Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 182 total)
  • Cotic Rocket to be UK made…
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

According to the press release it will be the FS Cotics that will be UK made, so I assume all the hardtails will stay in the far east.

I thought they were starting with the FS frames, and once these are up and running will expand?

“The plan for the next few months is to concentrate on establishing the production line building the Cotic droplink full suspension frames,”
    “Once this production is up and running we will be in a position to start working with new customers on making their frames.”
    “I’m extremely proud of my adopted home of Sheffield, and to have some of the Cotic frames made right here in South Yorkshire by a company I helped found makes me very happy indeed.”

The press release suggests not, at least in the short term. if it were me, BML would have to be proven and well established over a few years before I put all my eggs in one basket. That’s assuming they could compete on price for hardtail frames.

tangent
    Free Member

Wicked news !…. 1st Hope start doing purple anodising again… and now there,s a groovy British steel fabricated full Susser…can I request a purple friendly colour way for the frame … Good luck Cy

noteeth
    Free Member

1st Hope start doing purple anodising again

No doubt you are already petitioning Dia Compe to put 987s back into production… and for the KLF to release a new album. 😉

Good luck Cy – a bold and worthy move.

they really made the hill come alive

Nothing makes a hill come alive like a Gary Fisher Montare…

”redefine the concept of free climbing and bike ballet”

Bike ballet is the new-old 650B – y’all heard it here first, etc etc.

misinformer
    Free Member

Is it only me that didn’t get it?

ratherbeintobago

Is it only me that didn’t get it?

Didn’t get what?

Brother_Will
    Free Member

I do love how almost any discussion on here turns into a wheel size debate lol

Its great news that we are getting another quantity bike builder manufacture in the UK and what with the increased popularity of custom built bikes as well cycling is really experiencing a renaissance and im glad there are enterprising individuals to take advantage of it.

misinformer
    Free Member

Didn’t get what?

Wrong thread ,this comment was for the Scifi thing with Noah Wyle in it.

Its great news that we are getting another quantity bike builder manufacture in the UK and what with the increased popularity of custom built bikes as well cycling is really experiencing a renaissance and im glad there are enterprising individuals to take advantage of it.

A lot of large companies are reshoring after their experiences of doing it overseas,it really has very little to do with cycling.

MrSmith
    Free Member

People have tried manufacturing full suss bikes in the area before and failed. can’t remember the brand, Sheffield made with blue/white paint jobs, hopefully second time lucky.

thepodge
    Free Member

Those were blade bikes or something similar. One of the guys who set it up was in dirt a few months back building carbon frames in his cellar

misinformer
    Free Member

There was an article on another website with Intense saying why he is still sticking to making stuff in his own workshops, I cant remember if it was bike rumour or radar ,was definitely one of those.

Made lots of arguments for being all “hero of making things” blah and blah ,at the end of the day it’s a bicycle if you don’t have enough cash in the pot to buy fancy home made goods it’s all moot, your going to buy a Giant or something VFM like an On One

ratherbeintobago

A lot of large companies are reshoring after their experiences of doing it overseas,it really has very little to do with cycling.

Not sure this is a particularly large company.

People have tried manufacturing full suss bikes in the area before and failed. can’t remember the brand, Sheffield made with blue/white paint jobs, hopefully second time lucky.

It’s not like Halifax is that far from Sheffield…

misinformer
    Free Member

Not sure this is a particularly large company.

Exactly

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s not like Halifax is that far from Sheffield…

No idea if it is or isn’t without consulting an atlas ❓

Northwind

misinformer – Member

There was an article on another website with Intense saying why he is still sticking to making stuff in his own workshops,

I think they struggled to find anyone else who could make them squint enough for their standards.

ratherbeintobago

No idea if it is or isn’t without consulting an atlas

45 mile journey via M62 & M1. However the point I was making (in a very roundabout way) is that the relevance of there being one failed bike manufacturer in Yorks is of as much relevance as Orange being not far away.

I think they struggled to find anyone else who could make them squint enough for their standards.

Intense have just poached their new CEO from Crank Bros, so it’ll all be fine now.

misinformer
    Free Member

Fans to the forum please,might have guessed

And then 🙄

Alex

Edge Bicycles I think?

Anyway best of luck to Cy. Big difference between talking about doing stuff and actually doing stuff.

cy

Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts guys.

No plans for hardtail production in the UK. We have plenty on with FS frames.

GHill

Any chance of an XL Rocket now you have your own production facility? I guess it might make more sense when you don’t have to order a big batch (note, I know nothing about manufacturing).

bigrich

I’ve been rocking a soul in Australia for ages, I well fancy one of these. How long until Tom gets some?

Northwind

ratherbeintobago – Member

Intense have just poached their new CEO from Crank Bros, so it’ll all be fine now.

The perfect storm 😆

I_Ache
    Free Member

cy – Member
    Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts guys.

No plans for hardtail production in the UK. We have plenty on with FS frames.

Thank **** for that. My wallet was beginning to twitch!

timraven

Great news and creating much needed jobs…now please build a Ti Soul!

[s]Soul[/s] Rocket 😆

chiefgrooveguru

Orders are now open – 50 in orange or green, small/medium/large:

https://www.cotic.co.uk/order/framebuilder/rocket/

colournoise

Finally. Pre-order made.

Excited.

Just hope they manage to hit the promised mid-March delivery date.

dannybgoode

Now if only I had £1500 kicking around I’d be pre-ordering one. Ah well, will just have to wait to see if a bonus materialises at work this year…

roverpig

£1350; is that the same price as before? Either way it sounds pretty good for a UK made full suss frame with shock.

souldrummer
    Free Member

So tempted, but I leave work in 8 weeks time so money may well be tight. Oh well; a boy can dream!!

Rickos
    Free Member

Full bike price seems competitive too. Full XT, Pikes and Hope Hoops (Stan’s Flow) for £3,200.

colournoise

roverpig – think prices are pretty much exactly the same (allowing for different shock options now they’ve dropped BOS) as previously. Result I reckon, and pretty interesting from an economic PoV if this first batch aren’t loss leaders.

Northwind

No black 🙁 Still, orange. I’m probably not a customer but you never know.

rOcKeTdOg

These here rockets, they still 26″?

Couldn’t find any wheelside info so surmising they are as per the original spec with the 26″? 😕

Simon

I think they are.

rOcKeTdOg

So as the world embraces everything but 26″ the new venture is only manufacturing the smaller wheeled bike, that’s very UK centric, hopefully there is a big enough market for that

roverpig

I think Cy has already explained this. Cotic’s core market is people looking for frames on which to hang bits that they already have. That market still wants 26″. If/when that changes, so will they.

Speeder

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    So as the world embraces everything but 26″ the new venture is only manufacturing the smaller wheeled bike, that’s very UK centric, hopefully there is a big enough market for that

I’m very interested in a 26″ frame just like most of the mountainbike population who are a bit perplexed by this need for change that the industry seem to have. The only way I’m going 650b or 29″ is if I’m buying a complete build and then I’d have to compromise the spec massively – I’d have to make do with new Deore and Xt compared to the slightly 2nd hand XTR and X0 stuff I got when building my bike from the classifieds.

Very interested in a Rocket at £1350 though I’d prob go for the CCDB Air over the Fox. Even at £1600 that’s great value and makes certain other brands look very poor VFM.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

OK as there still some incorrect facts and is it this or is it that….
    Copy of the email and why they drop a couple of shocks.

Here’s all the relevant information:

The initial batch of 50 frames will be available in mid-March, in orange or green.
    Shock options are Fox Evo CTD or Cane Creek DB Air Climb Switch, or no shock at all
    Sizes are the standard small, medium and large
    Wheel is still 26″ !!
    Complete bikes with full XT/Pike/Flow EX/Hope build will be available
    Prices are as follows:
    Frame no shock – £1,099
    Frame + Fox Evo CTD – £1,350
    Frame + DB Air CS – £1,599
    Complete Bike + Fox Evo CTD – £3,200
    Complete Bike + DB Air CS – £3,549

We’ve changed the shock options compared to last year for a number of reasons. Firstly, we’ve been very disappointed with the performance of the Kashima level Fox CTD shocks, so we weren’t happy specifying these on the bikes. The Evo CTD works great, I suspect as a result of having fewer bells and whistles, and it certainly benefits from not having the Boost Valve in my experience.

We loved the BOS shocks, but the distributor pulled out and the customer support ended up not just bad, but borderline non-existent. I was caught out by this by having to have a shock serviced at BOS because they’d not sent the tools to the importer and ended up waiting 2 months for it to come back because they shut for August and were ‘a bit busy’ beforehand. I wasn’t happy to carry on selling their product on that basis. It’s important to me that you guys can rely on what we sell you, even if it comes from someone else. With Jungle now looking after the brand hopefully people who bought BOS from us will be looked after in future.

And so to Cane Creek. We’ve been working with them since talking at Eurobike last year and I’ve had a test shock for a few months. We have a base set up which I’ve worked on and we’re getting our own firm tune on the Climb Switch. It’s an incredible shock for DH performance, but it is a fair bit heavier than the Fox and even the firm Climb Switch isn’t a lockout as you’d expect from another brand of shock. This means that it’s more of a decision about what kind of riding you’re planning on doing when it comes to the shock choice, but you won’t be disappointed with either option.

To reserve your UK made Rocket frame, there’s no deposit needed, just head over to our Rocket order page and get your name down.

Jeffus
    Free Member

4 months too late, bought a 26″ Tracer , tis an awesome bike
    , wanted an Orange Rocket 😀

rOcKeTdOg

I’m very interested in a 26″ frame just like most of the mountainbike population

I think “most of the mountain bike population” is the US & the rest of Europe & I doubt that many of those have heard of a small UK designer who makes hardcore HT frames. I presume Cy is trying to make a living not just doing it for love so narrowing your market to a few riders in the UK who have 26″forks and wheels knocking about (afterall all other bits will fit any bike) is a bit of a gamble given the money that must have been invested in the venture

Rik
    Free Member

Anybody know what shock tune the Rockets run?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Rocket to be UK made…’ is closed to new replies.