Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Chris Akrigg – Not IF but WHEN
  • Stu

Lucky boy all things considered! Get well soon Chris!

[video]http://vimeo.com/24606775[/video]

mintimperial

Ouch. Get well soon indeed! Quite hard to watch, that, could’ve been much worse: those are some big old rocks near where he landed.

rOcKeTdOg

i don’t think i’d be talking to the camera with a broken femur, pro to the bitter end Mr Akrigg GWS

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

Ouch. But yes, it was innevitable at some point. Very lucky!

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

Yaldy that’s goona sting!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Affy’s back racing wc at for bill a year after breaking his neck (C1 and C2) and being in a halo (brace screwed into his skull) for 5 months.GOOOOOO ON DAN!!!!

Gary_C

Ow!! So philosophical about it too. Get well soon fella.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

nice to know i’m not the only great bike handler with their arm in plaster,. . . . welcome fella.

Hairychested
    Free Member

What a naughty boy! Playing near the cliff, tut tut tut…
    Get well soon, more RIDING videos please!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Jeesus H…

How in the name of f… did he manage to get away with **ONLY** a broken arm and a broken leg.

Heal quick!

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

I like Chris, all his bids make me want to play on a bike…. Apart from maybe this one!

philfive
    Free Member

was it at Lee Quarry?

montylikesbeer

nah looks like calderdale, maybe up around gorple but not sure, just glad the lad is OK

Edit: it was Earl Crag, a large grit stone outcrop near Cowling, Keighley.

vondally
    Free Member

respect on so many levels….get well soon, a true cycling legend.

is it not silsden way

steve_b77
    Free Member

Lying on the ground with enough about him to say that it’s gonna be a long time off, gotta give him respect for that.

Klunk
    Free Member

lets just hope no one who needed it was inconvenienced by not having access to the air ambulance.

Underhill
    Free Member

^ Tool ^

So you’re suggesting he should have been left there & see if he could make it down unaided?

Lifer
    Free Member

One of my favourite riders, such a laid back guy as well. Get well soon!

+1 on Affy as well, looking forward to him racing DH only this year

retro83
    Free Member

Lifer – Member

One of my favourite riders, such a laid back guy as well. Get well soon!
    Same here, love the vids. Always get me in the mood to go out on the bike.

Underhill – Member

^ Tool ^

+1 🙄

Lifer
    Free Member

+2

gus
    Free Member

Klunk

Have you ever been to A&E most of the people are in there due to something they could of avoided if they sat at home and watched TV.
    The rest of them have suffered a heart attack because they have been sat at home watching TV all there life!

Klunk
    Free Member

^ Tool ^

So you’re suggesting he should have been left there & see if he could make it down unaided?

no I’m suggesting doing something that dangerous he makes his own safety arrangements before hand. Do you think they leave it to chance on one of those redbull events ?

Lifer
    Free Member

Redbull event is slightly different to filming a vid with a mate.

Klunk
    Free Member

Have you ever been to A&E most of the people are in there due to something they could of avoided if they sat at home and watched TV.
    The rest of them have suffered a heart attack because they have been sat at home watching TV all there life!

does that include strokes, farm accident and rta’s ?

Klunk
    Free Member

Redbull event is slightly different to filming a vid with a mate.

advertising promo more like.

john

Quick thought – wonder how many people will watch that video and think about making a donation to a mountain rescue team or air ambulance? Could be quite effective fundraising.

gus
    Free Member

I’l give you strokes, but Farming and driving cars are dangrous things to do.

Klunk
    Free Member

I’l give you strokes, but Farming and driving cars are dangrous things to do.

not all rta’s involve just drivers.

gus
    Free Member

Would not be suprised if Chris Akrigg is think of doing some fund raising himself.

Klunk
    Free Member

and how does hoping that no one else is disadvantaged by this completely avoidable incident translate to “oh just leave him there?”.

gus
    Free Member

‘not all rta’s involve just drivers’

ok getting out of bed is dangrous.

What I’m getting at is if Chris Akrigg needs to organise his own safety plans, what about the average mountain biker? I know we might not all be gap jumping on top of a cliff, but we do ride bikes in remote areas and could call on an air ambulance.

ianv
    Free Member

lets just hope no one who needed it was inconvenienced by not having access to the air ambulance

and the prize for sanctimonious a__hole of the day goes to……….

Underhill
    Free Member

Fair enough, we have to take some measure of responsibility for our own actions. What measures do you take when out on the bike? Or crossing the road?

I’d suggest that mostly we don’t expect the consequences of something going so spectacularly wrong and so we don’t make provision for the worst case scenario. Fortunately there are services staffed by some great people who are willing to help us at those times.

Happily, those who receive their attention rarely forget who looked after them and so the love spreads around

MentalMickey
    Free Member

I like that little manoeuvre @ 1:46 where he pops a little endo then ride down that steep bit on the front wheel only, I’m gonna learn that, oh yes I am. 8)

spacehopper

if it had been a climber on the same crag whose rope may or may not have snapped?

should they have organised their own private ambulance and rescue team on site ‘just in case’ ?

should these guys have had their own rescue and medical team on standby too?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-13640925

this is what the air ambulance is for…

theres always a risk someone else will need it when its on a shout..
    and why they have magical inventions called radios so they can speak to each other… and divert to more serious emergencies if need be..

🙄

Heal quickly Chris.. you are an inspiration..!

Klunk
    Free Member

i do like these crossing the road and mountaineering analogies.

crossing the road, blind chicken on M1 would be closer, being flatten by a juggernaut at the second attempt after being bounced of the bonnet of a jag first time.

mountaineering. yes but climbing on a rope knitted by your gran having it snap once but hey lets see if it will hold this time.

spacehopper

climbing on a rope knitted by your gran having it snap once but hey lets see if it will hold this time.

his bike was capable of the jump… he slipped and didnt get quite enough speed..

a better analogy would be having a climbing rope somehow get accidentaly damaged.. rather than your ridiculous rope knitted by gran idea.. would a climber use a rope like that? no.

theres an element of risk in everything we do… people have entirely avoidable accidents everyday.
    thats why we have setup these quite frankly amazing emergency services to help us out when something doesnt go quite according to plan.

Klunk
    Free Member

would a climber use a rope that had already snapped once if he didn’t need too ?

MentalMickey
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-13640925

That photo idea is excellent, must remember that one if I ever need to. 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Klunks house.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Chris Akrigg – Not IF but WHEN’ is closed to new replies.