Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Chris Akrigg – Not IF but WHEN
  • MentalMickey
    Free Member

^^^ The image hasn’t appeared, did I ever show you my trailer park trash trailer? 🙂

spacehopper

would a climber use a rope that had already snapped once if he didn’t need too ?

his bike didnt break.

would a climber carry on up the rock if they missed a hand hold.. slipped.. and fell a few feet and didnt really hurt themselves?

I tire of this now. you sir. are a troll.

*wanders off*

alpin
    Free Member

there is probably no better place to injure yourself than in the UK. none of that cost him anything. had that happened elsewhere he’d have a massive bill to foot.

the UK is brilliant!

and i’m sure he’ll give a few ££s to the Air Ambulance and the mountain rescue after this. if he doesn’t then he should.

and his videos are some of the best. i think he’s probably one of the most rounded riders out there.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Spirit of adventure = taking risks for glory alone – hurrah!

So he found his limit. Good for him.

neilc1881
    Free Member

What rubbish. I broke my femur falling 40ft from a route I was trying to put up in Mid-Wales. I was trying something a bit daft (it would have been a first ascent), on the very edge of what I was capable of at the time, and it went wrong.
    For some people hill-walking up Pen y Fan is on the limit of their capabilities, for others it’s climbing E5, some push their luck on E8 onsights. And it’s the same in biking, some ride trail centres at 10mph, others at World Cup DH at 25, for each person their speed/technical difficulties are irrelevant, it is whatever they have experience and skill to cope with. People will only push their luck so far, idiots may push further, but I don’t think Chris Akrigg falls into that category. A very talented rider, tring something many of us wouldn’t dream of attempting. But then an ‘everyday’ gap jump for him is still well beyond us. He’s a great rider who ‘lucked out’. It’s what the Air Ambulance/Mountain Rescue is there for.

graham1975
    Free Member

Klunk, do you relise what a prick you sound!!!
    Do you really believe Chris thought oh well atleast if i fall off this cliff the air ambulance will come and get me!!! Keep your stupid pathetic thoughts to yourself!
    P.S ropes don’t just snap by the way, well toe ropes might but 8mm plus…. Ropes don’t just snap, they will lift a car.
    I used to be in Calder valley Mountain Rescue team, and believe me if it was’nt for the whole team including the air ambulance alot of not so serious injuries would end up being alot worse if left to the normal ambulance service. Nobody goes out climbing / walking / ridding with the intention of doing serious damage to them selves whilst out, its just unfortunate, what anoys me more is asians and people that has never worked a day in there life in the A&E departments taking up valuble time and resources just because its FREE.
    I bet Chris has paid his taxes since he left school,so why the hell should he be blasted for needing NHS help!?

godzilla
    Free Member

Good vid but he he’s gone down in my estimation, only because gassers are crap.
    Akrigg is a super cool down to earth working class hero.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Hey Klunk, are you a mountainbiker? I just ask because I am and I don’t set out on any ride thinking about which bit of me I might break, although I have broken several bits over the years. You’ve got to remember that the air ambulance and mountain rescue teams are both voluntary charitable organisations and my experience of them is that this is what they do and when needed respond to those in greatest need irrespective of preparedness or ability and thank flip for that. Big respect to them and also to Mr. Ackrigg who is an inspiration to us mere mortals.

billysugger
    Free Member

I’m proud to be from the same area as Chris. He’s a tough nut. He knew the score as soon as he’d done it, long road.

Lifer
    Free Member

Cards at the ready…

what anoys me more is asians and people that has never worked a day in there life in the A&E departments taking up valuble time and resources just because its FREE.

HOUSE!

jonrambo
    Free Member

Graham, i iz asian an i work driving people round! U haz really upset me now! I think u needs banning for a while to think about your rasist comments! 🙄

timmys

graham1975 – Member
    …what anoys me more is asians and people that has never worked a day in there life in the A&E departments taking up valuble time and resources just because its FREE.

Please do the world a favour and kill yourself.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

That’s got to be an iPhone typo error surely?

hugor
    Free Member

It was very brave to keep recording after the injury.
    He held it together better than I would have.
    Get well soon mate.

Do you guys carry around the details of the local mountain rescue team on your phones?
    How do you find and contact them in situations like this?

ianv
    Free Member

How do you find and contact them in situations like this?

Ring 999 and someone will do it for you, alternatively you can wave down the hill at your personal emergency back up squad that now appears mandatory 🙄

Klunk
    Free Member

oh i do like this, where did i say he shouldn’t have access to the services ? I made the point that when you act like a tit, and take unwarranted and unnecessary risk it may not be just yourself you are putting at a disadvantage.

Coyote
    Free Member

OK Klunk, I’ll bite.

Can we assume that when you ride offroad (presuming that you do, this being a MTB forum and all that) you stick to around 10-12mph on fireroads whilst fully armoured up?

Lets muse on the following situation. You are enjoying a swoopy, downhill singletrack run. Your speed it on the edge of your comfort zone. Suddenly your front wheel washes out and you crash. You crack your knee, you are walking nowhere. Have you made arrangments to get yourself out of that situation or would it be fair to expect the emergency services to rescue you? If you had stuck to 10mph on the nice wide fireroads, this hypothetical situation wouldn’t have happened, would it?

Klunk
    Free Member

because that’s just like a gap jump above a 60ft drop (twice).

IMO what Chris is doing there, for a promotional video, is no different to a kid playing chicken with an express train and being filmed by his mates. Any incident will have consequences for someone else.

Coyote
    Free Member

Bad analogy.

Chris is riding at the edge of his limits which are a little wider than for most of us. The presence of a camera is not the governing issue here.

Have you seen the stuff that the likes of Simmons and Shandro do on the North Shore of Canada? You think that they don’t do that when the cameras are not running? People are pushing the limits of MTBing. Comparing that to some dumb kid staring down a train is frankly stupid.

Klunk
    Free Member

I’m sure he practices that jump there all the time. But I guess doing 6 inches above the ground in your back garden doesn’t get the same amount of youtube hits.

Comparing that to some dumb kid staring down a train is frankly stupid.

I don’t see the difference, and proof of the pudding is in the eating.

ton

get well soon chris……….inspirational rider, even to old duffers like me.

Woody
    Free Member

You can always rely on one or two complete ****ts on every thread.

Great vid and huge respect to the man – he must have been in agony and still able to talk to the camera.

BTW thats what mountain rescue and air ambulance are there for ……………….-

………………………..TO RESCUE PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD ACCIDENTS

Klunk
    Free Member

again where did I ever say he shouldn’t have be rescued ?

Coyote
    Free Member

You didn’t but you did suggest that he shouldn’t be there in the first place.

Anyway, get well soon Chris. You are your kind to more to develop and explore the possiblities of MTB’ing than keyboard trolls ever will. Look forward to hearing of your full recovery!

Woody
    Free Member

Nowhere but…………

lets just hope no one who needed it was inconvenienced by not having access to the air ambulance.

People don’t ‘have access’ to the air ambulance, it is there for exactly this type of event 🙄

MartynS

ets just hope no one who needed it was inconvenienced by not having access to the air ambulance.

I’m fairly certain that if a higher priority job had come in they would have gone to deal with that.

I think it was asked what precautions had been put in place in case he had an accident.. Even if a fully qualified medical team had been on site they would have called the Air Ambulance out.

However I hope these vids Chris makes are non profit, non commercial, otherwise the Health and safety lot may start sniffing around. Accident in the work place Sir.. can i see your risk assesment??

Hope Chris is on the mend though, He is a lucky boy!

ratadog

Even if a fully qualified medical team had been on site they would have called the Air Ambulance out.

I entirely agree. I have done a fair bit of prehospital care work, mainly pulling people out of badly parked rally cars, and still respond locally for the ambulance service and therefore meet the Yorkshire Air Ambulance on scene every so often. In these circumstances I would be mobilising YAA as soon as I had checked that the casualty was still breathing. And for the record I would have had no issues about responding to that call and the idea that my time might have been better spent would never have crossed my mind.

proteus
    Free Member

Just a guess, but I reckon Ambulance Control will route the chopper appropriately. Perhaps in future they should phone Klunk and ask him/her who is most deserving?

Speaking of choppers – has Graham1975 been banned yet? Nasty little racist.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Good luck with the recovery Chris. Taht looks unpleasant.

Never found his riding style very smooth though, danny seems much smoother and more natural?

Lifer
    Free Member

I prefer Akrigg myself, the way he attacks stuff is so good to watch.

ratadog

Just a guess, but I reckon Ambulance Control will route the chopper appropriately.

IIRC Ambulance Control make the request for support, but YAA monitor what is going on and obviously make decisions on priority of different requests and between them they can mobilise a second heli/neighbouring Air Ambulance/SAR heli as needed so capacity really shouldn’t be an issue unless the shit has hit the fan in a major way.

radar
    Free Member

A couple of points of interest:

Some air ambulance services are contracted to provide a service for the ambulance service – in other words they get paid to provide the service (as well as fundraising).

To call out a mountain rescue team you need to call 999 and request “Police – Mountain Rescue”; not all 99 operators know this, they may route your call to ambulance control who will send an ambulance, who will arrive on scene then request MR backup. This could add an extra hour to MR turning up. A member of CID will be on call as the MR liason officer; once you have spoken to them they will call an area duty controller (a very experienced member of a team) who will then decide which team(s) will need to come to your assistance. After you’ve made your call – stay put unless you HAVE to return to the casualty. Phone signals are erratic to say the least in the hills. MR may well want to talk to you – to check what has happened and also to work out if you are where you say you are. Don’t forget good grid references 6 figs at least; if you can’t give one describe what you can see, where you have been – all these clues will help MR find you quickly.

radar
    Free Member

How are air ambulances tasked? Ambulance control will dispatch helimeds. MR teams can request helimeds directly from ambulance control. They do prioritise jobs using a triage type scale – an old lady with a broken femur will take precedence over fit healthy biker who has taken a tumble and broken their wrist in the middle of the moors for example.

RAF/RN/Coastguard helicopters are dispatched via SAR ops room in Scotland and can be requested by MR (via Police HQ) or ambulance control, these requests are then sent up to Scotland…

jackal
    Free Member

Well that looked worse than I thought it would, quite sickening really.

Whilst we’re on the subject of the yorkshire air ambulance, I myself was picked up by them after crashing into a tree up holmfirth and breaking my spine 🙄 .
    They provide an amazing service and I will always be grateful that we have something like that available to us should it all go wrong.

So please if anyone feels like making a donation to them, no matter how small then please do. There’s lots of ways of doing it, from playing their lottery to purchasing something from the shop to regular donations.

YAA

Sorry if that sounds like a plea off comic relief 😆 but its something that is important to me.

😀

bigjim

OUch! I’ll have nightmares now. Get well soon Mr Akrigg!

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Chris Akrigg – Not IF but WHEN’ is closed to new replies.