Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Dirtlej Dirtsuit – looking after it
  • linusr

Dirtsuit

I’ve just bought a Dirtlej Dirtsuit, Core Edition… (stop laughing!) https://www.dirtlej.com/dirtsuit-core-edition. It’s not cheap but it is very well made and I’m pretty impressed by the feel of it. And after riding all through the (very wet) autumn and winter last year with a poorly fitting waterproof jacket and trousers this must be an improvement. It’s got a hood, long arms and legs and very adjustable (I got size large and I’m 186cm tall and 78kg – it’s a loose but comfortable fit). I’m hoping I can get ten years use out of it – off-road riding, road riding, and even long winter walks in the wet and cold months. Anyone got one? And could you share any tips for keeping it clean and looking after it?

scaredypants

well played keeping your face out of the shot – the last poor bastard had about 10 years of pisstaking 🙄

kiwijohn

I was thinking about one, but they don’t ship down under.
    & it doesn’t rain that much down here.

PrinceJohn

Do you have to undo the zip all the way from the top to take wee?

lightfighter762
    Free Member

I have the classic edition and use it in winter around the tweed valley. Works well on cold days and post ride its easy to strip it off and change. Hose it down with my portable Karcher and hang it in the van. Thats it. Wash it proper every 5 rides or so. No heat. Delicate wash. I used it once in a fall rain storm doing the inners xc red climb up to Minch Moor. Decided to head on up over to yair and the suit paid for itself on that ride. A torrent kept at bay. Mates were miserable and I was on point. The fun making stopped after that trip.

darkroomtim
    Free Member

Yep I have the classic – use through winter on local training muddy ride – just hose it off and let drop dry outside then let fully dry inside – tis great

tdog
    Free Member

Where would one acquire such a prestigious clothing article?

serious question btw

chrisdw
    Free Member

I’ve always wanted one. I love one piece sports gear. Kayaking dry suit, ski thermals and suit. It’s just so much comfier and warmer.
    Wash gentle cold wash with just water, then occasionally tech wash or soap flakes.

linusr

@tdog

serious question btw

I ordered the Sapphire Blue from these ppl https://www.stifmtb.com/collections/dirtlej It arrived in the post the next day.

linusr

@tdog

serious question btw

I ordered the Sapphire Blue from these ppl https://www.stifmtb.com/collections/dirtlej It arrived in the post the next day.

(note to admins: I see the website and forum is playing up. I’m getting error pages trying to post and other glitches)

sharkattack

These things look like such a good idea but they’re bit, er, visually challenging.

I wish they’d tone down the colours a bit so they look less like industrial radiation or hazardous waste suits. They look like you’re about to be lowered into a sewer to smash up a fatberg.

I’ll probably try one eventually. Do they have a pee hole? Asking for my girlfriend.

linusr

Thanks @lightfighter762 @darkroomtim @chrisdw for the care tips. Qs about taking a pee: just the same as wearing bibshorts – unzip all the way. I don’t think the women’s version is any different.

jkomo

Has no one tried a farmers one for about £30?

linusr

I finally got the chance to wear the Dirtsuit in heavy rain today. After a 90 minute ride on my fixed gear bike around central London and a couple of laps of Hyde Park, any worries I had about fit disappeared. This is the best piece of wet weather gear I have ever worn. It felt a bit baggy at first, but on the bike it was comfortable and did the job. The sleeves and the cut around the shoulders are particularly good. There’s an extended piece on the upper wrist that covers the wrist of my waterproof gloves to stop water running into them. On the legs at the front there is a strap to hook on to the top of my shoes to keep them snug over the top of them. All this without restricting movement. Between crotch and shoulders it fits fine even when bent over with hands on the dropped bars pedalling hard. The hood can be easily adjusted for a good fit (I’ve not tried it over a helmet). For a long-limbed rider like me this is the best fit I’ve ever had from wet weather kit. No-one was laughing.

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

Next do a cheaper version in either Spider-Man or Batman design.

They only seem to have them in stock in the smaller sizes at present.

dknwhy

I’ve got one on order from here:

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/dirtlej-core-edition-dirtsuit-cycling-skinsuit/

Good price…

TheBrick
    Free Member

Y thoughts when I saw these was that they would be hotter and less wel ventilated than separate leggings and jacket but users in this thread seem happy.

Becareful what you wash it with.

Gotama
    Free Member

After a 90 minute ride on my fixed gear bike around central London and a couple of laps of Hyde Park,

Wait…..what?! Now I quite fancy one of these for winter slop rides after going the trouser route a few years ago but using it on a fixie round Hyde park….Impressive 😁

kayak23

Graham at Slam69 has them.

I’d never wear anything that expensive on a mtb but yeah…

ahsat

Do you have to undo the zip all the way from the top to take wee?

and as a women, remove the entire top half…just having take every top of to remove your bibs…simple answer is normally just hold on.

Have to say, all that aside, these do look kind of tempting. How breathable are they?

linusr

@ahsat

How breathable are they?

It seems pretty good. Plenty of zips to undo to vent off any steam build up. Not that I generally generate any steam at the pace I go…

chakaping
    Free Member

You don’t have a saddle with raised stitching do you?

If so, swap for a smooth one immediately.

doomanic

I wore my previously cherished Dirtsuit Pro for the first at FoD today. Best outerwear I’ve ever bought. Highly recommended. No piss taking, even from my mates, but it was perfect weather for it today.

I’m 1m77 and 89KG and a L is spot on for me. The chap I bought mine from has another for sale if anyone wants it.

Tim
    Free Member

I really like these. Seem great for when it’s grim out. Expensive but then so is a decent jacket. On my want list for commuting and trails, and be great for bike parks.

doomanic

How breathable are they?

Not too bad, I’d say, although I suppose that depends what you are comparing it to. I was wearing short sleeves so my forearms felt a little clammy and my lower back was damp from sweat but given that the back of the Dirtsuit was gopping, I’m not really surprised.

doomanic

And could you share any tips for keeping it clean and looking after it?

https://www.dirtlej.com/productcare

stevedoc
    Free Member

I was so close to ordering one today, then though no need Endura mt500 shorts seal skins mavic gortex boots and singletrack jacket will do the 3 hours in wet Saddleworth ..

Long and short 3 hours later my top half was find but from the waist down like an otters pocket.

This brings me right back to the simple question.. what is the sizing like on these im even tempted to drive to said retailer to try one on.Being 6-3 clothing has always been a paint in the AAAA

linusr

@stevedoc I’m 6-1 and 78kg and the large fits good. If you weigh over 85kg
    maybe go up a size. Comments on sizing here https://youtu.be/8R9DBFkyMLk

welshfarmer

Cheaper options here 🙂

Get the yellow one for proper bad weather lol

https://www.inglesport.com/product-category/cave/caving-clothing/oversuits/

stevedoc
    Free Member

@Linusr I think at 6-3 and 90kg xl would be a fair shot , tbh Im looking at a ride near the retailer anyways so perhaps 2 birds 1 stone

linusr

@stevedoc yeah XL probably. Bear in mind the retailer may not let you try it on in the shop, depending on their Covid policy. So check returns policy beforehand.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Yeah for a moment I totally forgot about that …..

thebibbles

@stevedoc I’m 6’5″ and 95KG. My XXL just arrived and is definitely big enough and can fit pads in easily if needed. I would have thought an XL would be fine for you.

mrchrist

I just took delivery of the Endura singletrack version, looking fwd to the next downpour:)

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/endura_singletrack_waterproof_one_piece_suit_2021-ID_81110

dknwhy

My dirtlej core turned up a couple of days ago from the German link I posted. Quality is exceptional – almost too thick a material.

Ordered a medium (5’9 and a bit, 78kg, 31″ leg). Fit is good on the top half and waist but slightly long in the leg. Don’t think this is an issue though as it means better ankle protection as it won’t want to ride up.

Will be interested to see how well the ventilation copes/works.

Plan to use it for those weekends where I need to get out of the house regardless of weather, night rides in winter and as a safety net for those planned trips where you’ve got a weekend in Wales/Scotland and the forecast looks terrible!

Will report back once I’ve tried it out…

Stevelol
    Free Member

These weren’t on my radar after LOLing at the price of the Endura MT500, but I really want a Dirtlej now!!! Santa please…

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

I bought an endura singletrack onesie for £180ish last week. I’ll no doubt look like a d1ck while I’m wearing it but to be honest that’s no change from usual 🙂

Where these things score is for winter slop and night rides when there are less people around to laugh at your clothing choice.

thebibbles

If people are laughing at my waterproof onesie rather than my lack of skills I’m going to be onto a winner!

goby

So hows the waterproof onsies going then any reports on what you all think?

jamescarters
    Free Member

Love mine. Got it last year and it’s been flawless. Even took it snowboarding and it was perfect. Apart from looking like a dick obviously.

Got another (larger) on the way as this one seems to have shrunk since lockdown.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Dirtlej Dirtsuit – looking after it’ is closed to new replies.