• This topic has 52 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by wors.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • do i want one of those google speakers?
  • DickBarton

I like the idea but don’t think it would work for me. I don’t ask things vocally, I’m happy to switch my pc on or look through a TV listing guide. I listen to music but it is all stored on my pc (in iTunes – not through choice but it was all that was around when I decided to rip my music and potentially buy more digitally).
    I have a firestorm with voice and it is disabled.
    If I was doing it, if go Google as I’ve an android device so it already knows more about me than I’d be comfortable knowing they know. However that means my music won’t play…and will need my pc on anyway.
    I’ve a weather app on my phone and that is my alarm clock.
    I think it is a good idea but can’t work out how I would actually use it and I do everything already, so it isn’t going to fill a gap.

andybrad

INTERESTING FOLKS,

im not bothered about listening in. video yes but it already knows more about me than me.

medlow
    Free Member

I think the screen versions open the features up. The small speaker versions are a pain in the rear, unless you really want to embrasse the google assistant and happy to shout at it for everything.

For me, the less phone reliance the better. I hate having to pick my phone up to change track, adjust volume, etc etc. I’m also not a huge fan of shouting ‘Hey Google’ so the screen works better for me.

Watching Youtube channels in the kitchen is good, then being able to scroll through for the next.
    The sound quality from the Next Max Home Hub version is good.

Being able to scroll through music/videos rather than keep shouting ‘hey Google… Next track’ is much better for most scenarios.

Photoframe sounds a gimmick, but it usually sparks a good conversation when it shows a random picture from 15 years ago.

Video calling is excellent.

You can cast from any device, sound or videos.

Timers, alarms and reminders are quick and easy, you get a visual prompt and a nice calendar display showing you whats coming up for your day.

If you have other Nest products, like a door bell, you can see who is at the door, waiting to push their religious beliefs.

For the paranoids, switch the switch on the back to turn off the camera and mic, and use it purely as a casting/automation/speaker device.
    If some sado wants to watch me zombie into the kitchen to make a cuppa, then crack on. I doubt they do though.

It’s a good wifi enabled speaker, with added benefits if you want to use them.

Many people can live without one. I probably could to be fair.

In order to use all the features like calendar, photos, own music etc etc. You need to be using Google already for those things.. We have been for years so it works well with minimul fuss.

scotroutes

However that means my music won’t play…and will need my pc on anyway.

Can you not upload from iTunes into Play Music?

CraigW
    Free Member

The Home Mini / Nest Mini does have a few buttons. ie to play/pause, and adjust volume. So don’t have to shout at it for everything.
    I’m not too bothered about changing tracks, part of the fun of Spotify is getting a random mix of music.

DickBarton

No idea…and if I can, will it also upload all my purchased music as well? How much space is in the Google music cloud for.me? I’ve a fair amount of.music but probably not as much as others but it does take up.space.

andybrad

about 20 gig of music i think.

scotroutes

How much space is in the Google music cloud for.me?

50,000 songs.

It’s quite clever. If it recognises the song and someone has already uploaded it, it’ll not actually upload it again from your library. (I’m sure it still counts to your 50,000 limit though)

phil5556

I’ve got a google home mini in a box unopened. If anyone wants to make me an offer for it send me a pm.

bikebouy
    Free Member

INTERESTING FOLKS,

im not bothered about listening in. we already know more about you than you

#wevalueyourprivacy

CountZero

A lot handier than finding where I left my phone and plugging it in etc.

Well, if you had a Bluetooth radio, and carried your phone around in your pocket, like most people do, then all you’ve got to do is select the track/album/playlist and set it going. That is what Bluetooth is for…

There are some seriously paranoid people on the internet – you do know that they are watching and recording everything you type?

Not necessarily…

andybrad

Ok picked one up last night. Its great for what I want it for and im happy ive got it. It does have some issues.

1. Not quite sorted out casting to sonos yet. It did work once last night. Play on sonos works but its then separate from the hub. Not sure what to do with that.
    2. I announced to the wife to get the kettle on this morning from the comfort of my bed. This didn’t go down well at all.
    3. This morning I was happily listening to the news for all of 30 seconds before the child (4 years old) got it to play Disney.

In short its good. Controlling the heating etc is easy and radio is fantastic. Speaker is ok (its like a loud phone) for background music which I guess is where its penned.

If anyone has one of those new gen2 nest minis ill take it off their hands.

wors

Is there nay difference between the google and amazon offerings? Apart from the shit commands?

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘do i want one of those google speakers?’ is closed to new replies.