Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 571 total)
  • Casual racists
  • porter_jamie

Am I over reacting here? I dont like people using the word chinky to describe a takeaway. I point this out and am accused of being imflammatory. Should I shut up or get out the bombers? I have to say trying to engage in a civil discusion with said personis not helping!

Do I put it down to stupidity, or what.

davidjones15
    Free Member
    watsontony
    Free Member

i suppose you dont like people from Pakistan being called pakies either?

describing an Asian person as an Asian is useless Asia is massive.

Chinese dont mind being called chinks. most i have met refer to them selfs as chinks.

imho all this bullshit is pc gone mad.

next we will have to refer to polish people as European.

grum
    Free Member

Already had ‘PC gone mad’ third post in. What other classics will we see I wonder.

druidh
    Free Member

“I’m not racist but….”

PiknMix
    Free Member

brew anyone?

druidh
    Free Member

So – what do you call people who live in Nigg?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Not a term I’d use.
    Not a term which would worry me about other people using.
    I’d imagine it would be quite hard to tell someone not to use it without sounding pretty patronising.

watsontony
    Free Member

scots

grum
    Free Member

druidh – Member

Racists? 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

next we will have to refer to polish people as European.

No don’t worry, it’s ok to call them Poles.

scaredypants

I’d not worry about someone referring to a meal as a chinky though I wouldn’t feel quite the same about them referring to a person as chinky and I’d find it hard to think well of the person who did

maccruiskeen

Phil, Jeff, Betty, Ken and Margaret.

or collectively-Teuchters.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d not worry about it either, but it’d be a good pointer as to whether he or she is the type of person with whom I’d associate.

Northwind

I think the word’s seperated from any racist intent tbh. I don’t use it myself but it doesn’t bother me. Doesn’t seem to bother chinese mates (actually, now I think of it, the only time I’ve ever seen anyone use it as a proper racist term, everyone laughed at it- just sounded silly)

A mate of mine said he was going to nip into the “**** shop”, which I thought was a bit off, then I remembered the shop he was going to is owned and run by northern irish immigrants. But to him, a corner shop is just a **** shop- and again, no ill intent. Think he’d be horrified if anyone took offence at it, though I don’t think he’d neccesarily get why either.

Northwind

PS, Niggrons.

watsontony
    Free Member

next time someone calles me a brit im doing them for racial discrimination.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Think he’d be horrified if anyone took offence at it, though I don’t think he’d neccesarily get why either.

Then someone more enlightened should explain it to him.

retro83
    Free Member

jonba
    Free Member

I think a lot of it depends on intent. Some words have racist overtones, connotations etc. and are best avoided. However, things change, words change as do meanings. The language you use can show a certain amount of ignorance or naivety but does not make you racist. To be racist you actually have to be racist.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I got called a pom once by an Australian gentleman. The cheek of it.!

Bloody convicts.

Back to the op, nowt wrong with calling a Chinese takeaway a chinky, calling a Chinese man a chinky is a different matter.

nealglover
    Free Member

The language you use can show a certain amount of ignorance or naivety but does not make you racist. To be racist you actually have to be racist.

I was trying to think of how to put it.

But that will do just fine 🙂

(The thread title is, more than likely, inaccurate too)

watsontony
    Free Member

racist= not liking someone simply because of race!

using words like ****,chink and pole are just shortning them from the longer version.

thought you guys wear a bit clever with you it jobs and flash cars but look at it like this…..

pakistan you see whats happened there?

pole
    polish and again

chink
    Chinese its just a shorter version of the full words….

we shorten all types of words not just words that describe peoples races.
    i really dont see whats rong with this?

nealglover
    Free Member

i really dont see whats rong with this?

I like the way you shortened that word as a way of demonstrating your point 😉

PMK2060

I used to go to college with a Chinese kid who worked in his parents Chinese takeaway. He hated it being called a chinky. I don’t think most people see it as offensive. **** shop is inexcusable though.

ski
    Free Member

rong

lol

Kryton57

Jeez.

This is really simple folks. Educate yourselves as to what people from different race’s and cultures find offensive, and don’t use it.

If you catch someone using in the contect the OP describes (casuallky not realiseing they are offending someone), politely ask them to refrain.

Simples.

trailmonkey

using words like ****,chink and pole are just shortning them from the longer version.

except where a word like **** is used to describe anyone with brown skin be they from india, turkey, iran etc

except where chink is used to describe anyone who looks like they come from china even though they may be from tibet or malaysia or laos etc

i don’t think you have to be ‘clever’ to work out why this might be wrong

PMK2060

I used to go to college with a Chinese kid who worked in his parents Chinese takeaway. He hated it being called a chinky. I don’t think most people see it as offensive. **** shop is inexcusable though.

porter_jamie

kryton57. i did (i am even) i do and i did (ask them to refrain) and i got much the same as i did from mr watson above.

personally i consider the term as offensive as the n word, and most younger generation people do too. look at the link someone put up.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

when you are aware that using words upsets people, do you carry on regardless and tell them they are just being oversensitive, or do you try and understand the reason why they find offence ?

watsontony– you are a ric

IanMunro
    Free Member

This is really simple folks. Educate yourselves as to what people from different race’s and cultures find offensive, and don’t use it.

Hmm. What if say you find women with exposed skin offensive due to the immodestly of it. Would you have spoken up?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Do I put it down to stupidity, or what.

Yes,

Watsontony is a classic example.

McHamish
    Free Member

Chinese dont mind being called chinks. most i have met refer to them selfs as chinks.

As the proud owner of a Chinese wife I can categorically deny that Chinese people refer to themselves as chinks, if you know of any that do I would suggest that they’re in the minority.

If someone called my wife a chink I suspect I’d have to restrain her to stop her punching them.

@watsontony, please try to keep a safe distance from anyone who is not caucasian. I say this for your own safety.

franksinatra

What other classics will we see I wonder

I’m not racist, some of my best friends are ___________*

*fill with totally inappropriate racist term

porter_jamie

franksinatra – from essex?

McHamish
    Free Member

If someone called my wife a chink I suspect I’d have to restrain her to stop her punching them.

In fact…I might punch them.

Disclaimer: I am not threatening anyone on the forum, merely pointing out that in the hypothetical situation where someone referred to my wife as a ‘chink’, I’d be tempted to punch them.

Kato

watsontony – Member

I mind. But you carry on calling them chinkys. See how long it is before someone fills you in

enfht
    Free Member

Educate yourselves as to what people from different race’s and cultures find offensive, and don’t use it.

I find burqas offensive, what is your point caller?

hora
    Free Member

Your surname, wheres it from Poland?

**** off.

Asian? Indians have many differences in country nevermind Pakistan v Indian.

Thai to Chinese to Phillipinos all look different as a rule.

Casual racism to both Jews and Muslims alike..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 571 total)

The topic ‘Casual racists’ is closed to new replies.