Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 571 total)
  • Casual racists
  • v8ninety

v8ninety. i am sorry if using that might have upset you, i wont do it again.

using chinky if you didnt know it offends people does not make you a racist, of course not.

using it after someone pointed out that some people are offended makes you a defacto racist.

It didn’t upset me, I was just making a simple point. (I’m fairly hard to upset, but being called a monobrowed casual racist of low education has come close). Well that’s a relief Porter_Jamie, I didn’t realise that I wasn’t a racist until you said so. 😉 As I have previously said on this thread;

v8ninety – Member
    I shall probably stop using the word ‘chinky’ to describe a Chinese takeaway. I probably didn’t use it that much anyway (and never to describe a person; that wouldn’t even have occurred to me) and when I did it would have been as a pure abbreviation in the same way as I’d abbreviate McDonalds to ‘Maccys’ every now and then. That it could cause racial offence to do this genuinely hadn’t even occurred to me. That said, I’m happy to bin it and move on, on the evidence of this thread.

Should we have been offended?

YES!
    NO!
    MAYBE!
    Actually, I think that it’s up to you…

I’ve got a Northern Irish mate that gets offended if you DON’T call him Paddy, figure that one out…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Everyone knows racists come from all races, I wouldn’t worry about that.

piemonster

“either the black guy or the ginger one”.

The other guy, it’s up to him.

You, No. You have yet to achieve the right to be offended. Now close the curtains, it’s sunny and you’ll get burnt

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’ve got a Northern Irish mate that gets offended if you DON’T call him Paddy, figure that one out…

He’s proud of being what he is and wants everyone to know that he embraces a little bit of banter.

Or that he’s not affected by childish insults (where intended)

Good on him.

v8ninety

Just to clarify piemonster… tell me which guy has the right to be offended? 😉

porter_jamie

v8ninety – HTH 🙂

ps, i re read what you posted and i misread what you were on about, so sorry about that too.

v8ninety

No problem. Giz a hug gorgeous. 😛

Drac

Well why I admitted to using the term chinkies for Chinese food I can say one thing I am not is racist, sorry to disappoint and break stereotyping of someone who uses the word but it’s the truth. I’ll admit it never occurred to me that it could be offensive when talking about food and as I say I may stop using it but how likely that is I can’t be sure. I am still not a racist though.

v8ninety

I’ll admit it never occurred to me that it could be offensive when talking about food and as I say I may stop using it but how likely that is I can’t be sure.

I suppose it very much depends on the company you are in at the time, now that you know that it could cause offense. In a family environment, where everyone has used the word for years without any malicious intent, I guess its no harm no foul. But in any sort of public arena, armed with the knowledge that it might offend, its best avoided, it seems.

I’m just stopping saying it, its easier!

nealglover
    Free Member

Chink (also chinki, chinky, chinkie) is an English ethnic slur referring mainly to a person of Chinese ethnicity but sometimes generalized to refer to any person of East Asian descent. Use of the term is broadly considered offensive and has garnered a great deal of media attention.

That’s from the Wiki page for “Chink”

when used as the name of a type of restaurant or meal, rather than as an adjective applied to a person or group of people, the word carries no racist connotation.

And that’s from the Wiki page for “Chinky”

Both selective quotes obviously as cutting and pasting the whole article would be daft.

v8ninety

That there wiki article about ‘chinky’ as in food, is quite interesting and pretty much sums up this whole thread, a damn sight more succinctly than we have!

grum
    Free Member

It didn’t upset me, I was just making a simple daft point.

FTFY.

Why do you feel the need to feign confusion – pretty obvious that if neither of you are bothered by being called black or ginger then there is no issue. If you were then there is an issue. Pretty simple really.

Cougar

using chinky if you didnt know it offends people does not make you a racist, of course not.

using it after someone pointed out that some people are offended makes you a defacto racist.

Well, no, it doesn’t. It means that you’re choosing ignore the fact that someone else finds your turn of phrase offensive. There are many reasons why you might choose do this, “because you’re a racist” is a possibility but it is most certainly not a “de facto” conclusion.

Whilst it’s not a term I particularly like, as I’ve said before, it’s a huge old leap from “using a word someone else doesn’t approve of” to actually being racist. Being insensitive is not the same as being racist. I use the c-word occasionally, it doesn’t make me a misogynist.

And anyroad. If you were racist, you wouldn’t be eating that foreign muck in the first place.

McHamish
    Free Member

And that’s from the Wiki page

Not sure that Wikipedia is evidence of anything…was the last person who edited a member of the BNP? Probably not…possibly…don’t know.

How does it prove that the term isn’t offensive or racist?

Personally if you know that some people of a certain ethnicity would be offended if you used a term to describe a retail outlet of the same ethnicity. You can either continue to use it or not…your approach tells people different things;

A) You’re a racist or a moron, or both.
    B) You’re neither and have learned the error of your ways.

It’s your choice. Drac for example has made it clear what his choice would be, so other people can decide which of the options in A) applies to him. I suspect that a Chinese person would probably just assume he’s racist, he appears to be ok with that but would like everyone to know on the forum that he isn’t a racist.

v8ninety

“It didn’t upset me, I was just making a simple daft point.”

FTFY.

Go on then. I’ll bite. why do you think that it’s daft? I though it was quite a neat little point.

v8ninety

Not sure that Wikipedia is evidence of anything…was the last person who edited a member of the BNP? Probably not…possibly…don’t know.

Remembering back to my GCSE history*, it would be secondary evidence, and the references that it refers to would be both primary and secondary evidence themselves. I think that makes it worthy of note, at least.

*It was a while ago and I’m happy to be corrected…

druidh
    Free Member

I wasn’t aware that ginger was a race any more than blonde or brunette and as Ive already pointed out there seems to be nothing wrong with using black either.

v8ninety

Ive already pointed out there seems to be nothing wrong with using black either.

But what if someone tells you that they find it offensive? (examples of which are available earlier in the thread) Should you stop using the term forevermore for risk of being branded a moron, or worse, a monobrowed casual racist?

FWIW, I completely agree with you.

Drac

. I suspect that a Chinese person would probably just assume he’s racist

In my experience they haven’t but this thread has pointed out that others may find it offensive and even seem me as a racist others even of none oriental origin think I am, although I suspect some are just stirring. I’m not really Ok with it as I’m certainly not racist but people have pointed out that I may appear to be if I’d continued to use it. However, like bad taste jokes, swearing and other inappropriate behaviour which we’re all guilty of at times it’s about choosing when to do it so not to offend others. To me that’s the difference, to me a racist wouldn’t care when they acted inappropriately.

druidh
    Free Member

Do they completely boycott the Music Of Black Origin awards and all the artists that support it – or is that OK because the word has been abbreviated? Should we therefore just call black people B’s. I’m sure that would go down well.

klumpy
    Free Member

If I went oop north and heard someone use the word in question in the manner described, I’d be a bit shocked. Then a combination of no racist behaviour and everyone else oop north using the same term would lead me to think “that’s not a racist word up here”. And if I suggested going to the chippy instead, and they all looked at me aghast and attacked me for using a vile slur term for Christians (Jesus being a carpenter n’ all) I’d be upset, more than a bit defensive, but stop using the word.

(Until I got back home.)

igrf
    Free Member

all i know is when i was a kid and i was pinned down and had the crap beaten out of me by some kids chanting chinky bastard, i wasn’t keen.

So would you have been any less keen if they just called you an ugly bastard?

This whole degradation of the term racist and it’s use to describe petty rudeness and name calling is what is at issue here.
    Racist is the word used to describe Hitler and it’s application not only to an actual race, it was also a religious group that he attempted to wipe out. So describing a name caller in the same vein is a tad overkill.

Racism isn’t always to do with skin colour and imv it is part of the human condition as a part of human tribalism upon which the very basis of society is formed.

Rudeness is what is at issue here, it is no different to what some of you football fanbois call supporters of other teams if you pursue the logic of it.

We don’t use the term Chinky down in this part of the world so it’s obviously a more regional slang term, but it’s no different to Taffy, or Jock, or Paddy or Pikey or Ginga. Or Lofty for tall people or tich for short folk, or bender and queer for gay folk, they are all offensive terms if the offended choose to take offence and they are all in daily use by lots of people with no serious offensive intent.

There’s a case in the news today of some woman on a reality TV show referring probably quite innocently to one of the other contestants who she happened to admire, as thinking it was a monkey coming from the jungle, it’s not clear from the pictures wether or not the guy she was referring to was black or mixed race, but she probably didn’t for the first minute mean it in that context but she is now in the middle of a ‘race’ row for the benefit of the media and the twitterati and professionally offended.

That is the danger of all this, being rude is not the same as wiping out an entire race, there needs to be moderation in the descriptive use of the term racist and racism, casual or otherwise. If there were a greater desire for folk not to be just plain rude, or a realisation in certain terms that rudeness for ironic effect is/was part and parcel of British culture, then maybe we’d all feel less discomfort about the application of ‘political correctness’.

davidjones15
    Free Member

they are all offensive terms if the offended choose to take offence and they are all in daily use by lots of people with no serious offensive intent.

Of all the stupid things I’ve seen here. It’s all the victim’s fault, is it?
    It’s a good job not all cocks think the same as this.

igrf
    Free Member

davidjones15 – Member
    they are all offensive terms if the offended choose to take offence and they are all in daily use by lots of people with no serious offensive intent.

Of all the stupid things I’ve seen here. It’s all the victim’s fault, is it?
    It’s a good job not all cocks think the same as this.

Yes if you choose to be a victim, just as I choose not to be offended by your assertion that I’m a ‘cock’ and will not report your post for so doing, the key to this is wether the use of whatever word you choose to insert was meant to be offensive. My point being that clearly oop north folk regularly use the word go for a chinky instead of say going for a chinese as we tend to down here, it doesn’t make them racists, casual or otherwise.

druidh
    Free Member

igrf – in general terms I think you are correct. However, some words simply become associated with racist behaviour and so go out of use. If those that are a bit more sensitive do a little bit to promote this, it can’t be a bad thing. For instance, if you moved to a village somewhre and found them using the word ****, would you still think that was OK or has that one become so obviously wrong that you’d expect everyone to know about it by now?

davidjones15
    Free Member

Why do you think you can decide who is or isn’t a victim? Where’s the limit? How do you decide?
    I thought we left this kind of attitude back in the last century.

My point being that clearly oop north folk regularly use the word go for a chinky instead of say going for a chinese as we tend to down here, it doesn’t make them racists, casual or otherwise.

Is it OK simply because a large proportion of the community use it?
    Yes, it does make them racists.
    I love these threads.

McHamish
    Free Member

Look…certain people are obviously ok with the risk of being labelled as racist. Lets just close this thread an move on.

To help here’s a link that will replicate what will happen if this thread isn’t closed.

Round in Circles…

v8ninety

Chuckling at the irony of calling someone a cock on a thread pretty much specifically about derogatory name calling…

I think this thread is done now. Pity, it was fun

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Who are you Nukeproofing? You rocked up a couple of weeks ago and have since been prolific. Banned and a new login?

In all honesty, I couldn’t care less about your opinion, nor your view that I’m too much of a noob to post anything.

Could I have made it any clearer that that comment was – get this – a joke.
    I’d hardly call me posting an observation about school kids misbehaving abroad ‘xenophobia’. How dull are you man? Lighten up seriously. Or attack the OP of that thread – he must be xenophobic too. I grew up in Portsmouth, surrounded by ‘french’ jokes – have you ever been to a pub in calais? They tell jokes about Portsmouth. It’s not a point of grievance, it’s just for a laugh.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Chuckling at the irony of calling someone a cock on a tread pretty much specifically about derogatory name calling…

Cock is a term of endearment in this part of the world.
    “Are you alright, cock?” Will often be heard.
    Or perhaps it was to prove a point, only Mr Fuller knows his true reaction.
    Or perhaps no-one was actually being called a cock directly.
    I’ll let you choose. 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    I’m not sure “riff-raff” is a race, you know.

It’s not a race i’ve heard of, imagine the 110m hurdles would be funny to watch tho.

v8ninety

Cock is a term of endearment in this part of the world.

Uhuh, but it’s pretty clear from the context that that wasn’t how you meant it, was it?

Making it a whole level more offensive than the use of chinky to innocently describe a Chinese takeaway, IMHO.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

rac·ism
    [rey-siz-uh?m]
    noun
    a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one’s own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
    a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
    hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

If the word being used has any of the above intent behind it, then the person using it is a racist. HTH.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Uhuh, but it’s pretty clear from the context that that wasn’t how you meant it, was it?

Having learnt from the person you’re defending, get over it.

patriotpro
    Free Member

So Using Chinky to describe food, as in ordering a chinky is not considered racist (by most).

Using Chinky to describe a person is considered racist (by most).

And using the term to describe the food or person may/may not automatically mean the user is a default racist.

Gonna sleep like a baby tonight.

nealglover
    Free Member

Could I have made it any clearer that that comment was – get this – a joke.

Aaahhhhh, The Edinburgh Defence. Bravo sir. Well played.

It’s all makes sense (now you have had chance to realise how much of a cock it made you sound)

atlaz
    Free Member

I grew up in Portsmouth, surrounded by ‘french’ jokes – have you ever been to a pub in calais? They tell jokes about Portsmouth. It’s not a point of grievance, it’s just for a laugh.

Having grown up bullied at times for being French (half, but the distinction in 70s and 80s Hull wasn’t of importance) and having a mother that spoke differently to all the other women, I don’t find it quite so amusing as you clearly do. Edukator makes his point badly sometimes but his point is any joke based on race, sexuality, age, country of origin etc has the possibility to upset people. Okay, you’re not xenophobic or racist (I don’t know you, not going to sling insults) but there’s a degree of irony that you’re getting upset because Edukator said you might be but don’t understand why he might get upset.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Ah – he was pissed. That makes it perfectly excusable.

You are a deeply difficult, contrary human being. I know reading between the lines is not something you are particularly skilled at but I’ll help you.

Edukator it seemed was looking for someone else to attack ( a mainstay of this forum) by borrowing a post from another thread and singling out the individual responsible for the post. I perceived this as being a Rather unpleasant action so in an attempt to diffuse the accusations I tried to offer an explanation of sorts. Feeble it may have been but quite frankly if it deterred the online bullying which so many of you big hitters have become synonymous with now, then more the better.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Ah – he was pissed. That makes it perfectly excusable.

You are a deeply difficult, contrary human being. I know reading between the lines is not something you are particularly skilled at but I’ll help you.

Edukator it seemed was looking for someone else to attack ( a mainstay of this forum) by borrowing a post from another thread and singling out the individual responsible for the post. I perceived this as being a Rather unpleasant action so in an attempt to diffuse the accusations I tried to offer an explanation of sorts. Feeble it may have been but quite frankly if it deterred the online bullying which so many of you big hitters have become synonymous with now, then more the better.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 571 total)

The topic ‘Casual racists’ is closed to new replies.