Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 571 total)
  • Casual racists
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Waste of good webspace.
    What tyres do I need?

RustySpanner

enfht – Member

I find burqas offensive

So do I, but it doesn’t make it ok for me to call people **** or Chinks.

large418
    Free Member

Are you offended on behalf of Chinese people, or are you offended because that person doesn’t share your values, or are you offended because you have been personally affected by this name calling?

If it’s the first, I would say that is very patronising for Chinese people.
    If the 2nd, grow a pair and accept people are different.
    If the 3rd, grow a pair and accept that free speech is exactly that.

However you may or may not want to associate with that person.

rondo101
    Free Member

To echo what McHamish has said, I have a chinese lad that works for me & he hates it if anyone refers to him as a chink.

I also work with a chap who’s parents originate from pakistan. If you called him a “****” he would punch your lights out.

Both terms are racist because of the history of their use. Comparing them to “Brit” demonstrates some next-level stupidity.

McHamish
    Free Member

I find burqas offensive

I don’t find items of clothing offensive…other than crocs.

Are you sure it’s not the perceived oppression of women that you find offensive?

But then conversely, I suspect that many Muslim women would find it offensive that people assume they are forced to wear it.

However, I’m not entirely sure how burqas are relevant to this thread.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Are you offended on behalf of Chinese people, or are you offended because that person doesn’t share your values, or are you offended because you have been personally affected by this name calling?

Erm… these days many people find racism offensive, whoever it’s directed at.

druidh
    Free Member

Err- what’s wrong with that?

hora
    Free Member

I split with my Indian..Chinese..black girlfriend due to cultural differences.

Ive seen this before.

What cultural difference? You were a curious sexual adventurer but wouldnt want their kids.

That applies to white, black and Asian men alike.

Cougar

except where a word like **** is used to describe anyone with brown skin be they from india, turkey, iran etc

except where chink is used to describe anyone who looks like they come from china even though they may be from tibet or malaysia or laos etc

There’s a difference between misidentifying someone’s race and being racist, non?

Eg, you’re no longer talking about calling someone a ‘chink’, you’re talking about calling a Japanese lady / gentleman Chinese. Potentially still offensive, but in a different, straw-man-y sort of way.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I find burqas offensive, what is your point caller?

I’m guessing, but I reckon his point was that you don’t go calling people from other races, cultures, countries, etc names that they find offensive. But then again, I wasn’t trying to deliberately misunderstand his post in order to drop one of my bollocks-bombs like you do every so often.

Are you offended on behalf of Chinese people

It is entirely possible to point out when someone is being offensive, without being offended oneself. This offended-by-proxy (i.e. “on behalf of…”) gets trotted out time and time again on STW to denigrate peoples’ arguments and is not always the case.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

next we will have to refer to polish people as European.

What? No, you idiot. They ARE polish. Poles or Polski would be the non pc version, just like chinky. And as far as I know, they do not like being called chinkys. Nor do Pakistani’s like being called ****.

You blase approach to this is probably borderline racist tbh.

Burkas are a different issue.

porter_jamie

large418 – Member

If it’s the first, I would say that is very patronising for Chinese people.
    If the 2nd, grow a pair and accept people are different.
    If the 3rd, grow a pair and accept that free speech is exactly that.

However you may or may not want to associate with that person.

i am half chinese, not that it makes any difference.

if i were black, and the word began with n, would i have to accept that free speech is exactly that? no.

is the issue here with some responses that you have never thought this word offensive and therefore i or whoever must be overreacting? i am sure there are plenty of terms which were at use everyday which are now instant dismissal material.

mikeyd
    Free Member

As a half-chink myself, I would ask Watsontony not to refer to me or my mothers side of the family in that way.

If he did it again I would chop his motherfunking fingers off.

McHamish
    Free Member

Well at least one good thing has come out of this thread, I have a new list of people I have no interest in meeting.

enfht
    Free Member

Italics AND bold eh DD 😆

I’m trying to imgagine the aftermath of a bollock bomb and it aint pretty tbh. Try and block anymore negative thoughts of testicles exploding, that’s my advice to you. Do you think about testicles a lot?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

I never use the term ‘get a Chinky’.

If you need to ask why its racist/offensive then you need introspection’.

My son is half Chinese.

The only time I heard that had been mentioned mrshora had spat in the face of a bloke in a Kebab shop who called her a Chinky. His mates were half shocked and apologetic. Its acceptable to people who have never experienced racism.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No defence then enfht.

In fairness, you don’t normally stick around to defend yourself though, so that was a first. Well done.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Chinky describing a restaurant is a bit dodgy and i wouldnt use it myself but it is different in intent than using it to refer to a Chinese person.

However language changes over time and the usage of Chinky for a restaurant / meal is getting more and more unacceptable these days similar to how ‘****’ to refer to a corner shop has changed over the last couple of decades.

Bit like how negro or coloured are now unacceptable whereas in the past there were considered acceptable / polite and black was considered the offensive term, whereas black is now OK.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m still confused about this though. What’s the problem?

dannyh
    Free Member

Generally speaking, if it has ever been widely used for the purposes of abuse, it is probably best avoided.

I have a mate who always referred to any corner shop as the ‘**** shop’, but he has grown up a bit now and doesn’t anymore. He wasn’t being deliberately offensive, but that is not always the point – offence doesn’t necessarily have to be intended to be given.

On the flip side, the ‘offendee’ doesn’t necessarily have to jump off at the deep end either – and most reasonable people don’t if there was no offence meant.

Just part of ‘getting along’ really.

hora
    Free Member

The assumption that any eastern European sounding name is Polish. A continent of countries vaster than the US.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So where’s your name from then hora?

I heard you had a beautiful shiny pole somewhere.

hora
    Free Member

You’d say ‘going for an English’ (best comedy sketch ever)

You wouldnt say ‘going for a Honky’.

Its a beautiful hand-polished tool 😮

large418
    Free Member

Anyway, back to the OP – because that wasn’t aimed at calling people of different races names etc, it was asking whether a Chinese Takeaway could or should be referred to as a Chinky?

Does it matter what the Takeaway is called as long as it is not referring to the people who may run it? Or do people consider that calling the takeaway a Chinky has an inference on the people?

druidh
    Free Member

Aye – but’s just someone taking a guess. I can’t see what’s offensive about assuming it’s Polish.

Unless you find being mistaken for a Pole offensive?

Drac

My mother once rang the local Chinese takeaway and asked “Can I have Chinky please”

The guy, Robert, responded with “Yes, you can have me.”

I guess he wasn’t offended.

Edukator
    Free Member

Well if members of the of the Chinese community are prepared to chop peoples fingers off or fill them in for use of the word “chinky” I reckon they have more to learn than those using the word.

Call me a “surrender monkey”, “frog” or far worse “brummy” if you wish, your face and fingers are safe.

hora
    Free Member

Alonso? British isn’t it?

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    A mate of mine said he was going to nip into the “**** shop”, which I thought was a bit off, then I remembered the shop he was going to is owned and run by northern irish immigrants.

Sounds more like a packie shop.

TAXI!

warton
    Free Member

i suppose you dont like people from Pakistan being called pakies either?

wouldn’t Pakistanis be better?

The problem with the word ‘****’ is it has very racist undertones going back many years. It’s mainly used to negatively describe a person of a certain skin colour, irrespective of their country of origin. The same could be said of the word Chinky.

Just because some people of that race use those words to describe themselves doesn’t mean it’s OK for you to as well. If you don’t believe me, go to a corner in downtown Baltimore and call a black man a ****. See what happens…

dannyh
    Free Member

By the way, it pays to be circumspect when you’re from a nation (like Britain) that has generally screwed over more people than it has been screwed over by. Even if you weren’t even born when the issues occured, it shows some tact, education and self-awareness if you appreciate what others’ feelings might be.

I imagine Germans feel they ought to be similarly careful when they are with Poles, or Belgians with Congolese etc.

wrecker
    Free Member

Is “pole” offensive now?
    I’m behind the times! I honestly thought it was an acceptable term, not that I use it anyway.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

So in amongst all the s**t, I notice this –

McHamish – Member

As the proud owner of a Chinese wife
    Hmmmmm…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Does it matter what the Takeaway is called as long as it is not referring to the people who may run it? Or do people consider that calling the takeaway a Chinky has an inference on the people?

Dunno, but it makes you sounds like a right **** though.

hora
    Free Member

As my bestmate and ex once said ‘you dont get it. You have white skin. You are accepted. Try being a different colour and youd experience it subtly every single day’.

I say ‘we’. We dont get it because we are white and dont experience any eracism. ‘They’ do.

Makes you disgusted, the realisation.

user-removed
    Free Member

Just for a little real world input… I’m a quarter Chinese, and if you call me a chinky, don’t be surprised if I am offended to the point of violence. Of course it’s flippin’ offensive – can’t believe it’s up for discussion. Last time I had to deal with this shite was in the playground.

zippykona

When Australia beat Pakistan at cricket the Sydney Morning Herald sports headline was “we beat the ****”. Apparently out there its just an abbreviation. I wouldn’t say it myself.
    My friend when going to the corner shop refers to it as popping down the ‘stanis. Another abbreviation but currently not offensive.
    I do have a chinky takeaway. Its not intended as offensive that’s just what Chinese take away has always been referred to. If I was describing a Chinese looking person I refer to them as oriental.Is that safe?

schbeemb
    Free Member

I’m a white, average build, British male and you can call me anything, it’s not considered racist.

The world has gone a bit mad.

Now can we go back to bikes please? Far more interesting …

hora
    Free Member

You dont OWN a Chinese wife. Her Mum OWNS your ass 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 571 total)

The topic ‘Casual racists’ is closed to new replies.