Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Did Shimano make the ultimate crankset installation system? Discuss.
  • garage-dweller

Pah! Properly fitted cotter pin cranks are the go…

A statement only matched in its inaccuracy by rants about road tax and in disfunction by windows Vista. Dreadful things.

nevermindthebutter
    Free Member

Shimano nailed it. I hate crude interference fit ‘systems’ with a passion. If they’re not working loose, they’re frozen on because some clot dry installed them. Square taper, Raceface, GXP all suck.

cookeaa

IME HT2 (with a BSA threaded BB) is pretty much ideal, I’m still using some pretty old Hone cranks without issues.
    The BB’s last very well, but they could have been designed for even better bearing life.
    The one thing I never understood is why HT2 had to have a 24mm axle, I reckon 3/4″ (19mm) would have done just as well and allowed the use of slightly larger section bearings…

But I’m also a big fan of Square taper from a “cheap, with very long bearing life” perspective, they will work happily for decades if installed correctly, just weigh a bit more than more modern HT2.
    It really depends on the application, what does the bike need?

But I’ll not be buying a SRAM group crankset by choice any time soon…

epicyclo

garage-dweller
    A statement only matched in its inaccuracy by rants about road tax and in disfunction by windows Vista. Dreadful things.

You obviously didn’t have a big enough hammer.
    Here’s the smiley I forgot to leave last post… 🙂

ratherbeintobago

And another thing: for these high(ish) torque fittings, is anyone using Torx or something rather than hex interfaces?

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Did Shimano make the ultimate crankset installation system? Discuss.’ is closed to new replies.