Home Forums Chat Forum Clocks going back

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Clocks going back
  • Drac

It could hardly be clearer:

Well it could as it says to make sure they don’t go below minimum wage. A 12 weeks average will make a tiny significant difference even if you account for that hour. If the employee is a contracted in for that shift then yes that would be different.

nedrapier

If you cut three inches off the bottom edge of a towel and sew it back onto the top, the towel hasn’t shrunk or grown.

Well it has, you’ve lost a bit of length due to the overlap.  You’ve spent time and effort doing something pointless and ended up with a slightly worse, more annoying towel as a result. And now you have to explain to everyone why you did it.

Not a bad analogy.

Cougar2
    Free Member

You mean to tell me that in 2024 sophisticated computer systems can’t be programmed to take into account clocks being changed by an hour twice a year?

I wonder if perhaps “lots of computer things would have gone splat” actually means “management believes that lots of computer things would have gone splat”? It sounds like the sort of thing “we’ve always done” despite no-one testing it since the 1990s.

zomg

I don’t know why some people complain when the unnecessary seam on the towel irritates them yet again. They should be used to it by now. Annoying.

molgrips
    Free Member

You mean to tell me that in 2024 sophisticated computer systems can’t be programmed to take into account clocks being changed by an hour twice a year?

They can, for sure, but not all the computer systems we’re using are sophisticated nor were they all programmed in 2024 🙂

IHN

I wonder if perhaps “lots of computer things would have gone splat” actually means “management believes that lots of computer things would have gone splat”? It sounds like the sort of thing “we’ve always done” despite no-one testing it since the 1990s.

Maybe, more fairly “techies who’ve worked on the stuff for years have a very strong suspicion that it will go splat” is more accurate, but the effort to test every single element would be enormous, and it’s simpler to err on the side of caution and turn it all off.

They can, for sure, but not all the computer systems we’re using are sophisticated nor were they all programmed in 2024

Indeed, legacy IT is, er, ‘complicated’

nickc

Time changes rules

Lap top, smart watches phones: Do themselves, nothing to do here

Wall clocks: minor panic when you realise you’re up too early/late for work, do them all…

Car clock: Who knows what sub menu its on, stays on either GMT or BST and is right for some of the time…

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.