Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 330 total)
  • Cube Reaction 29er ?? Any good?
  • JPothecary
    Free Member

On slipping off the granny ring..i’m concerned on how close the ring runs to the frame…thinking of going 2 x 10 I know the XT shifter can be set for either 2 x 10 or 3 x 10 is it just a case of removing the granny ring and setting the front mech?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I got the LBS to stick a 2×10 XT chainset on mine. Works great, but the chain line is slightly different in a 2×10 set rather than just taking off the granny ring.

I have kept the 3×10 front mech, Im not convinced it is giving me the best shifitng performance and will probably change it once i stop breaking things like my garmin.

Its easy enough to give it a go and see what happens if you dont like just stick the granny back on and flip the switch to 3×10 on the lever.

Mine has the metal strip on the BB btw.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Never again will I buy a bike from MHW Bike House. What a nightmare!

I will let you know if they put it right for me. In the mean time I have a brand new bike I cannot ride.

At least I’m enjoying my other bikes at the moment and my Team New Zealand cycling jersey has arrived 🙂

tony24
    Free Member

so hows everyone getting on with there’s ?

i am still like this 😆 every time i ride it

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Did Mabie on Sunday and blasted round it, its the first time i have felt right with the bike, so its taken a few rides to get my head round the subtle differences.

It felt so good going up the elevator.

Conditions were perfect which always helps.

razor

Still really pleased with mine – the difference in speed is noticable but my mates are saying it’s cheating!

No problems with tyres in the wet (or dry) and tubeless conversion went really well too.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

First ride yesterday, very quick bike, handling is very different to my soul though, need to practice some tech sections!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Razor what pressure you running now its tubeless?

plodtv
    Free Member

snapped my chain, thinking of changing the brakes, and thinking of changing gear cables, but god I love the bike.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Sorted out all the little issues and have been out a couple of times. Really like the bike. Quick, smooth and light.

Planning to go afters some KOMs (strava) tonight in my favourite hunting ground. Will be interesting to see if the bike is quicker on the climbs than my Elite HPT which is pretty light and fast too.

plodtv – let us know how you get on with changing the cables. I will go for PFTE coated ones next time. Might even use an XTR set.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

The Brakes are mega, cant see why they need changed.

The one thing i am going to change is the Stem, 90mm is just too long for me, i feel the eright is just a bit too far forward. Going to stick a 60mm stem on it once i get some money together.

velomanic
    Free Member

Agree with stevewhyte – the brakes are mega, why changer them?

tony24
    Free Member

maybe the levers? i prefer my XT brakes with 1 finger levers the formula levers are very long. they feel great in use though.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Out on the 29er for the first ‘real ride’. Proper fast. Got two KOMs – one, more than 30 seconds over the next fastest on a steep 5 minute climb. Put everything into it but stuff very surprised a the margin. The guy I beat does 100 mile rides (hitting KOMs on the way) on his road bike.

Also took at KOM from a guy riding a Lapierre Zesty over an undulating technical bit of single track.

Very surprised at how much faster this bike is. My 26er is pretty light and quick but this thing flys!

Tony24 – Suggest setting the brakes up so your index finger sits comfortably into the v of the lever.

plodtv
    Free Member

Yeah, I am reasonably happy with the brakes, but I do prefer my XT I have on the bouncer. Cables I am indeed thinking of pfte coated ones.

jwmlee
    Free Member

The XTR set I was recommended for my 26er is superb. Massive improvement. Will go with PFTE when they need replacing.

When I replaced the front mech cable the routing through the down tube wasn’t a problem – must be good guides inside the frame. The routing through the bottom bracket was a hassle. I’ve been in touch with Cube to ask how they recommend doing it. They use ‘straws’ to guide the cables. Not sure what they are but Cube are sending me some in the post.

mcmullej
    Free Member

@Razor – it’s not really cheating – more positive discrimination.

plodtv
    Free Member

jwmlee you reckon you can post some pics when they arrive?

jwmlee
    Free Member

Will do.

jwmlee
    Free Member

My stead – so far unmodified.

[/url] 29er by jwmlee, on Flickr[/img]

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Not too keen on the bar width on my pro considering low rise ec70 (685mm) or carbon haven bars (710) anyone else tried wider bars?

tony24
    Free Member

Wider…. No way lol i cut mine down felt like riding a boat.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Yes, they are pretty wide. Leaving them for the time being.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Hmm, maybe I’ve just got too used to the 720mm bars on my soul

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I have stuck a 60mm stem on mine, feels much better on a quick rideout. Its not the nicest of stems but will do till i get a decnt one.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Whole set up seems pretty good for me. Can’t really see anything I want to change in the short term. Amazingly quick bike.

nickstock
    Free Member

Partly due to the comments on here I purchased my 19″ GTC SL yesterday, and straight out for a local spin (Coed Llandegla and off piste). Cut to the chase……its the bomb. A great bike that is just fast fast fast. I havent riden enough recently and my relative fitness is a bit off and I have been puffing on my Anthem. Felt a breeze so looking forward to getting fit and going fast (er).

Now downsides, bit slower reactions to the 26″ but just need to change style and bear it in mind. Couple of stiff short natural climbs I got my weight wrong and dabbed where I would normally clear but again its a different bike and need to learn what it likes.

An ‘action’ shot

It even stands up when told.

And at rest

Great bike very pleased, hope you lot enjoy yours.

jwmlee
    Free Member

nickstock – how much did you pay for it at your lbs?

nickstock
    Free Member

£1619 net which was retail £1799 with £180 to spend in store which I did on bits I needed, including tubeless conversion kit.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Nice one.

razor

@stevewhyte I’m still experimenting, but I’ve been running them at 35psi with no problems. Does the shorter stem make it feel a bit sharper?

I found the limits of the mud clearance in the Herts. clay this morning (not much).

I’m also starting to get picky; those Formula brake levers and XT shifters were obviously not designed to be on the same bar together. Waiting to get the blanking covers so that I can move the shifters out under the brakes.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Im running 35 psi with tubes, seems ok right now.

Not managed to get out a ride with the stem on, just out on the road for a quick ride round the block. I feel more comfortabe on the bike with the 60mm stem, not sure how it will feel on te trail with regards to the steering.

I know what you mean about the shifters/levers. The shifters seem a bit far away, not sure i am that bothered by it. Will be interested to see how you get on with the blanking plates.

I am going to order on of the on-one stems, seem good value and nice and light to replace the temp one i am running right now.

Overall i am very very happy with the bike, it really does ride well. The only major thing i would want to change is perhaps an extra 1 deg less on the steering angle. I might feel a bit happier on steep decents. I just need to get used to it and alter my body position more.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Another snapped chain here, took out the rear mech hanger too, back to the shop tomorrow to see what they have to say.

gsp1984
    Free Member

I imagine they will say you need a new chain 😉

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Yeah, and a mech hanger, more concerned about the chipped lacquer /carbon around the hanger and dropout.

jwmlee
    Free Member

I scraped the lacquer when the chain slipped off the granny ring. Bike shop checked it and said no structural damage.

Have put some helicopter tape stickers around the spot to stop it happening again and asked the bike shop to put in a complaint to Cube. No reply as yet.

Time to just enjoy the bike.

jwmlee
    Free Member

I scraped the lacquer when the chain slipped off the granny ring. Bike shop checked it and said no structural damage.

Have put some helicopter tape stickers around the spot to stop it happening again and asked the bike shop to put in a complaint to Cube. No reply as yet.

Time to just enjoy the bike.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Maybe changing to a 2×10 set up for me has been a good move, as yet i have had no drivetrain issues.

razor

6-week service tomorrow

Still haven’t snapped my chain (even though I got the wheels jammed with mud) – looking forward to it!

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Chain and hanger replaced, frame OK, now, what 29er tyres for mayhem, thinking beaver at the moment

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 330 total)

The topic ‘Cube Reaction 29er ?? Any good?’ is closed to new replies.