Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Cotic FlareMAX – pics and small review
  • pjt201
    Free Member

If it helps, I quite liked it when I rode it. But then, what do I know, the last time I seriously rode a full suspension bike before that was probably 2011 (but I didn’t like that bike).

The main issue was the temperature and humidity which just seemed to make the idea of doing any kind of outdoor exercise completely ridiculous. I think it’s worth persevering with for a bit.

d4ddydo666
    Free Member

I’m guessing increased rebound damping does the same job as LSC – stops the shock from bouncing around as much, which is the real killer, so anything that stiffens it while climbing is a good thing.

Studiously avoiding a second trial of either Flare (pretty sure it is the bike I should’ve gotten), but I was Hella surprised to find on the Rocket I’m generally a fair bit quicker uphill and about the same downhill as on my HT. Getting faster down as I gain confidence in it tho B-)

BigDummy
    Free Member

I wanted to come back to this, as it’s been a couple of months. Since posting, I have:

– had the fork travel reduced to 130mm; and
    – fettled extensively with the rear shock settings, which currently has a LOT of low speed compression damping and a good deal less high speed rebound and compression damping than I started with.

Reducing the fork travel was a HUGE improvement, immediately. It doesn’t seem like a massive deal, but the whole bike felt better right away – position is improved, keeping the front down is easier. I think I didn’t fully correct with stem height for the drop at the front by raising the bars, so probably ended up a touch lower overall – feels much more purposeful when I set off to climb something.

Suspension fettling is still a work in progress, but the current settings have got it popping nicely, which I’m enjoying immensely.

Also (and this does matter!) Hong Kong autumn/riding season has finally arrived, average temperatures are down around 25degrees and the humidity is hardly an issue. So it’s objectively pleasant to ride a bike in the hills. 🙂

null
    null

tall_martin

Have you thought about getting someone to tune the shock with you? A mate who is good at that sort of thing/ shop/ guide or some one similar?

Alternatively what about a simpler shock? I’ve got a Fox dps, cane creek coil and cane creek air. I’ve mostly given up on the coil as I couldn’t get it to feel right this summer. The dps was easy to tune: add air, add bigger volume spacer and occasionally fiddle with the air.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ve also found a 140mm fork a bit high. But I’ve (hopefully) ‘sorted’ this with a pair 10mm rise bars to replace the 30mm ones. Tendon issues in my foot has curtailed full on mountain biking at present so haven’t had the chance to test it out yet…

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Cotic FlareMAX – pics and small review’ is closed to new replies.