• This topic has 52 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by wors.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • do i want one of those google speakers?
  • andybrad

Ive got somon for playing music and it doesnt get used a lot.

Im wondering if i get one of those nest speakers or maybe even one with a screen it might make me and the other half use it more by saying play something or other.

or is it just a gimmic. I feel like i fancy one but im not sure i see the point?

brakes
    Free Member

I have a similar debate going on in my head. I want one, but I don’t need one.
    I don’t have one because of the 1984/Big Brother risks/paranoia.

MoreCashThanDash

Just got one in deal when MrsMC got a Fitbit. Being able to walk into the kitchen and get a device to play exactly what you want, when you want is far more useful than I thought it would be. Not having to retune the old radio every time is great

ampthill

I can’t really believe that what stops using listening to music is the problem of selecting a song on your phone. Unless connecting the phone is a pain. I now use a 3.5mm for ease and reliability

Also i would not normally select a play list without having a quick browse first

Your mileage may vary

kelron
    Free Member

They’re annoying, get set off by ads and youtube videos and might be secretly recording you. Got one free with my broadband and it’s been sitting unplugged the last few months.

Maybe more useful in a multi room setup with other “smart” devices but that brings a whole other set of issues.

spooky_b329

I’ve got a Google Home smart speaker. Novelty quickly wore off so I just used it as a speaker…however I treated myself to a Bose Soundlink Bluetooth speaker which totally blows it out the water for volume, bass, sound quality, and doesn’t need to be plugged in like the Google Home. You can still request songs via the Google Assistant on your phone rather than the speaker. So I’d recommend a good Bluetooth speaker you can use in the garage/when in the bath after a muddy ride 🙂

scotroutes

I’m thinking of getting one for the kitchen where the “hands free” interface will be useful. Handy to catch up on stuff while cooking etc and for using it as a timer. TBH I’m rarely in our lounge where the telly and hi-fi are.

CraigW
    Free Member

I like my Google Home Mini. Mostly just used for radio, including stuff not on FM (6 Music, Kerrang). Plus Spotify, and my own music library on Google Play.
    Also useful for asking the weather, or other random questions, and setting timers etc.

A lot handier than finding where I left my phone and plugging it in etc. The speaker is just there and ready to use. Voice control is handy while cooking etc.

johndoh
    Free Member

nd might be secretly recording you

I really don’t have a problem with it if they are (which I am sure they are doing anyway). What is the big deal with a speaker listening to you moan about the kids’ spoilt friends or complaining to your wife about the tosser I had to sit next to on the train?

ads678

Had one for a while now and gets used daily for radio & spotify. Also kids get to ask it some really random question to what she comes up with. Its great get one.

Actually I have 2 as we have one in our bedroom as an alarm  as well. Not bothered about it listening in as 11 & 9yr old kids means nothing else happens in there……….

fooman

might be secretly recording you

If they do, perhaps they will be able to play back what I said, not what my wife thinks I said. Bonus.

martinhutch

I got one when they were giving them away with Spotify subs. It’s alright for free, you can ask it to put the radio on, or set an alarm, but I can’t say it’s revolutionised my life.

IHN

Being able to walk into the kitchen and get a device to play exactly what you want, when you want is far more useful than I thought it would be.

Because this was never possible before.

petec
    Free Member

i have a

Mini – in the kitchen. Good for the radio, setting timers/reminders for cooking etc
    Max – in the snug for listening to music properly
    Hub – in the bedroom. Listening to music/radio, using it as an alarm clock, watching telly at a push (7″ screen of course). And the morning routine, where it’ll tell you the weather, the time to work, any meetings/reminders that day etc

Probably going to invest in a Nest thermostat this winter, so would be able to control the heating with it.

That’s about it. If i wasn’t in t’music so much they’d not really get used. Never bought one at full price, and only when other things (sonos/alarm clock) have broken

DezB
    Free Member

My kid persuaded me to buy one, I’m all for a decent gadget, if they’re useful. It sat there, using electricity, cos it has to be plugged in all the time, only ever getting used when he came round (lives with his mum most of the time). So I gave it to him to take to his mum’s and use there. I don’t miss it.
    An in-car version might be worthwhile I suppose, but I’m really not averse to getting off my arse and pressing a button at home. Or just picking up my phone and getting the info off the screen.

andybrad

hmmm mixed reviews then.

is the max better integrated to google play than sonos would be?

pocpoc
    Free Member

We’ve had a Google Home Mini for over a year now. Sits in the kitchen/diner and gets used daily.
    I mostly use it for listing to the radio or Spotify. When playing a generic playlist it can get a bit repetitive saying “OK Google… next track” over and over again until a song comes up I like. I wouldn’t do that if there were other people in the room though.
    9yo likes to come down on a morning and ask what the weather forecast is so he can prepare his argument to not wear a coat.
    8yo likes to come in to the room when we are already listening to something or watching TV and shout “OK Google… play Disney songs” followed by one of us going “OK Google… stop” and giving her a bollocking for interruping.
    5yo tries and sometimes succeeds in playing some music but normally gets her words mixed up or hesitates and Google jumps in with something completely useless.
    My wife is the only one that really uses it for asking questions. I gave up on that becuase the answers were normally complete nonsense.

DrP

I’m ‘in’ on teh Amazon system…echos etc..
    I love it!

An echo in each room (bedroom, kids room, kitchen) and an echo mini connected to my decent speakers/sub in the lounge.
    I love being able to ‘ask’ for songs..radio stations..turn on/off lights/TV/Xbox etc.. set alarms that cause the light to flash when it goes off..
    yeah, I’m sold!

DrP

molgrips
    Free Member

We have Echoes in our house – same thing but Amazon.

It gets used all the time to play music we like, with no ads, few hours a day. Much better than a radio, and easier than manually choosing your own music. But you can do that as well if you want.

We also have some smart sockets that control lights in the living room whose plugs are hard to access – it’d be a faff to go round and turn them all off, so we just say ‘goodnight’ and job done. Pretty minor, but there you go.

chakaping
    Free Member

We have an Alexa or whatever it’s called in the office. Drives me up the wall TBH, don’t like music while trying to write things for a living – but the yoot seem to like it.

I’d probably benefit from one to carry round when working in garage or kitchen, but tend to just listen to podcasts on my phone speaker instead.

tthew

I got bought an Echo as a present, lived in bedroom and got used as a radio but nothing else. My missis set it to tell jokes and give the weather forecast after a while, which greatly annoyed me as I couldn’t find a way to stop it.

It fell down the back of the radiator 18 months ago, and resides there to this day. I bought myself a proper radio. Place me in the ‘not a fan’ camp.

medlow
    Free Member

I love my Hub Nest Home Max thing.. I upgraded from the cone shaped one.
    It’s in the kitchen and plays all my music I ask.
    The added benefit of a screen is that you can swipe left and right on songs, rather than asking google to do it… It will also display the playlist for you to skip though. Much better than speaking to it.
    If it finds a suitible YouTube Music video for the same song, it will play that.. Which is entertaining some times 😉
    Playing GCN/GMBN and the like while cooking is great.
    Sound quality is impressive.
    When not playing youtube, it cycles through my google photo library which is interesting and sparks many conversations about that historical event.
    The kids (4 and 7) enjoy asking it to play animal noises.
    It shows me what my commute is and what the weather is (pretty pointless as they change by the time ive left the house)
    I can ask it anything ‘what time does the post office close’ etc.
    Video calling direct to the kitchen screen is great when I’m away.
    Built in Nest security camera works a treat and sends me alerts when I’m not home.
    I’m not bothered about people listening to me, if they really want to listen in to my life events, then crack on, I’ll enjoy wasting their time.

Ive used the Elexa equivilent…. I personally think the Google solution is way more polished, much better.

I honestly feel that if you are going to do it, then get the big screen one, not the small speaker. I use it much more as the added interactive features make it much easier and less ‘OK Google… Next track’ is better in my view.. Pressing buttons is just better.

molgrips
    Free Member

I bought myself a proper radio.

Thing is, an Echo Dot is cheaper than a traditional radio (on Black Friday at least), plays all the normal radio stations but also your own CDs, and your choice of playlist/genre from online services. Also international radio stations. Even as a pure music player it’s very good value for money.

Pressing buttons is just better.

Not necessarily. Ours is on the kitchen windowsill, if you want to change track whilst washing up for example you would need to dry your hands or drip on stuff and get the radio wet. If you’re sat down you have to get up and cross the room. If your radio is just on radio you have to listen to shite adverts and music you might not like. We have experience with normal radios, this is an improvement IMO.

andybrad
    mogrim

I’ve got a mini in the kitchen, I use it a fair amount for music and setting cooking timers. I could live without it, but it’s nice to have and makes life marginally easier. It’s also hooked up to the new Roomba, another unncessary purchase that makes life marginally easier.

the-muffin-man

I got one free earlier this year (given to Spotify Family customers) – I tried it for about a week or. It now lives in my daughters bedroom and all she does is ask it stupid questions.

Another in the ‘not impressed’ camp.

DezB
    Free Member

Thing is, an Echo Dot is cheaper than a traditional radio (on Black Friday at least), plays all the normal radio stations but also your own CDs, and your choice of playlist/genre from online services

Google Home either can’t be connected to your own music, or it was so much of a pain in the arse to do, that I couldn’t be bothered. Same with my Samsung TV – went through all the app connection, it worked once, then didn’t recognise my TV. Too much faff when I’ve already got stuff to do the job without some robot lady telling me she doesn’t know what I’m on about 🙂

gingerbllr
    Free Member

I got one of the free ones with Spotify family.

It’s pure garbage – unplugged it a day later and never used it again. If we’re being honest with ourselves, it doesn’t really do anything useful, and it sounds terrible. Plus, it’s listening to everything you say.

If anyone wants it (minus the power cord – standard micro usb) for cost of postage let me know.

midlifecrashes

A big nope from me, google has too many creepy ideas. So Google bought Nest, what for? This may give you some clues:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160259308A1/en

I for one welcome our new automation opportunities, and can’t wait to see the following excerpts fully realised within my home:

[0164] In conjunction with (or independently with) the allotment and usage awareness, the processing may include a determination of whether or not activities (e.g., watching television) are being performed alone or as a group (decision block 710). For example, if multiple occupants are detected, the activity may be attributed to an activity that is performed with other household members (block 712). When there is a single occupant, the activity may be ascribed to an activity that is performed alone (block 714). In either case, the ascribed findings may be reported and/or recorded (e.g., to the household policy manager 154) (block 716). [0165] It may be beneficial to become aware of additional information when non-parental supervision is present. Accordingly, awareness may heightened when non-parental supervision is present. FIG. 25 illustrates another living room awareness process 730 providing such heightened awareness. [0166] Similar to process 700, the system may determine who is in the living room zone 612 (block 732). Further, the system may discern whether the television 672 is on (decision block 734). [0167] The process 730 may include a determination (block 736) of whether children are being supervised by parents or non-parents (e.g., a babysitter or grandparents). If the children are being supervised by parents, monitoring continues until non-parental supervision occurs. [0168] When non-parental supervision is present, alternative awareness may occur. For example, in the illustrated embodiment, heightened awareness of television usage is inferred (block 768). For example, the heightened television 672 awareness may include awareness regarding: content being watched, an amount of time of television 672 usage during the non-parental supervision, who is participating in the television 672 usage, etc. This awareness may be reported and/or recorded to the system (e.g., for subsequent reporting and/or control by the system) (block 740).

and

Inferred Activities [0188] In some situations, observed characteristics, behaviors, and/or activities may be used to infer other characteristics, behaviors, and/or activities. For example, some monitored activities may not be directly observable, but may be monitored indirectly via inferences made by the household policy manager. [0189] For example, in one embodiment, mischief may be inferred based upon observable activities of individuals in a household. FIG. 36 is a flow diagram illustrating a process 930 for detecting child mischief, in accordance with an embodiment. Specifically, the process 930 begins by detecting child occupancy or occupancy of other classes of occupants to be monitored (block 932). In some embodiments, these classes of occupants may be determined based upon audio monitoring, optical (e.g., video) monitoring, or other monitoring (e.g., infrared occupancy monitoring). For example, characteristics of audio signatures, such as speech patterns, pitch, etc. may be used to discern child occupancy. Next, the occupants may be monitored, specifically listening for low-level audio signatures (e.g., whispering or silence), while the occupants are active (e.g., moving or performing other actions) (block 934). Based upon the detection of these low-level audio signatures combined with active monitored occupants, the system may infer that mischief (e.g., activities that should not be occurring) is occurring (block 936). [0190] In some embodiments, some particular activities or other context may be used to infer that mischief is occurring, or to exclude an inference that mischief is occurring. For example, it may be expected that certain activities be performed in quiet, thus indicating that the quiet activity is unlikely to be mischief. For example, reading a book, mediating, etc. are oftentimes performed in quiet. Additionally, contextual information such as occupancy location may be used to exclude an inference of mischief. For example, if the occupancy occurs in a library, study, or other area where quiet activity may be expected, inference of mischief may be excluded. Accordingly, when these activities are performed, the system may infer that mischief is not occurring, despite low-level audio signatures in parallel with active occupants. [0191] Additionally or alternatively, in some embodiments, particular activities or other contextual information may be used to provide a stronger inference of mischief. For example, when children are near a liquor cabinet or are in their parents’ bedroom alone, the system may infer that mischief is likely to be occurring. [0192] Upon inferring that mischief is occurring, the system may report and/or record the findings for subsequent use (block 938). For example, the findings may be used in household reporting, near real time notification, or may be used to control smart devices within the home (e.g., provide a verbal warning regarding the inferred mischief via a speaker of a smart device (e.g., a smoke detector). Accordingly, the finding may lead to deterrence of further mischief within the home. [0193] It may be beneficial to monitor the emotional state of occupants within a household. FIG. 37 is a flow diagram illustrating a process 960 for inferring an emotional state of occupants, in accordance with an embodiment. Certain contextual queues of individual occupants may be used to infer the emotional state of household occupants. For example, crying may signify a sad emotional state, whereas laughing may signify a happy emotional state. [0194] Further, some general cultural norms, which can often be keyed to household location, may be used in universally inferring an emotional state of household occupants. For example, a head nod up and down in a household located in a first country of the world may signify an agreeable state, whereas a head nod side to side may signify the same agreeable state in a household located in a second country of the world. [0195] As mentioned above, emotional state may be more accurately inferred by understanding a context of the occupant. Accordingly, the process 960 may optionally begin by discerning an identity or class (e.g., sex, age, nationality, etc.) of the occupant (block 962). [0196] The process 960 also includes detecting emotional context data (block 964). For example, optical indicators of facial expressions, head movement, or other activities of occupants may be used to infer an emotional state. Additionally, audio queues, such as audio signatures of crying, laughing, elevated voices, etc. may be used to infer emotions. Further, infrared information, such as body temperature, etc. may be used in an emotional state inference.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Far too many words there, but is it really a surprise that Google sell us stuff cheap, offers us things like Maps and all the data on there for free and then sells the data they get from us using it to make a profit?
    If you are not doing anything illegal then I think it is naive to think that we have much privacy left any more. And, to be honest it doesn’t really bother me as I’m not up to no good.

martymac

I wouldn’t have one, I’d rather have a normal Bluetooth speaker and use the assistant that’s built into my phone.

tthew

Thing is, an Echo Dot is cheaper than a traditional radio (on Black Friday at least), plays all the normal radio stations but also your own CDs, and your choice of playlist/genre from online services. Also international radio stations. Even as a pure music player it’s very good value for money

Oh gosh, then I appear to be entirely wrong in hating the bastard thing and must reinstate it forthwith!

If anyone has missed out on gingerbllr’s kind offer, I’ll also fish mine out of the back of the radiator and whang it in the post.

kcr
    Free Member

I have a Home in the kitchen, mostly used as an internet radio, which it does really well with the voice control. My wife also likes to use it to set timers. If you’re not fussed about voice control there are lots of other devices that can do the job.
    We also use it to keep rhe shopping list. I could never get people to write stuff down in one place, but with voice control we can just shout stuff out if we spot something is running low. Using IFTTT, it logs shopping to a Google spreadsheet.

midlifecrashes

Sorry about the huge wall of text, it’s actually a cut and paste from a post I made in a discussion on privacy elsewhere. The patent is well worth a read though, with several proposals for new designs of tinfoil hats.

CraigW
    Free Member

Google Home either can’t be connected to your own music, or it was so much of a pain in the arse to do, that I couldn’t be bothered.

You can upload your own MP3s to Google Play Music. Then can play your music through the speaker.

Gunz
    Free Member

Tried an Echo and quickly got annoyed with having to walk around the house shouting like a moron to achieve something that a couple of taps on my tablet could do. Also, as a Spotify user, I like to have a bit of a rummage in the recommendations and track radio stations to find new music which circumvented any advantage of hollering at the Echo.

However you can download a ‘do a fart Echo’ app which almost made me keep it.

andy5390

I’m firmly in the “No” camp, after my experience with the Google assistant thing on my phone.

Me and the missus were lying in bed one night discussing our upcoming holiday, She mentioned having to do her bikini line before going. I replied, saying “You don’t want to let me anywhere near that, or you’ll end up with a fanny like a 10 year old”

My phone, on the bedside drawers, lit up. Google was asking if I needed help with anything.

I’m awaiting a knock on the door by the local sex offender squad 😳

submarined
    Free Member

Had a Home for about 2 years, love it. Coming in the kitchen, ask it to play the radio, my son gets bored of playing with Lego so I ask it to turn it down a bit and he comes into the dining room and does a bit of drawing, gets bored while I’m cooking so asks if he can watch something, I’ve got hands covered in food prep, so ask it to watch Octonauts on the lounge telly. Turns the telly on and starts up Netflix through the Chromecast.
    Get it to set a timer for the oven while I’m washing my hands, and at the same time ask it what the cooked temperature for whatever bit of meat I’m cooking is.

Got a Google Mini in the garage, get it to change the music or change volume while I’m under the car or covered in grease, then ask it to broadcast a message back to the house to say I’ll be in in 20 mins.

Etc etc. It’s ace.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I got a free mini with my phone. As said already Great for radio / background and quickly selecting a radio station in the kitchen etc. Eventually took it to work for my staff to use in the shop (yep wasn’t being used at home after initial novelty) and the acoustics in a large space are rubbish. So surprise surprise mini not great for actual proper music listening.

MoreCashThanDash

There are some seriously paranoid people on the internet – you do know that they are watching and recording everything you type?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘do i want one of those google speakers?’ is closed to new replies.