?

nickc

Two years Later Donald took his job and threw him and his family out of their house

Is this the fantasy that you tell yourself when you’re **** over the latest Stormfront?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Neville Chamberlain thought the man he was talking to across the table was civilised like him,

No he didn’t. He came back and described Hitler as “The commonest little pig you ever met” and utterly out manoeuvred Hitler at Munich. Chamberlain despised Hitler and Hitler despised Chamberlain because Chamberlain cheated him out of the immediate war he needed.

The only reason we were all taught otherwise at school is because Churchill wrote the history books and spun it his way.

ransos
    Free Member

Two years Later Donald took his job and threw him and his family out of their house

You appear to be unaware that US Presidents are term-limited.

pondo

Wait a minute – so Munich was a success? I’ll be blowed – every day’s a school day. 🙂 .

ransos
    Free Member

No he didn’t. He came back and described Hitler as “The commonest little pig you ever met” and utterly out manoeuvred Hitler at Munich.

Quite right – just look at the commitments he managed to negotiate. I think they were on a piece of paper.

outofbreath
    Free Member

OOB, your post literally makes no sense. Do you want to have another go at it?

Thanks, I’ve tried to make it clearer.

pondo

I reckon part of it as well is a two-fingered salute to the government that invited him here.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Wait a minute – so Munich was a success/ I’ll be blowed – every day’s a school day.

Yup. Blew my mind a bit too, sometimes the revisionist case is overwhelming:

https://www.historyextra.com/period/second-world-war/the-munich-conference/

nickc

cheers, that’s better!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I reckon part of it as well is a two-fingered salute to the government that invited him here.

Certainly out dear and glorious leader must be so glad she couldn’t work out how to get him to let go of her hand back then and just blurted out pop over next time you are passing and we can have dinner. Who could have seen that backfiring in such a spectacular way.

ninfan
    Free Member

Is this the fantasy that you tell yourself when you’re **** over the latest Stormfront?

Oh, yeah – ‘cause Trump supporters must all be racists, innit.

I do so love this theory that the only reason Trump won was because the racists backed him… you have to wonder what they were all doing at the previous two elections? Presumably sitting at home being not particularly bothered about The chance of Obama winning  😄

I think it’s disgusting, a US president offering an opinion on Brexit and saying we song get a trade deal if we stay in the EU, shouldn’t be allowed should it?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Quite right – just look at the commitments he managed to negotiate. I think they were on a piece of paper.

Yup, and have a think about the dual significance of making sure the world saw that bit of paper.

Chamberlain got Munich and the aftermath spot on, he was sharp as a knife.

El-bent
    Free Member

No he didn’t. He came back and described Hitler as “The commonest little pig you ever met”

The crucial words here being, “after he came back.”

binners

Interesting take on Five Live from one of the Republican Abroad Loons….

Trump is protested against everywhere he goes. Trump is putting America’s interests first, so if he’s in a foreign capital and there aren’t any protests then he’s not doing that effectively enough. The protests play out well to his base at home as it shows he’s putting America First?Making America Great Again

So there you have it… the protestors out with their banners today are helping shore up his support at home.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I do so love this theory that the only reason Trump won was because the racists backed him

Is that another one of your theories?

outofbreath
    Free Member

The crucial words here being, “after he came back.”

Well Chamberlain couldn’t describe Hitler before he went he hadn’t met him. He said that in his briefing to the cabinet immediately after the meeting.

Chamberlain 100pc got Munich right, it was a disaster for Hitler and Hitler acknowledged that.

sobriety
    Free Member

Dont be so sure – not so long back a black man took the piss out of Trump at a whitehouse correspondents dinner. All the lefties cheered and laughed about it.

Quoted for posterity.

Rather than ‘sitting US President’, you boiled it down to the colour of his skin.

Which says far more about you than any of the flannel I’ve seen you post.

You’re either trolling to get a rise out of people, or you’re a racist, or you’re both.

pondo

I think it’s disgusting, a US president offering an opinion on Brexit and saying we song get a trade deal if we stay in the EU, shouldn’t be allowed should it?

Sorry, you’re going to have to try that again – that’s almost Chewkesque. .

outofbreath
    Free Member

Sorry, you’re going to have to try that again – that’s almost Chewkesque. .

Nah, it’s pretty clear, think back to Obama…

ransos
    Free Member

Chamberlain 100pc got Munich right, it was a disaster for Hitler and Hitler acknowledged that.

By allowing him to annexe part of Czechoslovakia? At the conference designed to prevent a European war?

PrinceJohn

It’s pretty noisy down here. Just been into Starbucks. Had to pay for a drink. It’s not yet total anarchy.

View this post on Instagram

#London #dumptrump #protest

A post shared by Zach (@zach1977) on

binners

Starbucks still has windows? Pfft! Leftie rabble rousing isn’t what it used to be! I blame the vegans

raybanwomble
    Free Member

not so long back a black man took the piss out of Trump at a whitehouse

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

The problem I have with the baby blimp, is this; it’s far too small !)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

.. threw the Obamas out of the Whitehouse. ..

Pathetic, strutting little comment that says more about the commentators’ image of Trump as a “tough guy”.

Of course, nobody was “thrown out” of anything. Someone lost an election and moved into their own house from “grace and favour” accommodation.

Bully worship often leads to this sort of hysterical twiffle.

Viewing 40 posts - 14,001 through 14,040 (of 23,121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.