• This topic has 88 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by mehr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Diversity (the act) on BGT
  • I didn’t see it last night, but it’s sometimes on in our house

However, apparently Ashley banjo decided to base his dance routine on a portrayal of a black man being knelt on by a Police officer

Some might say there is no issue with raising awareness of racial injustice, but I’m sure the whole world is aware of the George Floyd matter now – I don’t see the need for it politicising on prime time Saturday night family TV.

Discuss (yes I know BGT is shite, that doesn’t need pointing out)

Houns

Yeah best not show it when it can reach the most people, put it on at 11pm on some obscure channel so not to upset gammon snowflakes

1st reply, snowflake AND gammon. Well done

RichPenny
    Free Member

Gammon snowflakes sounds like the latest Mattessons offering.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

No joke I had to google ‘BGT’. Britain’s Got Talent! So I googled the telly on the youtube thing. Found it:

faerie
    Free Member

Wow! That’s the first time a dance has moved me to tears, it was so powerful and encapsulated the issues perfectly. Ashley Banjo is a genius and a hero for highlighting racial injustice and using his platform to good effect.
    It was BGT which brought the dance troupe Diversity to the nations attention when they beat Susan Boyle in 2009, who raised the profile of issues surrounding autism. The background of the contestants is usually a consideration for viewers when voting, they love an underdog.
    As long as they see the cause as worthy, relatable, and something that they could perhaps experience. Racial injustice is something that a minority of people in the UK can relate to and understand. Some might say that the BGT audience is the demographic which needs targeted to raise the awareness of the social injustice towards people who experience racism in our society. BLM is not about one man, George Floyd (Jacob Blake, Breonna Taylor, Daniel Prude, Barry Gedeus, Ahmaud Arbery, Sheku Bayoh…) it’s about the systemic racism present in our society which affects people every day in a harmful and discriminatory way. BLM is not a fashion statement that is fleeting, there’s been centuries of campaigning for equality and it’s about time we acknowledge the issues and recognise our participation in them.

Kryton57

I can’t say it better than Faerie so I won’t try, but to add:   this in a few moment utterly expose the capitalist, racist white establishment leadership that is so mocked in STW and other places in society.  Banjo is right with his routine, this has been exposed and we need to be very careful we don’t revert to the old brainwashed ways as they are trying so hard to make us do.

This about BML of course, but its also about people and society not accepting the dictat.

theotherjonv

Yep, very powerful. Art has always been a vehicle for statements, why change that because it’s mainstream art? Or should we take ‘To kill a mockingbird’ out of mainstream libraries, and only let elite art critics view Guernica as well.

We talk a good talk on here mostly, but this op and some of the responses to the trans/wetherspoons thread do make me wonder how much is show from some.

Cougar

You’re objecting to something you didn’t see?

spawnofyorkshire

Banjo has been using his platform for years to talk about equality, so this feels very fitting and was really well done.

MoreCashThanDash

I missed it, but the family saw it and unusually commented on how great it was.

As others have said, if a dance routine on a prime time “entertainment” show us the best way of getting the messages across, then I’m happy that at long last BGT has achieved something worthwhile.

AD

Probably best to watch it before posting an opinion? Just a thought.

EDIT – meant in response to OP!

robj20
    Free Member

The whole black lives matter is rubbish.
    Surely of you want to get rid of racial anything it should just be lives matter.

There will always be a racial divide if they keep doing things like this.
    I don’t see a black person or a white person, it’s just a person.

I see it as positive discrimination.

faerie
    Free Member

Robj20 seriously?
    Are you trolling or completely ignorant to the difficulties that people who experience racism have?

MSP

I have the opposite view to the OP, it annoys me when actors and singers etc, make tabloid statements and pay lip service to the problems the world faces, but don’t express those views through their art. I find it pathetic when they make vacuous statements about peace and equality while making films and music that promote greed and glorify war.

I want music that rails against the current political oligarchy, films that reflect a little reality (instead of justifying police violence as necessary for example).

So well done to diversity for using their stage and art to promote a political message, I wish more would.

robj20
    Free Member

And in your opinion those are the only two reasons. Or I just see it differently than you.

brant
    Free Member

And in your opinion those are the only two reasons. Or I just see it differently than you.

That’s because you’re a racist.

faerie
    Free Member

Robj20, a bit of both then. My opinions are educated and informed rather than being based on my personal prejudices. Have a wee look at my profile, there’s links to my experiences and thoughts.

*Edit, have a wee read of the George Floyd thread

gingerbllr
    Free Member

Surely of you want to get rid of racial anything it should just be lives matter.

faerie
    Free Member
    teethgrinder

gammon snowflakes

Snoutflake is the word you’re looking for.

faerie
    Free Member

“Remember when we were kids and didn’t see color?”
    This is the song that Diversity danced to:- Black Lives Matter – Dax

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Very talented people, the dedication needed is epic.
    What was the question?

doris5000

What was the question?

I think it was, why do all the blacks and gays and environmentalists have to go on about it so much? Almost every day they’re kneeling down, or dancing, or complaining about the litter up Snowdon. I’m as progressive as the next man, but I don’t need to hear about it while I’m eating my tea, thank you very much. There’s a time and a place.

grum
    Free Member

Yes, racism is only caused by people campaigning against racism, the bastards.

doris5000

I don’t see a black person or a white person, it’s just a person.

If you don’t see black people or white people, who do you mean by ‘they’ ?

alpin
    Free Member

if a dance routine on a prime time “entertainment” show us the best way of getting the messages across,

Then perhaps the level of education and awareness in society is far behind where it needs to be.

Can’t stand BGT personally, but I watched the clip. Fair play to them for doing it, but it didn’t certainly didn’t bring me to tears.

The fact that inequality and racism needs pointing out makes me sad.

spawnofyorkshire

why do all the blacks and gays and environmentalists have to go on about it so much? Almost every day they’re kneeling down, or dancing, or complaining about the litter up Snowdon.

I’ll bang on about environmental matters because it’s my profession and it’s the way i get the organisation i work for and the industry i’m in to change and improve.
    I find it funny how the ones who seem more delicate and resistant to change are the obnoxious loudmouths. Even the ones who try to mask it with ‘jokes’ or trolling are attempting to hide their unease or complete lack of empathy. It’s really quite sad

tdog
    Free Member

It’s like women still going on about equality and such forth however all lives do matter of course.

it is a sad state of affairs in DURRMerica more so than UK so yeah I see your point OP

Kryton57
    nickjb
    Free Member

If you don’t want to click on a sky news link:

Britain’s Got Talent: Diversity’s Black Lives Matter performance won’t face Ofcom investigation
    Complaints over over non-family friendly viewing, political bias and alleged racism towards white people have been dismissed.

spawnofyorkshire

Excellent! It’s nice to see a rational and considered response from OFCOM.

pondo

Good stuff. 🙂

franksinatra

The simple fact it that the dance made Daily Mail readers absolutely furious. That must mean it was proper, decent, fair and topical.

I work on the basis that more something is hated by the Daily Mail readership, the more I approve of it.

Blackflag
    Free Member

I think it was, why do all the blacks and gays and environmentalists have to go on about it so much?

?? Because these issues are still issues, surely thats blatantly obvious to you.

I’m as progressive as the next man

Only if you are standing between Tommy Robinson and Nigel Farage

piemonster

The whole black lives matter is rubbish.

Its “Black Lives Matter“, not “Only Black Lives Matter“.

Blackflag
    Free Member

And if things are ever going to really change, then it has to come from the mainstream. So well done Diversity for having a go.

And if that makes you feel uncomfortable then you really need to do a bit of self examination to ask yourself why that may be.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve never been moved to comment on the underlying theme of a dance act before. OP caught the bait, hook, line and sinker. Well done for spreading the word, even if it was inadvertent and exposed you as a bit of a bigot.

?? Because these issues are still issues, surely thats blatantly obvious to you.

Let’s not assume what’s ‘blatantly obvious’ for you is blatantly obvious for someone else.

I mean, I thought it was ‘blatantly obvious’ that Doris’ post was satire.

Its “Black Lives Matter“, not “Only Black Lives Matter“.

Im coming to the conclusion that the only people who get upset by BLM are people who are just racist. See also: “All buildings matter” in relation to 9/11.

Anyway, with a name like ‘Diversity’ they probably have to do a bit for promoting, er, diversity.

Edit:

I don’t see the need for it politicising

This gets my goat a bit. Is racism a political issue now? I know it’s pretty obvious that a lot of our politics are entwined with race issues these days, but I thought we had to at least pretend that UKIP aren’t racist and that Brexit was nothing at all to do with immigration and xenophobia?

Cougar

I rather think that that post was intended to satirise bigots rather than it being the poster expressing their actual opinion. ‘s how it read to me anyway.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Im coming to the conclusion that the only people who get upset by BLM are people who are just racist.

Yep. Or just thick / greedy cos they think equality means they get a smaller slice of some fictional pie.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Diversity (the act) on BGT’ is closed to new replies.