Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Cotic Flaremax – how heavy really?
  • Atomizer

Got a real hankering for a Flaremax but the frame weight seems to be bothering me. Somewhere between 3.8kg and 4.0 kg according to the internet, so 8lb plus. No frame weights on Cotic website.

I don’t want to spend carbon money as this is N+1.
    Weighed my 18 bikes steel 29er hardtail yesterday at 13.6kg with pedals, 2.6 tyres, dropper seatpost. So nigh on 30lb.

Anyone got any real experience on this frame and how the overall bike feels weight wise?

Haven’t had a full sus since a Turner Sultan back in 2013.

kelvin

Somewhere between 3.8kg and 4.0 kg according to the internet, so 8lb plus.

That sounds spot on.

joebristol

One of the lads in our riding group has one – he’s been surprised by how heavy it is. I don’t think he’s got an insanely burly build but he weighed it at around 35lbs!

In comparison I’ve got a Bird Aether 7 which is similar intentioned bike (albeit with smaller wheels) and it’s got lyriks / codes / chunky tyres etc in it and that’s a couple of lbs lighter. So the Cotic frame must be built pretty strong / tough and weigh quite a lot I’d suggest.

dazh

Anyone got any real experience on this frame and how the overall bike feels weight wise?

Not sure on exact weight but my mk1 Flaremax is easiliy >30lb and that’s with carbon wheels and fairly blingy parts. Don’t worry about the weight though, it climbs extremely well for a heavy bike and the weight helps on descents when you need to batter through obstacles. The main place the weight becomes a hindrance is going fast on the flat. If that’s what you want to do get an XC bike.

kelron
    Free Member

My 2018 XL is a little under 16kg on a luggage scale. GX Eagle, x-fusion fork, shock and dropper and Hope wheels with heavy tires. You could certainly build it lighter but it’s never going to be a light bike. Can’t say it bothers me much, it feels great downhill and has loads of traction climbing. It’s not much fun on the road of course.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

My mark 1 flaremax comes in at 14.9kg on my Chinese luggage scales.

It rides well. Only notice the weight lifting it over styles.

stevehine

I’ve got one. I don’t notice the weight in normal riding; I’d say it’s a couple of lbs heavier than the bike it replaced; but that was an old school short travel XC bike so not really a fair comparison.

That said; I’ve no idea how much it actually weighs … I’d guess about 32lb. It’s not dramatically heavier than the bikes of other people I’ve ridden with.

Atomizer

Thanks all – my rigid 27.5×3.0 bike is 32lb or so – a few more pounds for the benefits may be worth it. And yes even if I could go fast on the flat i’d use a different bike!

kelvin

(albeit with smaller wheels)

The Flare frame is about 100g lighter than the FlareMAX… and then you’ve got wheels, tyres etc… there is a weight penalty for having a 29er… but it’s worth it for most people, if they even notice it when riding.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

I own a 2019 Flare Max and it weighs about 35lbs. It’s built with some pretty light but hardcore components like I9 alloy mullet wheels, Cane Creek cranks, X01 gears and Intend Edge fork. The weight doesn’t bother me and is only really noticeable when hoying it over a stile. The bike also feels a lot more competent than any other 120mm trail bike I’ve tried, in the downhill sections due to the steel construction.

akira

Weight seems not to matter, mate got one and got some PRs on climbs first ride out and was coming from something lighter.

Atomizer

All sounding good so far!

blurty

Don’t worry about the weight, the frames are perhaps 2lb heavier than a good carbon or alloy equivalent but Cotic bikes just really really go! If you’ve got any doubts why not organise a test ride? Could you get up to Derbyshire?

kelvin

Medium FlareMAX demo bike is being rebuilt today (and they’ll be a small soon) … there are plans to do a limited number of individual demos of full sus bikes from their HQ soon … the process is being worked on as regards Coronavirus by Sam&Co now … feel free to contact him to talk about it … sam@ youknowwhere.

Atomizer

In Lincolnshire so not that far away. Definitely need a short travel full susser here!

moonsaballoon

I don’t know the exact weight of mine (medium flare max) and it’s definitely not light but when your riding it it just feels right . I’m sure there are better bikes for getting up a fire road quicker but if you love riding singletrack and technical stuff you’ll love it .

The one thought I have had is that as it’s not a light bike would I of been better getting a rocket as the extra travel doesn’t really give to much of a weight penalty . Depends obviously on what type of stuff you like riding and where I suppose .

Edit , just read your after a short travel so ignore that last bit I suppose 😃

Nick

I’ve really not noticed the weight of mine at all, I guess it might have helped that I’ve lost 7kg at about the same time as I got it though.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve got a brand new medium frame sat here waiting to be built up once there’s some actual prospect of me being able to do it without my arms falling off. It’s supernova orange and utterly gorgeous. I can weigh it if that’s any help?

Atomizer

Thanks BadlyWiredDog would be useful to confirm Kelvin’s email (which I’m sure is right!)

greeny30
    Free Member

Going off full builds I’d say closer to 9lb than 8lb.

roverpig

I just weighed mine. Size Large. Full build including pedals and a bit of mud seems to come in at 32lb. That’s me on the bathroom scales then me plus bike.

Nothing particularly light about the build. Pikes, GX Eagle. Wheels are Arch Ex rims on Hope hubs and tyres are Magic Mary front and Rock Razor rear. OneUp dropper. Hope brakes. All pretty standard trail stuff really.

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Didn’t Guy Kesteven get his down to about 29.1lbs? Mix of light and not so light parts.

I enquired a while ago and was told frame just over 8lbs. Guess that depends on size but if accurate that’s not bad. Have had a Banshee Phantom and a carbon Whyte both heavier than that.

bedmaker

Swings and roundabouts really.
    I have a similarly weighty Starling murmur and the weight is only really noticeable when HAB, especially coupled with tehe relatively slim steel tubing.
    Pointed downhill though, that extra few punds of steel goodness makes the bike that little bit more planted.

halifaxpete

Demo’d one a while back, I noticed the weight (even compared to my Five29) However never really felt it when riding TBH. Loved it, still want one.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

My medium RocketMax is a gnats over 33lb with a robust but “save weight where I think I can get away with it” build. Helms, Trailwides, WTB 2.4/2.5 tyres, X01/XTR drivetrain. You might knock a lb or so off a Flare Max, but it won’t be much more than that.

Geometry and suspension feel are the big differentiators.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The ‘cool story’ I pull out in cases like these is my experience of a back to back test ride of a Santa Cruz Hightower, then retailing for around £5k so a pretty decent build, and my mates brand new cotic flare max with used components transferred from his old bike, so by no means a light weight or expensive build. On paper the SC was lighter but in reality the additional weight of the cotic was not really noticeable. The weight difference was a small percentage of overall bike weights so you really couldn’t feel it on the bike. In fact the cotic rode better all over as far as I was concerned. It climbed better, descended better and just felt taighter. Ok it was Cannock chase so not a gnarly bike park or uplift centre, but we’ve been to those since and the flare max took whatever my mate threw at it with ease. He won’t mind me saying that the bike was not the limiting factor.

So don’t get bent out of shape about one on-paper number.

Atomizer

All sounds like good info and advice to me. Basically a kilo or so heavier than the carbon standard. So 1% of total bike and rider weight. Finger hovering over the buy button!

tourismo

I absolutely love my Flaremax. It’s significantly quicker up and downhill than my old, lighter hardtail. Mine came with Vigilantes, which are pretty heavy. Swapping to Bontrager XR4/XR3 made a noticeable difference in how the bike rides, saving around 1kg. It’s never going to be XC race light but it’s such a great, fun all round mtb. Highly recommend it.

stevehine

FlareMax in it's natural habitat

Just order it already 😉 !

mccraque

I test rode one in the Surrey Hills. First time I had swung a leg over one on trails I have ridden countless times.

It is heavier on paper. It’s probably not going to win a race up hill against someone on an Epic or a Spark. But it was by no means slow. in fact, I was amazed at how spritely it felt…and actually seems to surge you forward on climbs.

But point it the other way…..I set a load of PRs that day. That I have still yet to beat. Lovely bike. Just couldn’t quite justify the spend and opted for a Solaris Max instead. (also great!)

roverpig

Oh, we’re posting pictures now are we 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

Medium Longshot FlareMAX frame with Cane Creek shock weighs bang on 4.2kg / 9.24lb on my trusty digital balance. Headset cups and upper bearing included along with the rear axle and a length of tube pre-installed in the dropper cable slot.

stevehine

you need more orange bits @roverpig 😀

4130s0ul
    Free Member

As per Joe’s post up top i was surprised at how heavy it was (a shade under 36lbs) but mainly because i wasn’t expecting it!
    On anything flat or mildly downward it accelerates rapidly and keeps momentum really well. it is also great for confidence as it just wants to ride through and over everything. It pedals really well with little no no noticeable bob unless your up and hammering the pedals.
    The main thing holding it back on the ups is my fitness, it can happily spin away long after my legs and lungs have dropped off.
    As others have said i could probably drop a kilo or so by changing the forks/tyres etc but i haven’t gotten around to it.

roverpig

You could be right @stevehine Of course, there is no need for the OP to have this problem as the new ones are available in supernova orange anyway 🙂

mrmoofo

mine weighs 14.4 kgs .
    XL – but not built to be light.

cakerider

Just finished building one up myself with a sensible rather than bling build and just weighed it and comes in at 33.8lbs in size large

cotic flaremax

As others have said doesn’t feel heavy on the trail and climbs well for a bike of that weight

cyclelife
    Free Member

Are they so heavy so they don’t bend?

kelvin

No thread about a Cotic is complete without Cyclelife having his little dig.

stevehine

He’s just jealous 😉 Has he even owned one ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Flaremax – how heavy really?’ is closed to new replies.