• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by igm.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Creative frankengear folks – 10spd and 11spd trainer – help
  • igm

Ok.

Toying with the idea of a wheel off turbo trainer. So far easy – yes?

But I want to use it and so does my wife and elder son.
    I’m on 11spd Shimano (STIs or bar end) and they’re on 10spd Shimano.

How can we use the same trainer?

Two freehubs one with each cassette for the 10 & 11 spd set-ups? Easier than swapping the cassettes over on their own. Practical?

Two turbos? Not happening.

Wheel on turbo? Not my preference, but might be the only option.

Shimano bar end shifters with a 11 spd / friction shift setting? Does someone make these?

Buy wife and son 11spd set ups or go back to 10spd on my bike? Possible, but feels like there should be a better option.

Just try my 11spd on a 10spd cassette? Shouldn’t work but might be OK for say 7-8 of the gears.

Someone tell me they’ve done this and how they got it to work.

igm

No one?

cashback

i asked this recently, the general consensus was try and get a bike frame that would fit all 3 of your with a quick release seat post. depends on the height difference obviously but it is not like you have to go around corners.

cashback
    steve_b77
    Free Member

10 speed works well enough with 11 speed shifters and mechs for turbo use, I’ve done it to no I’ll affect unless of course you’re zwift racing and then only the very best will do🤣😂🤣

igm

Thank you all.

Sounds like bang it on and see what happens followed by cheap frame forks and drive train if it really needs it.

Thanks.

igm

Breaking news.

The Tacx website says you can take the freehub off with a 5mm Allen key without removing the cassette first.

This needs checking out.

If two freehubs one with 11spd and one with 10spd means an extra 30 seconds swapping bikes then I think it’s a goer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Creative frankengear folks – 10spd and 11spd trainer – help’ is closed to new replies.