Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Turbo training for two
  • cashback

does any one have any experience of a turbo training set up for two people of very different heights? is it best to use a kickr/Nano and keep switching the bikes or is a watt bike worth it?
    swapping the bikes would also probably require swapping cassettes, as i am still on 10 speed and the wifes on 11.

most probably to be used on zwift.

timidwheeler

I’m 5 foot 5 and Mr TW is 6 foot 5.

We discovered his old hardtail can just about fit us both, we just adjust the seatpost with a quick release. Having to swap bikes over was too much of a pain, we also needed to change the cassette everytime. It might be worth trying her on whichever of your bikes has the most seatpost showing.

As we are using an old bike we just leave it permanently set up. As a result the turbo gets plenty of use by both of us.

avdave2

As above I’d go with compromise old bike. I’d of thought a good trainer and Ebay special should cost less than a Watt Bike I use mine a lot, it’s got a bike permanently on it ready to go which means no faff and no excuses. I’m lucky mines at work in the warehouse with pc, screens and a pa system all set up to go as soon as I finish work.

DavidB
    Free Member

We have one bike on a Kickr core. It’s my wife’s size but I can cope with it being a little bit small. We have our own saddles on separate seatposts and swap when need be. Biggest PITA is having to keep logging into Zwift as separate users. Actually Helen leaving her sweaty towel behind is worse.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

We use a Kickr Snap, i.e. the smart trainer where you keep the wheel on. Fantastic piece of kit, and it takes all of 30 seconds to swap bikes. It’s also half the price of the Kickr.

Edit: I’ve got 11 speed, and she’s got 10 speed, so we would have had to swap cassettes on a Kickr

weeksy

We just use 1 bike and 2 seatposts marked with a ring of tape.

avdave2

Get a tandem to put on it, should do well on Zwift with that

Garry_Lager

You wouldn’t need to change the cassette using erg mode on a smart trainer. The bikes will have a few ratios that are happy in both 10 and 11 speed.

Changing bikes sounds like a right old ballache, but not as much as shelling out for a watt bike which are like £1500 are they not?

llama

Swap bikes but a wheel on job. It’s a CycleOps one and the clamp is sprung so it is quick to swap. Not as quick as swapping a seatpost, but not much more. The Tacx we had previously was a faff to swap as it needed adjusting to get the right tension each time.

OR: if you have money for a watt bike treat yourself to a 11 speed groupset instead

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’d vote wheel on trainer and swop bikes – it takes seconds.

mst
    Free Member

We’ve got a wheel-on trainer and just swap bikes over. Takes a minute or 2 and there’s a hook on the wall for the bike that’s not on the turbo.

mrchrispy

I’ve a core and 2 bikes.
    swapping it a 30 second job but its also a great excuse if I cba and the kids bike is on the trainer. might explain why am so fat!
    I going to see if I can get another core a bit cheaper (managed wiggle discount last time) as 2 bikes next to each other looks pretty mint!

mattbee

I’m 6’2” and the wife is 5’7”.

We have a Tacx Flux with a bottom of the range Boardman road bike permanently on it.

Two seatposts/saddles, used old reflector brackets as height stops.

Put a 50mm stem on it and a set of cheap Ebay aero bar extensions.

The saddle position is correct for both of us, her bar reach is a shade too long compared to her ‘actual’ bike but ok for an hour or so on turbo.

It’s a bit short for me but the aero extensions let me get stretched out and I just suffer it being slightly short on the hoods for sprint efforts.

TiRed

Is go with a dedicated bike and two seatposts or a QR clamp. I’d also add an adjustable stem you can rotate if needed. Once you’ve gone direct drive, you’ll never go back to wheels.

cashback

Morning all, thanks for the replies, I have a wheel on trainer at the moment and swapping between bikes is ok but the right bike is never in when you want to use it. An eBay special with two seat ports sound the best idea I hadn’t thought of that
    Cheers

avdave2

I’d echo what TiRed says. I went from a basic wheel on to direct drive and wouldn’t go back. I dithered for some time over spending £500 on something that went nowhere but it’s the best £500 upgrade to riding I’ve ever spent. It’s made all my bikes faster 😊

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Turbo training for two’ is closed to new replies.