Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 489 total)
  • Carrying a knife
  • fasgadh
    Free Member

Would usually have something on me when I was working on a farm – but then that is not carrying in public.  I was pretty handy with a billhook.  Mind I hate to think how many laws I would have been breaking in other areas.  Given 3,000 new offences were created by the New Labour lot alone…..

Had a good wander around Dundreggan once – found the flags down and nobody about. Well worth a visit.

Drac

@soafunk it’s not that much different now.

Cougar

3.25″ including choil and ricasso.

Well, I just learned a new word, I’ve never heard “ricasso” before. Every day’s a school day.

Finished off a wild donkey once too.

The ranges suck balls

Every day’s a school day.

seb84

95% of the times I’ve got a not locking folder in my pocket. It gets used multiple times every day. I can totally see why for some people it maybe not be a useful tool but for me it is.

If I’m doing jobs at home or in the garden I’ll probably have a locking spyderco because it’s safe. Same if I’m camping or having a picnic.

Drac

You must eat a lot of croissants.

funkmasterp

Seven pages and all I’ve learned is it’s best not to eat tomatoes at work because it sounds like a right hassle. Also some of you weird bastards carry spread around with you. I said this on page 4(?) but it needs repeating just to outline the absurdity. I needs to carry a blade officer because butter!

pictonroad

All those who leave a leatherman in the car. I used to do this, I don’t anymore because the scrotes found a way to open everyone’s motors and go through them. Lost my beloved leatherman wave and chunky victorinox amongst other things. 😞

Will never be replaced, other priorities for the cash these days.

TheGingerOne

If you need a knife at work, use a knife that is kept at work either in the kitchen for food duties or in the workplace for work use. If you need a knife at home, keep a knife or knives at home: kitchen, garage, shed etc.

The other thing I have not seen mentioned, though not read exhaustively, is what happens if you lose, drop or have the knife pick pocketed. It could fall into the hands of a naughty person who does something illegal with it, either by threat ring or stabbing etc. How would you then feel that your knife was used to harm someone?

somafunk

Can’t tell if you’re taking the piss or serious?

burko73

What’s a threat ring? Some sort of organised bullying?

mattcartlidge

Guy at work used to bring a small kitchen knife on the train with him to cut apples at work (work provided the apples) had to explain to him why bringing a ‘fixed’ knife prob just over 3in blade in a bag on the train was a bad idea especially when he didn’t have an apple in his bag, ‘but I’m not some scrote wanting to stab someone etc’. Probably on 100k + a year.

billabong987

As a proud Englishman I think I should be able to carry a broadsword around in public if I so wish

Poopscoop

Well, it’s now obvious that the next time I go to pick up a bike part or whatever from a forum member id better go tooled up.

Half of the forum is full on tip of the spear and all they care about is operating cutting tomatoes.

😉

In fact, this guy’s time has come. He’ll be my +1 on bike part pick ups.

69a3sunlrci41

somafunk

Nipple armour!

Poopscoop

Might as well post this PSA here!

Victorinox Super Tinker, Swiss Army Knife, Medium, Multi Tool, 14 Functions, Blade, Bottle Opener, Red

£22.

https://amzn.eu/d/hHBORa3

dyna-ti

If you need a knife at work, use a knife that is kept at work

What if I brought my stuff in a suitable bag ?

maxresdefault

BoardinBob

Footage of the knife carriers on the way to the local corner shop

Poopscoop

^^ Nightmare, when you just need some tomatoes and a bit of cheese from the coop.

ashhh

Bargain that- cheers poopscoop!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

“If you need a knife at work, use a knife that is kept at work”

Part of my work involves visiting clients in their own homes. Should I go without my tools?

whatgoesup

what happens if you lose, drop or have the knife pick pocketed. It could fall into the hands of a naughty person who does something illegal with it, either by threat ring or stabbing etc. How would you then feel that your knife was used to harm someone?

Blimey. Peak STW hand-wringing.

johnx2
    Free Member

(work provided the apples) had to explain to him why bringing a ‘fixed’ knife prob just over 3in blade in a bag on the train was a bad idea especially when he didn’t have an apple in his bag, ‘but I’m not some scrote wanting to stab someone etc’. Probably on 100k + a year.

£100k/year and free apples? Bastard!

convert

Part of my work involves visiting clients in their own homes. Should I go without my tools?

Are we still getting knickers twisted about this? If you need specific tools when you visit clients then you are golden. Unless you don’t actually need the tools but want to use ‘might’ (as in, never have – but I could conceive of a reason if I squint hard enough) as some sort of fake reason, then you are on dodgy ground. Trying to pick holes in a law that’s clearly in place for a very obvious reason says more about the picker than the law itself.

And in peak double standards mode – I quite fancy that SAK about at that price – a lot smaller and lighter than my leatherman and nearly as useful for some little trips.

cookeaa

Blimey. Peak STW hand-wringing.

TBF I did have a dinky little SAK that I used in an old job which I’m 90% sure was ‘permanently borrowed’ by a colleague who subsequently denied all knowledge.

We’re talking about a tiny, non-locking knife here, good for opening boxes and slicing snacks but not much more, but yeah SAKs do get stolen by workplace magpies…

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

“Are we still getting knickers twisted about this? “

No, we’re not. It’s a rhetorical question aimed at the hard of thinking (and there appear to be a few here) who cannot imagine why anyone could possibly need to carry a knife.

dissonance

The other thing I have not seen mentioned, though not read exhaustively, is what happens if you lose, drop or have the knife pick pocketed.

Thats why I always carry my leatherman with all the blades etc extended in my pocket.
    Okay I get through a lot of coats, jeans and plasters but anyone trying their hand at pickpocketing is going to regret it.

Drac

No, we’re not. It’s a rhetorical question aimed at the hard of thinking (and there appear to be a few here) who cannot imagine why anyone could possibly need to carry a knife.

There’s no one on here like that. There’s those who claim there is and then there’s those say they need a knife to cut tomatoes at their office, slice apples on the trails and cut up cheese into little cubes. No one has said an anyone with trade that involves the use of tools regular shouldn’t have one.

winston
    Free Member

To be honest it seems like there are more people on this thread obsessed about those who occasionally use a knife to cut cheese and tomatoes than people on this thread who actually occasionally use a knife to cut cheese and tomatoes!

kilo

It’s a rhetorical question aimed at the hard of thinking (and there appear to be a few here) who cannot imagine why anyone could possibly need to carry a knife.

The hard of thinking being those who can’t grasp simple legislation around carrying a knife for work purposes?

(5)Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above, it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had the article with him—

(a)for use at work;

blokeuptheroad

There’s no one on here like that.

Hmm? There are plenty who’ve said ‘I’ve never found a need for a knife when out of the house’ or words to that effect. The clear implication being ‘if I don’t, you don’t’. It seems to correlate closely to those assuming everyone works in an office, or lives in an urban area etc.

No just this thread, but a general observation of STW (and the wider internet) is a big proportion of people project their personal circumstances and experiences on to others.  They have great difficulty imagining that due to different circumstances and life experience, others may have different but equally valid views.

Poopscoop

ashhh
    Bargain that- cheers poopscoop!

No problem matey! 👍

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The problem with that is that you are indirectly suggesting that you should be profiled as fine, and others profiled as risky. I know you didn’t mean harm by this but young people, especially young black men, really struggle with the unfairness of profiling. If you don’t think they should be singled out, you shouldn’t also expect to be treated differently to them.

+1

What you’ve basically done is describe white male privilege.

could pop down to the harbour in town (kirkcudbright, Galloway) and if the boats are in find 40+ fishermen all with knives, or the 50 odd folk heading to work in the fish factory a few hundred yards away, they all will be carrying razor sharp knives whether they be queenie, scallop or fileting knives, strange how you are so very sure of yourself in proclaiming there’s no need.

And how many of them are making a tomato sandwich in the office kitchenette?

It’s a daft comparison anyway, should I be allowed to wander round the office with an AR-15 because some professionals in a completely un=related industry down the road carry and SA80 for work? By the same token I don’t carry a multimeter, because I’m not an electrician, there’s just no need.

convert

Hmm? There are plenty who’ve said ‘I’ve never found a need for a knife when out and about’ or words to that effect. The clear implication being ‘if I don’t, you don’t’. It seems to correlate closely to those assuming everyone works in an office, or lives in an urban area etc.

I’m not going to go back up and check but just assuming there are……

Does your definition of ‘out and about’ also include traveling to a job where you are on the tools? Mine doesn’t. ‘Out and about’ would be wandering around the shops, out for an evening in the pub or travelling to a job where the most physical you are going to get is counting paperclips (or interfering with the aforementioned tomatoes or cheese). In the same manner, my day job involves regularly tooling up 12yr olds with Stanley blades and arming 15 year olds with chisels. I don’t just encourage them to hold them – I insist. But using my situation to somehow suggest that anyone saying there is no good reason for kids to have knifes was wrong would be borderline retarded thinking.

blokeuptheroad

borderline retarded thinking.

Is that aimed at me?

dashed
    Free Member
    TheGingerOne

It could fall into the hands of a naughty person who does something illegal with it, either by threat ring or stabbing etc. How would you then feel that your knife was used to harm someone?

You do know that it’s not all that tricky to get hold of a knife in the UK, don’t you? I don’t think knife crime is going to significantly drop if folk stop taking small, folding knives to work to cut up tomatoes or apples.

I might be wrong, mind you.

convert

Is that aimed at me

Depends if you are carrying 😉

More seriously, anyone using one scenario to try to undermine the logic of another is pretty daft yes. And not doing much for the overall conversation.

Also, to my eternal shame I spelt the multiple of knife as knifes and it’s too late to edit 🤦‍♂️

blokeuptheroad

‘Out and about’ would be wandering around the shops, out for an evening in the pub or travelling to a job where the most physical you are going to get is counting paperclips (or interfering with the aforementioned tomatoes or cheese).

There you go.  We obviously lead different lives and my ‘out and about’ is very, very different to yours.   Both valid experiences as long as neither of is is telling the  other what they should and shouldn’t do based on their own experiences.

More seriously, anyone using one scenario to try to undermine the logic of another is pretty daft yes.

I 100% agree and that is exactly the point I was trying to make.  Someone (for example), saying that because their circumstances mean that they can never imagine needing to use a knife out of the house or workplace means that others who do are ‘daft’, ‘retarded’ or whatever other insult they want to throw around.

BTW, a wink emoji doesn’t excuse a very offensive insult especially using a pejorative term for people with learning difficulties that most people stopped using decades ago.

convert

There you go. We obviously lead different lives and my ‘out and about’ is very, very different to yours. Both valid experiences as long as neither of is is telling the other what they should and shouldn’t do based on thier own experiences.

So, to be clear…..your concept of ‘out and about’ includes travelling to a place of work where you’ll need, for the actual job, something more pointy and stabby than a <3″ folding non-locking knife? If so – you are going to have help me here – could you point out one single contribution which says that that should not be considered perfectly legal and normal? Just one will be fine. Clue – you are not going to find one – it’s in your head.

BTW, a wink emoji doesn’t excuse a very offensive insult especially using a pejorative term for the mentally ill that most people stopped using decades ago.

Fair enough. Yes, out of line. But it’s nothing to do with mental health – it’s learning difficulties you were thinking of.

blokeuptheroad

So, to be clear…..your concept of ‘out and about’ includes travelling to a place of work.

Nope, not even close. I said none of that (I’m retired ffs – why would I) you literally made those words up and tried to put them in my mouth. You crack on, have the last word using whatever insults you like if  it makes you feel better, but there is zero value in me engaging with you anymore.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 489 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.