Home Forums Bike Forum Custom hardtail build – alternative to Hunt Wheels?

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Custom hardtail build – alternative to Hunt Wheels?
  • t3ap0t
    Free Member

Ryanbuildswheels worth a look for hand built.

john_l
    Free Member

Strada wheels Stans arch & hope £555 ? ?

Talk to Darren at Strada – he’ll recommend a build based on your riding style, weight etc, and has many more options from DT, Hope, Miche etc than is shown on the website.

paulmac135r
    Free Member

spoke to Darren at length – he was very helpful & absolutely knows his stuff, but I’m still working through all the options…

Does anyone know what Hubs JRA use?

nedrapier

Bitex, as far as I know.

pipm1
    Free Member

JRAs Traildog30 boost pair uses Bitex BX211F + BX211R i think. I’ve got a pair, not used them yet.

poah
    Free Member

yeah but JRA overcharge their rear hubs by a lot compared to the actual cost of the bitex ones. Buy the actual bitex ones over JRA if you go that route.

lawman91

Those Silt wheels look great value, especially the carbon ones! Anyone used them? They alloy Enduro/Trail wheels got a great review in MBR this month

marmot010
    Free Member

Good eve ; considering some Bitex ‘ boost ‘ hubs for a build. Any one with real time experience with ? Sound ok ; look pretty good & well made . Any user opinions would be cool 👍

superfli
    Free Member

Can’t help with bitex hubs, but thought I’d look at fitwheels.eu to see how much a set of excellent dtswiss 240s on xr391 rooms would be as I recently built some for my spur.
    https://fitwheels.eu/wheelset-dt-swiss-240s-classic-xr-391-29-1720g-p-199.html

500euro is an amazing price! Ok, not the exp hub, but still with 36t ratchet. And you would have to get boost adapter for front as it’s only 100mm.

davros

I’ve had a bitex build from JRA for a year and I’m really happy with them. Fast engagement and not too noisy.

poah
    Free Member

Currently got bitex on my hard tail. No issues at all.

marmot010
    Free Member

Cheers ;

Yer superb ; however the 391 are slightly narrower’ int ‘ looking @ 30mm rather than 25 ; altho 25mm int maybe ok..
    running Wtb verdict 2.5 F Judge 2.4 R ..
    cheers for thoughts & info .
    🍻

marmot010
    Free Member

Cheers Davros,
    Impressed with the Bitex right ?
    Are they the Boost version? Defo get some good reports ;

Have You used the DT350s / Pro 4s for comparison?? 🍻 or anyone’s opinion welcome ..

marmot010
    Free Member

Cheers ;
    For HT duties here too !
    Have You used DT Swiss 350s / Pro 4s for comparison etc ? The Bitex for sure look & sound good for sure eh

davros

Yeah I’m using the boost with 54 points of engagement. And my other wheels use dt350s. The extra engagement is welcome on the hardtail, but 36poe on the full sus is fine too. Also had pro4.

Bitex use a threaded axle assembly so you can’t just pull the free hub off. But they’re easy to work on. Switching to microspline requires a different axle to HG or XD, but they’re cheap.

benpinnick

Ive built myself some Hope Pro4 DT Swiss XM421 with Super Comp spokes as an experiment in mid weight wheels to see if 25 vs 30 makes a big difference. And the answer is no I can’t really tell the difference on a Maxxis 2.4 tyre.

1790g but most of the ‘additional’ weight over many wheels is at the middle where it only counts towards total system weight, they ride light despite having a couple of hundred g on some of the above and I know that I have a pretty bullet proof trail wheel set that will have no spare parts issues going forward, as long as you keep a couple of spare spokes to hand. You could get the same weight/strength with a 28h build which means 1 spoke length, comp spokes & no hassles.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Custom hardtail build – alternative to Hunt Wheels?’ is closed to new replies.