Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 166 total)
  • Do all sportives get this kind of hammering by the locals?
  • MrsPoddy
    Free Member

I think everyone who rides should go here for lunch.

ampthill

Dr Tony Hockley, of the New Forest Equestrian Association (NFEA), said there was “immense risk” to horses and riders, especially when cyclists came up fast and silently from behind

It such a great quote. It is of course strictly speaking true. Although there is no implication that riders ever have approached silently from behind or caused a problem.

Its hard to say an event you’ve never seen is a problem. But even if it does clog things up a bit does that matter once a year. its not like the que for lego land which must blight some peoples lives every day for months

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Not sure about this really..

On one side – events like the cheshire cat, 3600 riders on open roads. Lots of congestion with a large profit going to the organiser.

On the other side – you could ban any mass partipation event that people travel to. Music festivals, football matches all cause congestion as most people drive to them.

So I’ve answered my own question. It’s NIMBYs moaning and the events should be allowed to go ahead.

Thanks

wwaswas

no response from that website I contacted yesterday.

crazy-legs

no response from that website I contacted yesterday.

I’ve just had this email:

Please be aware of the following:
    1. there are roads works with traffic lights on Lyndhurst Road Landford any cyclist going through a red light will be film and reported.
    2. Lyndhurst Road Landford is a 30 and 40 mph limited area. Any cyclist caught above the speed limit on our speed camera will also be photograph and reported.

Came from one of the more prolific NIMBYs. If only they spent as much time and effort curbing the number of speeding cars there might not be so many of their treasured ponies killed every year…

Suggested replies welcome. 😉

mt
    Free Member

Lyndhurst Rd 30 and 40 mph, is it flat? Is Wiggins entered?

crazy-legs

Dear NIMBY ****,

If you see a cyclist going over 40mph, please report them to Sir David Brailsford, c/o Team Sky
    There’s probably a job for them.

😉

mduncombe
    Free Member

Perhaps if you had proper control of an animal that gets spooked and throws it’s rider into a hedge because it caught a glimse of a plastic bag it didn’t like the look of!

MOT’s for all road users…

Cant see a horse ever passing an MOT! Imagine if a car manufacturer produced a car where the steering was via a couple of leather straps, was a bit vague with lots of play and a tendancy to have a mind of its own.

wwaswas

probably best to hide your number if you’re planning on speeding or rljing then…

scaredypants

2. Lyndhurst Road Landford is a 30 and 40 mph limited area. Any cyclist caught above the speed limit on our speed camera will also be photograph and reported.

might pop along and insist they photograph any speeding cars too 😆

– crazylegs, do you live near the NF ?

crazy-legs

– crazylegs, do you live near the NF ?

Sadly not but I’m aware of the “issues” going on down there.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

My slightly sarcastic responses would be something along the lines of…

1. there are roads works with traffic lights on Lyndhurst Road Landford any cyclist going through a red light will be film and reported.

I completely agree that all vehicles should stop at red lights, I assume you’ll be applying this monitoring and reporting effort even handedly and will also be reporting anyone jumping the lights in a motorised vehicle.

Given that the typical Tour de France stage is ridden by professionals at the peak of physical fitness at less than 30mph and that Lyndhurst road does not appear to run downhill at any significant incline I think it unlikely that many casual cycle enthusiasts will be troubling your speed cameras.

scaredypants

crazylegs, can I have a copy of your email ? – I might turn up to their speed-camera party if it’s in Landford.

perhaps I could take along a video camera of my own

ciderinsport
    Free Member

It makes me giggle!

I’m off down there on Sunday to promote the big bike bash, a whole weekend of cycling in the new forest with no roads in sight!

Its also rather cheap… £50 for an adult, £100 for a family for a whole weekend of fun and camping too!

(Sorry for the shameless plug!)

crazy-legs

Scardy… Will send it over later. Out at the moment, can’t access that email from the phone.

unklehomered
    Free Member

They’ve BOUGHT a speed camera? Just when did nimbyism become an actual hobby? I wish this was near I would have endless fun with an encouraging banner standing in front of the miserable **** twunts. Also asking them every time a cyclist went past how fast they were going.

“How fast was that one?”
    “21”
    “What about that one?”
    “24”
    “That one?”
    “19”
    “Woah he was going fast what was he doing, 35, 40 45?”
    “25”
    “Why are you here again?”

Pretty sure you own personal camera wouldn’t count for anything without it having been properly calibrated etc given previous “get me off my speeding ticket” threads.

scaredypants

Pretty sure you own personal camera wouldn’t count for anything without it having been properly calibrated etc given previous “get me off my speeding ticket” threads.

oh, absolutely not, but they’ll likely present the local “newspaper” with some pics and lists of speeds regardless

asterix
    Free Member

maybe we could run a side event to see who could get the fastest recorded speed 😆

Drac

Newcastleton Sportiv is supported by the locals. Then again the roads it uses I seen a handful of cars driving the route to check signs about 30 minutes in front of the riders.

Edric64
    Free Member

You cant get done for speeding on a bicycle as there is no legal requirement to have a speedo,I think you can get done for riding furiously though !

mrblobby
    Free Member

NIMBYism certainly seems to get more rampant the further south you go.

wwaswas

I’m in Hove and I don’t want any of that NIMBYism round here.

singletrackmind

Its similar to Hurtwood in some ways. New money from London moves out to the countryside after a few years of big city bonuses enabling expensive property purchace. Immediatly start throwing weight around about activities the ‘their’ backyard as if they have worked the land for hundreds of years and inherited it from their great great grandfather.

Shame really as its a nice bit of the country but the Verderererers get alot of say . ‘Its a working Forest’. right , lets remove tourism and EU / UK Gov grants and see how well your Forest works then shall we.

I have some knowledge of the set up of the Wiggle Sportives and they are not simply turn up , cable tie 3 dozen signs round some lamposts , relieve Joe Public of £18 and make a few cups of Tea.
    Many weeks of work goes into route planning. Working with local council and the Police to ensure safety of everyone involved and the public.
    Risk assesments are carried out , due dilligence and all that malarky.

Shame, as has been mentioned , the reluctance of a few local people to let somebody else enjoy themselves within 20 miles of their house puts a downer on the event.

unklehomered
    Free Member

maybe we could run a side event to see who could get the fastest recorded speed

Just confused myself trying to work out if it would be irony if even people who were trying could not exceed the legal speed limit for the nimbys and their electronic cockwangle speedgun.

flannol
    Free Member

A sportive is not a race, at all

A race is a race

A sportive is just a big organised mass ride, where you happen to be timed

****’ hell, when did cyclists become such arseholes? It is not our god-given right to use the roads as we wish. Look at this: “Perhaps if you had proper control of an animal that gets spooked and throws it’s rider into a hedge because it caught a glimse of a plastic bag it didn’t like the look of!”. I for one do not want to be associated with such an idiotic ignorant stance. I’ve done all those damn Stortives, here and abroad, and I’ll say it in BOLD, it’s a **** race, if it aint why have timing chips? Or why not just get on your damn bike and do it on your own? And to be honest, what is the point riding around the New Forest – at least do something with some proper damn hills. Cycling really is the new golf.

flannol
    Free Member

****’ hell, when did cyclists become such arseholes? It is not our god-given right to use the roads as we wish. Look at this: “Perhaps if you had proper control of an animal that gets spooked and throws it’s rider into a hedge because it caught a glimse of a plastic bag it didn’t like the look of!”. I for one do not want to be associated with such an idiotic ignorant stance. I’ve done all those damn Stortives, here and abroad, and I’ll say it in BOLD, it’s a **** race, if it aint why have timing chips? Or why not just get on your damn bike and do it on your own? And to be honest, what is the point riding around the New Forest – at least do something with some proper damn hills. Cycling really is the new golf.

How can you say it is a race when it doesn’t even require you to have a racing license, let alone sign on with it, and gain points.

faz083
    Free Member

No fear, Norman is actually a very good mp (he is mine…) and will laugh with scorn at these ludicrous propositions!!! Ok not publically but he is not an idiot.

singletrackmind

and I’ll say it in BOLD, it’s a **** race, if it aint why have timing chips? Or why not just get on your damn bike and do it on your own?

Hey chap, nice trolling . looser .
    Btw , Thats not BOLD. They are capital letters .

knobber

MrAgreeable

For everyone saying that the objections are because the event is too big, bear in mind that this sort of response by locals to bike events is not restricted to sportives.

At last year’s Bath Cycle Races series, some of the NIMBY locals chose to express their displeasure at having a short loop of park perimeter road closed for a couple of hours by parking their vehicles on the course, in places where they would endanger the competitors.

I’ve organised relatively small cycle events for families where car drivers have acted aggressively towards participants.

It’s another symptom of “cyclists” as a group in society being ranked somewhere between new age travellers and locusts.

asterix
    Free Member

“SevenPillarsofIgnorance” – either you don’t know what you are talking about or you are a very poor troll -= maybe both

crazy-legs

SevenPillarsofIgnorance – appropriate name cos you’re either thick as shit or trolling. Or both.

This kind of NIMBYism isn’t restricted to the New Forest although down there it’s exacerbated by the ancient feudal rights and class system of “verderers” and “commoners”.

Get the same at the Etape Calendonia but it’s noticeable that it tends to be confined to the newer events.

The Fred Whitton doesn’t get any of this angst at all yet that’s 1500 cyclists on narrow country lanes and the locals actually welcome it. One day of disruption (although realistically not much worse than any other large event or sunny Bank Holiday in a tourist hotspot) and it’s offset by the amount of money that the area gets in revenue as people stay over, eat in local restaurants, even something as simple as filling up the car at a local services.

The NIMBYism is always lead by one loudmouth self-appointed local “name” – often just a retired busybody with nothing better to do although such people, by their very nature tend to have worked their way up to a position of “influence” on the local parish council or they are the deputy editor of the village newsletter or something.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It is not our god-given right to use the roads as we wish.

It is if you are a cyclist and stay within the law. As subjects of her majesty cyclists have the inalienable right to cycle on the queens highway, motorists are merely licenced and this privalidge can be revoked at any time.

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s beyond me what the appeal of doing a ‘sportive’ is (is it for people scared to ride on their own?).

But we’re all citizens of our country and all have equal access to our country’s roads. I don’t see motorists have any right to whinge about congestion caused by cyclists when almost all congestion is actually caused by cars.

Everyone has the same rights, and responsibilities.

lilchris
    Free Member

mduncombe
    MOT’s for all road users…

Cant see a horse ever passing an MOT! Imagine if a car manufacturer produced a car where the steering was via a couple of leather straps, was a bit vague with lots of play and a tendancy to have a mind of its own.I’ve taxed worse.

jameso
    wwaswas

It’s just absolutely bizaare that someone who’s business is promotign visitors to the New Forest chooses to be so anti everything anyone does once they actually get there.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s beyond me what the appeal of doing a ‘sportive’ is (is it for people scared to ride on their own?).

But we’re all citizens of our country and all have equal access to our country’s roads. I don’t see motorists have any right to whinge about congestion caused by cyclists when almost all congestion is actually caused by cars.

Everyone has the same rights, and responsibilities.
    Presumably you’d be happy if somebody organised a car race with 2000 entrants using public roads?

crazy-legs

Presumably you’d be happy if somebody organised a car race with 2000 entrants using public roads?

That analogy falls down on several levels but if correct road closures were in place (as happens in Grizedale Forest and some of the Welsh forests/mountain roads) then yes, I would be happy to see a car race for one weekend a year.

Equally, I’m quite happy that the London Marathon has 20,000 participants on public roads. And that public roads around me are chock-a-block Monday to Friday with mindless car-driving commuters…

jameso

Sounds like rush-hour in any area every weekday.. it’s a free country )

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘Do all sportives get this kind of hammering by the locals?’ is closed to new replies.