Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Cotic Flaremax – how heavy really?
  • woots787
    Free Member

Yup, bet all the Flaremax owners will be horrified to know a different model bike didn’t make it through the jump line at revs with one bolt out.

Weight is a tricky one. My rocketmax is slightly lighter than some of my friends aluminium bikes because I can usually get away with exo casings and no inserts plus my mrp ribbon air is pretty light. It is heavier than my flaremax was but feels better on climbs because of how the shock behaves. I agree the weight should be a handicap but you need to try a whole package and see how it suits you.

slackboy

Pictures, you say? Excellent.

Mine weighs about 34lb. It’s got lightish wheels but everything else is fairly burly. Vigilantes weighed a tonne though.

scc999

You lot are NOT helping.
    Really want to demo one before I hand over any cash. I’ve emailed Cotic today so I’ll see if they are able to say when I might be able to do that. I’m local enough that I can head over mid week for a morning or afternoon demo.

At least they are out of stock of the Supernova Orange in medium – will stop me just saying “sod it” and ordering one!

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Holy thread… snooze alarm Batman! Not really old enough for a resurrection.

@cakerider
    , the wee bag you’ve got on your lovely red FlareMax – is it one of the restrap ones Cotic sells? And, is it waterproof? They look a good solution to frame space…

Thanks, Jimmy

kelvin

I can’t see if cakerider has the Restrap one… same location though. I have one on my hardtail (carrying stuff low in the middle of the bike makes sense to me on all bikes). Mine has never let water it, but I do take it off when hosing down my bike.

mos

I’ve got one of the low down ones on my XL. Its a restrap, reasonable waterproof regarding rain, but not hosepipes.
    I suspect if you leave a multitool in there all winter without checking, it will be rusty. Mine fits a tube, tool, co2 & sweets or possibly a thin jacket instead.

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Thanks Mos, good to hear.

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

And Kelvin, ta. Sounds like a decent solution. Can always put a placcy bag in there.

intheborders
    Free Member

My large Flaremax mk2 weighed a kilo more than the carbon Camber Evo it replaced (same components).

But it is about 200mm longer and far, far more capable.

It’s now at 35lbs because it’s so capable I’ve added 203mm discs both ends, Michelin Enduro’s at +1kg an end and stronger/heavier wheels.

Also had the rear extended to 132mm and put a -2 degree headset in.

Climbs well too.

Jonny5
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered one. I think the Banshee Prime I was looking at was quoted at about the same frame weight. On the test ride I felt the weight on some climbs but otherwise not an issue. Most non carbon trail bikes seem to be north of 30 lbs.

mos

Worth checking the pivot & pinch bolts & popping some loctite on there. Mine worked loose once.

cakerider

@jimmyjuju yes it is a restrap one, frame is size large and it is a good fit – and pretty much all I need for short to medium rides.

As @mos says it has coped well in rain and some wet west of Scotland rides but wouldn’t class it is fully waterproof

Really happy with the frame bag and glad I spent the extra on it, decent solution for sure

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Nice one, good to hear and thank you for getting back to me about it. Don’t know why I hadn’t come across them before really.

cakerider

@jimmyjuju no worries, I had to query the bag when ordering the frame as the description on the site is not clear. was originally going to get one that fits in the top of the front triangle but decided it would interfere with water bottle on the underside of the top tube

endomick
    Free Member

Still no answer on frame weight several weeks later, hmmm very telling, or should that be “not telling, it’ll affect sales” 😃

intheborders
    Free Member

The problem you have is companies posting weights that are ‘optimistic’ and/or theoretical, and often in small/medium sizes.

Plus no real world pedals, cages, guards, sealant etc – they probably also chop the cables/brake lines down to a minimum.

I regularly do +5,000ft days on mine – so it can’t be too heavy.

kelvin

Still no answer on frame weight several weeks later

The very first post was correct:

Somewhere between 3.8kg and 4.0 kg according to the internet, so 8lb plus.

I confirmed it in the very first reply:

That sounds spot on.

Perhaps I should have been more clear… that was based on knowledge, not guesswork.

————————————————————————————–

Guy Kes weighed his at just over 4kg with shock and headset…

He went for a WAY lighter build than I would…

It’s what he wanted though…

endomick
    Free Member

Hardly a confirmation initially Kelvin, but thanks for clearing it up, so its basically 9 pound give or take an ounce or two with no protection on the stays, downtube etc.
    Nobodies expecting it to be near 8 pound, but the alloy rear can make people think maybe it’s around 8 1/2, its nice to get a decent more accurate figure.
    Let’s answer the original question and call it 9 lb to save disappointment.

mutepoint
    Free Member

Dunno however some 🤡selling a used one for newish price over >

kelvin

it’s around 8 1/2

That’s right.

Atomizer

I bought a medium Flaremax after all the wavering at the start of this thread. 4145g straight out of the box, including shock, rear axle, seat clamp and dropper cable outer. And paint!
    This is using my Amazon special fishing scales.
    Still building it up so no idea on final weight. May get it finished this weekend though.

RichPenny
    Free Member

@kelvin, I’ve got a small flare and quite fancy the restrap frame bags, both the above and below shock ones. What’s the dimensions of those?

greeny30
    Free Member

Poor Kelvin thinks just over 4kg is 8 1/2 pounds, try pounds and ounces when you use your conversion app, 8.8 is not 8lb 8oz.
    Some people just wont listen to reason. 😃
    Nice one atomizer, first thing I do is inspect then weigh a new frame.

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

@endomick @greeny30 bet you’re fun at your pedant parties.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Flaremax – how heavy really?’ is closed to new replies.