Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Cheap flat barred commuter? oh yes.
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Further to this thread –

Voodoo Marasa?

This landed today. £340 delivered with the summer15 discount code for july, 12.1 Kg for an XL isn’t bad (and that’s with stock pedls fitted), it’s extremely well finished, paint looks spot on, very happy with it.

Mounts for mudguards, none for panniers though. Loads of tyre clearance, reckon I’ll get a 40c in there no probs.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gL8BCn]Stitch[/url] by nobeerinthefridge, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gL9nF8]Stitch[/url] by nobeerinthefridge, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gL8Br5]Stitch[/url] by nobeerinthefridge, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gL9nEX]Stitch[/url] by nobeerinthefridge, on Flickr

willard

Looks nice! Shame about pannier mounts, but the mudguards will be handy for you. You going to go for Raceblades?

cp

Looks nice… what is it?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s a Calibre Stitch cp.

Willard, I have Raceblade XL on the commuter that’ll get swapped over.

External BB too, forgot that.

benp1

Looks decent

You could get a rack that mounts on the rear axle

I commute into London and two things strike me
    – most commuters use a rucksack if they’re carrying a bag
    – most (i.e more than half) commuters run very average bikes – from pretty shonky and BSO to cheapish SS and old road bike

That looks great as a commuter

simondbarnes

You’ve left some of the packaging attached

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ben, I use a backpack too tbh, but Mrs Nobeer is really getting into longer distances these days, and I can see some touring on the horizon.

You’ve left some of the packaging attached

Aye, noticed that when I lifted it up onto the scales!

funkmasterp

That’s a nice looking little runabout

ton

you should have asked mate
    I have one of these in XL to shift. ridden for a month £200

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-sl-road-bike-2019/rp-prod181784

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Get that on ebay Tony, you’ll get more than that, nice.

trumpton
    Free Member

Looks great. Calibre have some great bikes.

binners

That looks bargain-tastic

I… DO…NOT…NEED…ANOTHER…BIKE

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Get it bought Binners lad! 🤣

curto80
    Free Member

I considered this when I was looking a month ago. Wanted something I could ride on the SDW on a Sunday afternoon and over Waterloo bridge on a Monday morning.

Went with the Boardman hybrid because I wanted a 1x. But it cost double what you paid. Your photos make it look sexier than on the GO website damn you!

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks very nice!

Re: pannier rack, P-clips are your friend there.

What are the holes in the side of the chain stay for?

matt_outandabout

Must resist. Must resist.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Haven’t a clue mate, mibbe a disc mount?.

Managed a wee 8 mile blast on it tonight, very pleased, it’s quick, brakes seem great – diffetent league from the cable spyres I’m used to.

I cannot ever see me buying a drop barred bike again.

singlespeedstu

Is that a gravel bike?😜

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Looks better in these photos than on the Go Outdoors site!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Behave Stu! 🤣

Goaty, it’s far nicer in the flesh, thanks so much for pointing me towards it!.

fasthaggis

Is that a gravel bike?

🙂 🙂 🙂

spot
    Free Member

Kickstand mount?

shermer75
    Free Member

kickstand mount

shermer75
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ideal, I’ll get me one of those, particularly useful with loaded panniers I’d imagine.

Still can’t believe this bike was that price btw.

nbt

Mounts for mudguards, none for panniers though.

Pannier then guard on the same bolt at the axle ened, pair of p-clips at the top of the seat-stays. Sorted. Looks very nice indeed that does, ideal commuter bike

trumpton
    Free Member

is that a carbon fork on it?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Na, alloy trumpton.

shermer75
    Free Member

I keep coming back to this page. Such a shame I already have a perfectly adequate commuter!

TiRed

Swap the seatpost clamp for an M-part with mounting eyelets and you have your rack mounts. Mudguards and rack on same rear eyelets are fine. Done this on my Paddy wagon.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.M-Part-Seat-Clamp-Mount_34111.htm?sku=79197&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw-ITqBRB7EiwAZ1c5U0JvD0wa6HsPClIqxyo887ELVRlSIKQ5CucURa7wef-OBl9k_fXuwBoCs2MQAvD_BwE

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good shout TiRed, cheers.

First commute today, any qualms about it being a bit slower were dispelled. I’m always fairly happy to go sub 30 mins for my 8.5 miles commute, even had a bit of a headwind this morning and still managed.

Hydro shimano brakes are light years ahead of my old TRP spyre cables as well.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Given the naturally less aero riding position on a hybrid or MTB, I do wonder if the gearing on the Stitch is rather optimistic, 34/50 chainrings and what looks like an 11-34 cassette.

I’ll spin out my highest gear (38/11) on the way to work on the Wazoo (with 28mm tyres fitted) down a ~0.5 mile ~5% hill unless there’s a prevailing headwind, but on the flat I’ll typically be in 38/17 or 38/15, while on the way home I’ll tackle a short ~5% and ~8% incline in either 38/17 or 24/17.

Think I’d have shiny 11/12/13 sprockets and a barely used 50T ring after months of commute use… Unless I fitted TT bars! 😈

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Absolutely, my thoughts exactly!. I’ll be getting a 44 or thereabouts, keep the 34 for touring type rides. My commute is very flat, and apart from the odd tight bend or road junction, I spent it all in 34/11, albeit with a higher cadence than I’d normally do, but knowing that going up into the 50 would mean being away up the top of the block and probably a shite chainline.

Bez

But the nearest equivalent gear in the 50 would be the 16, which isn’t that far up the block, and you said you were spinning faster than normal so if you used your normal cadence you’d be on a smaller sprocket still…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ll reserve judgement til I’ve spent a bit more time on it, gonna go the long hilly way home, and I’ll see. Certainly feels as if I ran out of gears on the wee ring fairly easily, but the 50 is a big lump.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

1x may be a shout, I’m never gonna be gunning for speed on this thing, Just need enough to suit riding Arran hills with the wife, and also enough for a reasonable paced commute.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

I’m actually really tempted to get one of these as I’ve been considering getting a hybrid commuter type thing for a month or so already…

Basically a road bike that isn’t afraid of curbs, sold!

I’d probably want to convert it to 1x with a wider ratio cassette, what would be my options for that on a bike like this as I’m only really familiar with MTB components.

EDIT: Dammit, 1 day late with the discount code…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bit better test run on the way home, went the longer way, 25 miles instead of the usual 8.5.

Aye, I think the gearing will work, the 50 isn’t too big, and 34 works great on the hills.

Once again quite taken with the speed of this thing.

patagonian
    Free Member

Reading this thread has pushed me into finally replacing my commuter (converted 26″ mtb) for a hybrid so a big thank you to Nobeerinthefridge!
    Went for a claude butler quest as I wanted 1×10 – looking forward to collecting it tomorrow.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Cheap flat barred commuter? oh yes.’ is closed to new replies.