Home Forums Chat Forum Dinky toy restoration!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dinky toy restoration!
    Harry_the_Spider

I’ve dabbled in Airfix, Tamiya RC cars and Scalextric. So the next logical step would appear to be Dinky toys.

Going to have a go at renovating these two 50 year old wrecks.

They aren’t in bad condition given their age. But each needs a strip and clean, new tracks and glass work, decals and a coat of paint.

Will do one in the original green and the other in the light blue of the TV show livery.

WhatsApp Image 2024-09-27 at 16.30.45_3b888347WhatsApp Image 2024-09-28 at 17.51.38_410b0460

richmars

I’ve got one of those, plus the box. Currently in my mum’s loft.

Harry_the_Spider

Is it in good condition?

If so see how much they go for!

tthew

I’ve seen some of these restorations and improvements of basic cars and such on Instagram, and wonder where do you get the spares from? Can’t be a huge market in new tracks for those things!

Harry_the_Spider
    kormoran
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of boxed matchbox cars , they are really nice tactile things. No idea where they came from, I suspect my parents were planning to give them as gifts and forgot about them.

Are they not worth more in original unrestored condition?

Harry_the_Spider

Absolute original minters go for hundreds, but wrecks go for around £30-£45 and restorations £60 and above. Neither of my two are original.

You are right about the tactility. The weight and the temperature.

kormoran
    Free Member

Oh that’s interesting. The restoration spares are amazing!

Even the little cardboard boxes feel nice, crisp and the colours are intense. The spring wheels always feel good

FB-ATB

I’ve got a SHADO UFO Interceptor, when I was a kid I scratched the chrome paint off the front panel to show the orange plastic. The paint was flaking off so I helped it along.

There’s some chrome paint in the garage left over from restoring car light reflectors. Might be a little project when the nights draw in.

Harry_the_Spider

Cool.

I was looking at them too, but finding a nice one was a bit expensive.

Shame Dinky painted so many of their Gerry Anderson stuff in strange colours. They had their reasons, but as an adult and a fan of the shows I would like to have seen them in their screen liveries.

FB-ATB

I wonder if that site had legs for Thunderbird 2? There must be thousands of them in lofts with broken legs. Why they thought legs with the strength of vermicelli would hold a diecast toy.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Several YouTube channels do stuff like this and reveal where they get spares from. Marty’s Matchbox Makeovers is a good one.

Harry_the_Spider

I wonder if that site had legs for Thunderbird 2?

Yep. And now I want one!

tthew

Found the diecast modification I quite enjoyed on Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/reel/DAQ5gpNvF-P/?igsh=dGJoZXVjdWprMng=

redthunder
    Free Member

Britains Deetail for me.

Collect the standing figures and few mounted.

But I have been looking at the vehicles…. Must resist.

PS: Any of you guys got any Deetail in the loft, give me shout:-)

I had loads of the Stargard stuff as a nipper. The price it fetches today. Yikes.

redthunder
    Free Member

Starguard.

Sticky heads. How is yours holding up ?

The few  I have are in quarantine.

Harry_the_Spider

Britains Deetail figures!

In my dad’s loft are a Scots Guards pipe and drum band, Waterloo and numerous Crusaders/Saracens & Cowboys/Indians figures.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.