Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Dirtsuit or separates?
  • kiwijohn

As the nights close in and the weather turns nasty, I’m looking for some waterproofs for night riding.
    I quite like the look of the Endura or Dirtsuit onesies, but I’m not sure if it’d be too much of a compromise over flexibility of a jacket & trousers.
    Any Dirtsuit or Endura users think they’re the best thing ever or not all that?

johnw1984
    Free Member

I really like the look of these. The idea of just stripping it off in once piece and being clean and dry underneath appeals 🙂

I suppose the only issue is if the bottom half wears out, the jacket portion is rendered useless.

lucky7500

Dirtsuit user here. I got mine at Christmas and used it pretty much every ride until the weather started getting a bit better here in Scotland. Having had similar worries to you, and particular concern over being too hot / sweaty I have found it to be absolutely fantastic. Doesn’t seem to restrict my movement at all, plenty of vents to regulate temperature, and perhaps most importantly taking it off after a very muddy & wet ride to be totally dry underneath never gets old! Seems to be hard wearing as well as I have taken a few tumbles with no resulting damage.

feed

I have the Endura MT500 one. It’s brilliant. I reserve it for when the weather is at it’s worst as I have loads of other options for when the weather isn’t so bad and I want to prolong the MT500 as it was pretty spendy. It’s effectively like separates except warmer (in a good way) and muck from the back wheel can’t find it’s way through the gap as there isn’t one.

Mate has the DirtSuit, it definitely runs a lot hotter which means it’s not a warmer weather option. Endura could be used on a warm wet day as the legs zip down to shorts and lots of vents.

ayjaydoubleyou

I suppose the only issue is if the bottom half wears out, the jacket portion is rendered useless.

this is my fear, although in fairness I haven’t tried one.
    My mt500 jacket has never been in the washing mashine, still works great. (I just let it dry and brush it down).
    My bottoms get washed every ride, and in muddy winter they do a stint in a bucket or bathtub first. I just accept I’ll get 1 or 2 years out of them.

continuity
    Free Member

As the get closer and the weather comes in…

Mate are you ok? It’s nearly May. We haven’t even passed midsummer yet. What planet are you on?

Just get a little muddy.

z1ppy

Post on FB lately about an owner ripping his open, obviously if it can be repair brilliant, but otherwise that one hell of bit of kit to bin. The do look great, but I’d still buy the individual items

We haven’t even passed midsummer yet. What planet are you on?

Did you miss the Kiwi bit of his name?

v7fmp

i have the ‘cheaper’ Endura suit and think its great.

Used it all through winter. I can deal with being hot, i have some sort of ability to just get on with it. Whereas a good friend cant stand being hot and quite often ditches his jacket (whereas i would keep wearing mine and just be hot). He was looking at a suit, but went with trousers and jacket to combat his inability to tolerate heat.

So it depends what kind of person you are.

But as i say, i have one and really like it. Just make sure you get the right size. I ordered a large, as thats what i wear with jackets etc and it was massive. So sized down to a medium and its a much better fit, but still with enough room to wear knee pads and a 1litre Evoc bum bag under it.

doomanic

I have one and think it’s brilliant. Mine is an older model Pro with Short legs so overheating isn’t an issue but I’ll probably get one with full legs at some point. I also have various jackets and trousers so I have pretty much all conditions covered. My favourite bit is knowing that whatever I ride through I’ll never have a gap between waistband and jacket.

scuttler

Thoughts and Prayers Southern Hemisphere resident 😉

johnjn2000

Hi have the Dirtlj Core onesie and love it. It is much more comfortable than a separate jacket and short/trouser combo and is just so brilliantly well made. Pockets where you need them, great hood storage, and a hood that fits over the helmet. Zip off legs, and side zips on the legs to aid removal or putting on with shoes. It is just a brilliant bit of kit. 2 downsides if I was being picky, price, and leg length. Being of a short and tubby stature I needed a medium for the waistline so i don’t look as neat as the tall, and slim people in the adverts. Functionally, cannot fault it, oh, and also their after sales support was great with regards to caring for it and some alteration questions I had.

kiwijohn

Thanks for the input guys, & yes I am a Kiwi. But I now live in the deep south of Tasmania, so not dissimilar to NZ.
    Dirtsuit only has the short leg Pro edition in stock, haven’t looked anywhere else for them.
    CRC has the cheaper Endura suit, which looks like the cheapest option overall, so I might give that a nudge.
    Cheers.

kiwijohn

Oh hello, bike discount has the Dirtsuit pro for about the same price as an Endura.
    So, long legs or short?

oikeith

A riding buddy had one of the cheaper Endura ones this winter and being lanky I was jealous of the lower back cover and ease of getting it off at the end of the ride. Will look to pick one up this summer I think, not sure I can pony up for the more expensive one though!

frogstomp

Probably not so useful if you are in a different country, but Endura do offer a garment repair service which would give me a bit more peace of mind shelling out for one of their suits.

dirkpitt74

I’ve got the Endura SingleTrack onesie.
    Only used it a couple of times on the bike but it’s been brilliant.
    Was also useful when we had all the snow for sledging with the kids!

ayjaydoubleyou

So, long legs or short?

My thoughts on this are longs – going to the effort and expense of waterproofs to leave your legs, kneepads, and top of your shoes expsoed to mud and spray from the front wheel seems a bit pointless.

I’ve said before, I’d take non-waterproof trousers in preference to waterproof shorts any day of the week for bad weather riding.

kiwijohn

Good point. I’ve only got waterproof shorts, while a few riding mates have gone the trouser route. The full suit would be even better.

timbog160

I’ve found lightweight MTP ex British army waterproofs to be ideal, and I prefer them to a onesie. They cost £10-20, are great quality, and very light so you don’t get sweaty. The bottom of the legs can be a bit flappy so I threaded elastic through the hem and they are now perfect. The jackets are also great, but you do look like a bit of a survivalist if you wear both together 😀

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve got a Dirtsuit core and the Classic.

The core is heavier duty than the Classic and has been really nice and warm when it’s been just below freezing here in West Yorkshire. But all the vents mean it’s easy to control the heat if you’re climbing or it warms up. Having the full length legs is great as when you get back to the car you can take it all off and you’re literally clean underneath.

I love it so much I bought a classic one (3/4 legs), this is slightly lighter weight material which means it’s a bit less cumbersum, I’ve used this in warmer rides too up to 10oC, with a really lightweight base layer that wicks you can control the warmth.

I’m completely sold on the idea of the onsies, it’s dead easy to get changed too, as it’s just one item then your socks, shoes, helmet and gloves. If like me you just wanna do the absolute bare minimum to get out of the door and pedalling then there’s so little to think about.

bentudder

yeeears ago a bunch of us used to race the Dragon DH series in Hein Gericke motorbike onesies. Dirt cheap (from memory about £40), zero ventilation but you only needed to have it buttoned up for a run. We found another perk when racing / riding in the French alpine leg – you could jetwash each other as well as the bikes and have a sparkling clean outfit for the next run.
    The new dedicated MTB ones look like a really clever extension of that dirt cheap, boil in the bag option – although I’d want to know more about ventilation as I work up a bit of temperature when riding general stuff.
    Also, a massive vote for Endura’s garment repair service. I used it over the winter and it’s as wonderful as the people behind it. Really top notch.

kiwijohn

Well. I ordered the Endura & it finally showed up (my refund for not so express shipping might take a bit longer)
    The suit is really nicely made & the medium fits perfect at 180cm tall & 90kg.
    As these things go, it’ll probably be a dry winter now, so haven’t got a chance to test it yet.

Heading for winter thread resurrection

Dirtlej Core users, how do they size up?

I’m 6′, long legs and arms, 32″ waist, not sure about chest, but quite big with broad shoulders, 80’ish kgs

DickBarton

I’ve discounted these as I’m convinced they’d be complete sweat boxes…I’m certainly ‘clean’ removing my waterproof kit but I’m never dry – sweat far more in waterproofs – so the idea of being dry is completely alien to me – even naked (well, pair of budgie smugglers and socks) has meant I’ve been to hot and sweated.
    I’m genuinely unsure what I should be wearing to get the sweat away as I’ve tried several techniques and none appear to work better than the others.

matt_outandabout

Don’t assume they’re any sweatier than separate layers, if you wear them in the weather they’re designed for.
    They’ve got a lot of vents.

Eldest loves his, but it’s definitely kit for the manliest, coldest, wettest days.

https://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/6476682/rider/77952

Rubber_Buccaneer

Dirtlej Core users, how do they size up?

Their size guide tool is pretty accurate so I’d go by that, if you are 6’ and 80kg with a genuine 32” waist you are the right shape. I’m 5’8” about 70kg and 32” waist on a good day so not comparable to you but their size guide puts me top end of small. And the small is a very good fit but the waist is the first thing to get tight and let me know to back off the pies. Anyone with a bit of belly may find the cut doesn’t suit

Anyone know if the OP in this thread link below has the ‘Steel Blue’ as per this pic, or is it an older more garish colour?

Dirtlej Core

I can cope with the colour if it looks like the ad, but the one in that thread is just a bit too blue

montgomery
    Free Member

We have a suspect for the Somerset Gimp case.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Are you anywhere near Slam69? They may have stock so you an check the colour and fit on top of which they appear to be a decent shop to buy from.

Dirtlej dirtsuit core edition – Steel Blue

No mate, I’m in Derbyshire

tetrode
    Free Member

Anyone know if the OP in this thread link below has the ‘Steel Blue’ as per this pic, or is it an older more garish colour?

He mentions in that very thread that he got the ‘Sapphire Blue’ one. The ‘Steel Blue’ is the updated colour it seems.

oikeith

My earlier post in this thread had me jealous of a riding buddy with one, I have since picked up the MT500 version and love it, only two rides on the bike, but did everything that was expected.

Also been used as an adult puddle suit when my toddler wants to go out in the rain and jump in puddles..

kiwijohn

Nice one @oikeith.
    I did manage to put a hole in the bottom on my first ride & a few more since.
    Need to find sail tape to patch it again.
    I know you guys can send your Endura gear back to get fixed, but we can’t down here.

blackhat
    Free Member

Reading this thread I get visions of the next James Bond charging around in one, then unzipping with the full tuxedo underneath

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.