• This topic has 55 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by v7fmp.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Commuter E-Bike – Give me some advice!
  • DrP

What p#s me off is that a single is £7, and a return is £7.50… And it’s only valid for the day.
    I wish it was “2 journeys for £7.50” as i’d do what you suggest, train one way, ride back…

DrP

ahsat

That is annoying! For me is £6.90 for a return or £4.50 for a single so not quite half, but still enough of a saving.

Daffy

My round trip commute is 36 miles and 1500ft of climbing. It takes about 1:45 in the winter and about 1:30-1:35 in the summer. That’s all paved, A, B road and cycle path along with about 15-20 sets of lights/junctions. Sweating IME is largely due to overdressing or dressing for the first 5km or battling the wind.

if you’re not chipping the e-bike, you’re not going to get much benefit from it if you’re looking to get it done in 45mins, You’ll likely have to pedal substantially to get the average speed up toward 30kph on the flat sections.

As others have said, i’d say either aim for longer or just ride a normal bike. Or chip it, if that’s something you’re happy with.

v7fmp

@ahsat – ok cool, i will do some digging. It will be around 7am, so no idea if the trains are busy at that time?! I will look into a flexible ticket, as its unlikely i will ride all 5 working days. I would hope at least 3 of the 5 tho.

@DrP
    – i know, it seems pretty expensive for what it is and not overly flexible….. but then i might be a bit out of touch with it all! 😀

ahsat

@v7fmp I am avoiding work (and have anxiety about my jab in an hours time so this is a good distraction) – looks like your Durrington to Bognor section you can take a bike at any time (it looks to be in Southern’s green zone) https://www.southernrailway.com/travel-information/on-board/bringing-a-bike

I’d think you’d be absolutely fine at 7 am (its not a line I know, but commuter lines tend to be busy between 0730-0830).

v7fmp

@ahsat – i was just on the website trying to look at the options… thanks for saving me a job! And they do seem to do a flexipass, which is 8 trips over a 28 day period, so twice a week, which could work well initially.

oh and dont worry about the jab, its all good!

ahsat

I think the downside of the 8 day pass is that it isn’t cost effective for 8 days of singles (certainly when I looked for me). But given DrP’s info about the difference between a single and return on that line, it might work out for you. I don’t think it was that cost effective for me.

Thanks. I’m fine with the idea of a vaccine, I just hate injections! Needs must!

v7fmp

Hmmm, yeah looks like the numbers dont add up….

8 x Single one way = £60
    8 x singles via Flexipass = £68.60
    Monthly ticket = £136

So the flexipass is only a saving if you travel both ways, which i wont.

Food for thought and something i can look into further.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

To throw another variable in: You don’t have to ride all the way.

I drive 12 miles then ride 8 miles (all on traffic free cyclepath). This fits well with what is sustainable, and allows me to drop the kids at childcare and pick them up in the evening.

fossy

I’d accept you won’t arrive sweat free. I just look at a bike and it’s sweat time – even a brisk walk.

I used to commute 5 days a week – 13-20 miles each way depending upon how I felt – got run over too many times – broken spine.

I was back doing two days a week from September on return to office doing 13 miles each way on the canal – did this in an hour on a 90’s MTB with panniers. This has gone up a little in the dark, but I’d never expect to ride any bike for more than a few minutes without a proper sweat, and an e-bike won’t do it.

Try the gravel bike kitted out with panniers, or at least start with a rucksack. Allow a little longer to travel if you don’t feel like a full on ride. Makes about 5-10 minutes difference taking it easy to pushing hard – that’s nothing compared to daily traffic delays.

argee

Sounds like a few choices, to be fair, when i used the ebike for commutes over a few days it saved the fatigue, so able to do more journeys, it’s just that 15.5mph limit and my mindset, like most, you have a cadence you stick too, and you want to go at a speed you’re comfortable with, and on flat or slight downs, it’s over that.

But, with the options you’re on about, the ebike looks like the most logical, honestly the thought of going back on the trains terrifies me, that first commuter train of the day, filled with the same folk, who have their same seats, who take up the bike bit with their crap every day, the delays, cancellations, cost and so on, i’d choose a slow ebike pootle every day, i’d rather change my riding style than get back on the commuting trains these days!

v7fmp

cheers @fossy & @argee, a bit more food for thought. As mentioned before, im pretty ignorant to rail travel, so have no idea on how busy the train would be at that time in the morning, plus as you say, delay, cancellations etc…. could be hell on earth!

And definitely a good point, the time difference between flat out and cruising probably isnt a massive amount over all.

I think some experimentation with what i currently have is required first and foremost, then see what works or doesnt and go from there.

Having said that…. N+1 😀 😛

intheborders
    Free Member

Based on you’re down on the South Coast (traffic, little frost/snow) I’d have thought a motorbike/scooter would be the most ‘efficient’ method, and probably the quickest & cheapest.

I use to have no problem covering 40-45 miles in a hour, even commuting when Buckinghamshire to Central London. How long does it take in the car?

v7fmp

@intheborders – the drive is about 30 minutes in the morning and about 35 on the way home.

Whilst a scooter would work, part of my plan is to reduce my carbon footprint. And i did ride one for a few weeks a while back and it wasnt something i overly enjoyed. So its either ride (one way or another) or just stick to my car.

I think if i get into the groove over spring/summer, i am hoping come the darker months it will be so ingrained in me, i wont question riding through winter.

intheborders
    Free Member

The drive is about 30 minutes in the morning and about 35 on the way home.

Hmm, 13 miles in 30 mins is 26 mph, and less coming back.

How long would it take you with no traffic whatsoever, so middle of the night?

v7fmp

sticking to the speed limits, about half that.

exceeding them would slice a couple more minutes off the time.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Commuter E-Bike – Give me some advice!’ is closed to new replies.