Home Forums Bike Forum Coast to coast Plymouth to Minehead

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Coast to coast Plymouth to Minehead
  • Steelsreal

looking to do this ride in the spring over a long weekend, but struggling to sort logistics out.

Need to leave my van in plymouth, cycle to minehead camping / pubs on route then get back to Plymouth via public transport or something. appears that the train to minehead is a steam one that does not link with a main line and the nearest station is taunton. When i did trans cambrian last year we got a mini bus to take us back to knighton. Anyone know of anything similare from minehead?

Del

Moses

The steam train station in Norton is only a couple of miles from the main line. Check out their services – you might be pleasantly surprised

Moses

or cycle to Barnstaple instead.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member
    snaps
    Free Member

If you get the steam train from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard its only a few miles downhill to Taunton & that puts you on the mainline to Exeter & Plymouth or you could ride across Exmoor to Barnstaple & get the train from here.
    What time of year are you doing it?

Burchy1
    Free Member

use the West Somerset Railway from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard and then just cycle the 5 miles between there are Taunton, then train back to Plymouth.

Did Plymouth to Exeter last summer, really good day out. I fancy doing Taunton to Barnstaple next across the Q’s and Exmoor.

Dibbs
    Free Member

If you do the the extension to the original Plymouth – Minehead Westcountry Way it goes from Minehead to Taunton via the Quantocks and takes you to Taunton railway station.
    Westcountry Way

Steelsreal

excellent, top tips chaps thanks for that. Probably doing it on the late may bank holiday if i can get everything sorted and me fit in time….

Dibbs
    Free Member

The last time I did it, we caught the train from Taunton to Plymouth, left Plymouth Hoe about midnight and arrived a Minehead seafront at eight in the evening.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Coast to coast Plymouth to Minehead’ is closed to new replies.