• This topic has 88 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by mehr.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Diversity (the act) on BGT
  • Blackflag
    Free Member

doris5000 – If your post was satire, then i apologise. I read it too literally.

ross980
    Free Member

Apparently 25k people have complained. Twenty. Five. Thousand. 🤦🏻‍♂️
    I just watched it; I’m unsure what there is to complain about tbh. It’s not like the depictions in the routine were gratuitous or anything. The few posts I’ve seen about being anti-BLM on my FB feed were posted by known bigots/gammon/DM readers, but I wouldn’t want to slip into confirmation bias…
    Anyway, I digress. What I meant to say was I’m amazed people can even be arsed complaining to Ofcom in the first place. There’s a ton of crap to watch on TV, it’s not like there’s only 5 channels any more 🤷🏻‍♂️

timmys

How has this thread got this far without this being posted?

OP – are you a big fan of eggs by any chance?

joepud
    Free Member

wow, some of the comments… just lost for words. And people say cycling doesn’t an issue with racism and diversity but clearly that isn’t the case. If you take issue with blm or some people dancing simply to matter have a word with yourself.

DezB
    Free Member

Apparently 25k people have complained

You mean there are people who watch Britain’s Got Talent who are racist and stupid enough to complain about this dance routine… I’m amazed.

lunge

You mean there are people who watch Britain’s Got Talent who are racist and stupid enough to complain about this dance routine… I’m amazed.

Absolutely not, a huge chunk of those won’t have seen it and will have just complained as they’d heard about it.

DickBarton

There’s a ton of crap to watch on TV, it’s not like there’s only 5 channels any more

Showing your age there…I remember when there were only 3 (and I’m sure people will be thinking I’m a youngster with that statement!!!)

joepud
    Free Member

As this is on page 2 now i thought it was important to highlight two awful comments made my members of this forum. Yes I am calling them out again and in not really bothered.

TheArtistsFormerlyKnownAsATS
    Some might say there is no issue with raising awareness of racial injustice, but I’m sure the whole world is aware of the George Floyd matter now I don’t see the need for it politicising on prime time Saturday night family TV.

Robj20

The whole black lives matter is rubbish.
    Surely of you want to get rid of racial anything it should just be lives matter.

There will always be a racial divide if they keep doing things like this.
    I don’t see a black person or a white person, it’s just a person.

I just don’t even get how people can think like this. These opinions are shocking and should have no place on this forum.Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

binners

What a sad, tragic little life you’d have to lead to actually take the time to complain to Ofcom about that.

That 25,000 people did tells you everything you need to know about how deeply unpleasant large parts of this country’s ‘culture’ have become in the last few years

Some people really do need to have a serious word with themselves

onewheelgood

Watch the video here https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zs9n2v4 and if you don’t have the time the transcript is below.

“There’s a big difference between being not-racist and being anti-racist. I know it doesn’t seem like it. I know that both of these things seem equally good, but they’re not. Think of an interaction. I’m afraid you’ve probably had one right? With somebody, maybe even somebody you respect, maybe even someone you love, who says something that’s racist, does something that’s racist, behaves in a way that’s racist. Someone who’s not-racist: they won’t say or do anything in that moment. They want to not rock the boat. They don’t want to be upstanding. Instead, not-racists: they tend to be bystanders. But afterwards, after the event, they’ll find other people who are also not-racist and they’ll talk to each other about, well, that was terrible, that thing that happened the other day. I would never say anything like that. Anti-racists are different and they come in all shapes and sizes. They come in all ages. Anti-racists are constantly looking around to say, what tools do I have available to make it clear that this is not acceptable? And this, this is what anti-racists do. It’s not that they stand up at the dinner table when their uncle’s a little bit racist and kick the turkey off. That’s not it. But what they do is they say, I’m sorry uncle John. That’s not acceptable. That’s racist. Quietly and respectfully. What they do is they make sure that they never miss an opportunity to let the world know where they stand, even if they can t change everything. You’re probably in a position where other people have a lot more power around you. I know how that feels. Sometimes, we sit and we look around us and we think, how can I possibly change all this? And sometimes you can’t. But what you can do is make sure wherever you go, people know where you stand. They know that you’re an anti-racist. You become a beacon of light that way. You become someone who makes other people want to be anti-racist too. You’ve got tools at your disposal. Learn. Read. And make everybody clear where you stand.”

OFCOM made absolutely the right decision. And now we know exactly where some STWers stand, and some are clearly standing in the wrong place. Sad.

lunge

I don’t see the need for it politicising on prime time Saturday night family TV.

Can someone explain to me how being anti-racist is now political?

franksinatra

I smile with the reference to “family” tv. Not a single one of those complaints will have been made by a young person. Not a single young person will have been outraged. The family bit has nothing to do with it. The naively racists adults were offended and are stupidly hiding behind family tv line to promote their outrage

kerley
    Free Member

It’s not political but what else can people have had as the issue they were complaining about.

Didn’t like the dancing is hardly a thing that would be recorded is it?

Superficial
    Free Member

You mean there are people who watch Britain’s Got Talent who are racist and stupid enough…

I’m visualising the Venn diagram here. So, uh, yes.

Cougar

I just don’t even get how people can think like this.

I think – hope – that in the latter case it’s simply ignorance.

An initial reaction to “black lives matter” of “wait, what about white lives?” is pretty understandable I think. They’ve inferred, incorrectly, that it’s intended as an attack and reacted defensively.

If however it’s then explained that what they are really saying is that black lives also matter, that “white lives matter” literally goes without saying because it was never under question in the first place, one can either revise their opinion based on new information or double down. And then we’re into “arguing with brexies” territory again.

“I don’t see colour” is a compelling argument but it is bogus because you aren’t being non-judgemental you’re being dismissive. You may not think there is a problem but the fact that I’m having to explain this shows QED that there is.

doris5000

doris5000 – If your post was satire, then i apologise. I read it too literally.

Well to call it satire might be giving it a bit too much credit, but it was certainly not meant to be taken at face value! 😉

It was a bit of a snarky poke at the OP. Which probably didn’t add an awful lot constructive to the discussion. But that’s another matter…

joepud
    Free Member

There’s a big difference between being not-racist and being anti-racist. I know it doesn’t seem like it. I know that both of these things seem equally good, but they’re not. 

This is 100%

pondo

John Amaechi is a legend.

richmtb

What a sad, tragic little life you’d have to lead to actually take the time to complain to Ofcom about that.

That 25,000 people did tells you everything you need to know about how deeply unpleasant large parts of this country’s ‘culture’ have become in the last few years

Some people really do need to have a serious word with themselves

That about sums it up for me

PrinceJohn

wow, some of the comments… just lost for words. And people say cycling doesn’t an issue with racism and diversity but clearly that isn’t the case. If you take issue with blm or some people dancing simply to matter have a word with yourself.

Can someone explain to me how being anti-racist is now political?

Slightly off topic – but there is a group on Facebook called look at my bike leaning against stuff – a lot of people posted in support of BLM & an awful lot of ‘Murrycans got very angry as they viewed them as politcal posts, but they were more than happy to post about July 4th.
    There is now an anti racist edition of that group, started by those who got booted out of the original group for being anti racist.

bazzer
    Free Member

Does anyone else differentiate between the BLM organisation and the black lives matter cause?

A bit like being liberal and that not meaning you vote Liberal?

piemonster

It’s not an organisation.

Wiki categorises it as a Decentralised Political and Social Movement. Which matches my perception.

richmtb

Slightly off topic – but there is a group on Facebook called look at my bike leaning against stuff – a lot of people posted in support of BLM & an awful lot of ‘Murrycans got very angry as they viewed them as politcal posts,

There is something very wrong when a simple message on human rights gets constantly portrayed as political.

Kryton57

Apparently 25k people have complained. Twenty. Five. Thousand.

Ashley Banjo said himself*, thats very much a deliberate negative portrayal of the message because on the flip side they’ve received hundreds of thousands of messages in support, a number which has not made into mainstream media and exposes it for what it is.

As he also said he’s glad 25,000 have complained, because now we know who 25,000 racists are.

*not his exact words

kerley
    Free Member

The 25,000 racists are just those that could be bothered to lodge a complaint. The other 25 million couldn’t be bothered.

martinhutch

There is something very wrong when a simple message on human rights gets constantly portrayed as political.

That’s nothing. ‘Wear a Mask’ is a highly-charged political statement in the US.

thebibbles

Interpretive dance or Britains Got Talent are not things I would normally choose to watch but that was actually quite good. 25,000 idiots waste a phone call to complain to OFCOM is how that should have been reported.

On a separate note, Ashley Banjo is a great name!

nickc

I wonder if any of those folk who complained stopped to think for a minute that they were complaining about dancing.

Idiots

Drac

Well done Ofcome.

To me it was perfectly obvious Doris was joking, I’ve no idea what the OP was thinking other than “This will get me some replies.”

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Sweezus.

When shall we humans grow the **** up and get used to the fact that it’s actually a really nice thing that we all come in different shades of skin tones.

DezB
    Free Member

An initial reaction to “black lives matter” of “wait, what about white lives?” is pretty understandable

I would say, only if you’re completely unaware of why it exists. Like somehow you missed the news about George Floyd (not to mention the historical events).

Cougar

The word “reaction” was important there.

didnthurt

Enjoyed the dance routine and thought it was very well done with a strong message of love, peace and understanding. I would like to thank the OP for starting the thread as otherwise I wouldn’t have ever seen it.

Shame about the OP’s (and others) bigoted views though.

joepud
    Free Member

An initial reaction to “black lives matter” of “wait, what about white lives?” is pretty understandable

I don’t think the concept of other white people comes into it, these morons just think oh does that mean i dont matter.

fooman

Isn’t it a show to find entertainment for un-elected head of state? Maybe that’s why and act with a message from the people is unwelcome. *

I found the performance quite moving and ultimately uplifting “sometimes you have to get sick, my boy, before you start feeling better” ofcom need a like button as well as a complaints procedure.

* I’m not negative about the show itself, I think it’s a showcase of some great acts you wouldn’t otherwise see, who have often dedicated their lives to perfecting their stagecraft.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Just wait till the likes of some in this thread realise that not only is a black!! woman!! who boxes for a living!! dancing in strictly, she is going to be dancing with another woman!!!!!!

Bgt gets 25k complaints. Strictly says hold my sparkly cocktail glass.

On this. Great dance, well executed and kudos to itv for showing it.

Cougar

I don’t think the concept of other white people comes into it, these morons just think oh does that mean i dont matter.

You might well have a point there, sadly.

Strictly says hold my sparkly cocktail glass.

Strictly has been trolling the professionally outraged for a couple of years now. I don’t watch the show but I take great delight in the Fury Erupting in the usual suspect red-tops over it. It’s about time these douche-canoes were challenged.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ 👍🏼

skellnonch
    Free Member

Slightly off topic – but there is a group on Facebook called look at my bike leaning against stuff – a lot of people posted in support of BLM & an awful lot of ‘Murrycans got very angry as they viewed them as politcal posts, but they were more than happy to post about July 4th.
    There is now an anti racist edition of that group, started by those who got booted out of the original group for being anti racist.

The anti racist look at my bike leaning against stuff for those who got booted out of the original group for being anti racist group

Topical & current, we need more of this kind of thing…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Diversity (the act) on BGT’ is closed to new replies.