Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 489 total)
  • Carrying a knife
  • Cougar

I like many have fallen foul of the airport security,

I got caught out for accidentally having darts with me.

Stabbing a tin of tuna after the little opener thing’s come off maybe it’d be handy, but a snaffled eating knife does the job.

Sorted!

stingmered

I’m not convinced ‘I’m over 50

I’d start with your birth certificate.

imnotverygood

Most people need to carry a knife on a day to day basis in the same way they need to own an SUV. The motivation behind it is pretty similar.

Kramer
    Free Member

@relapsed_mandalorian the proven worst way to open anything ever. ;-)

BoardinBob

Anyone pulling a knife out their pocket in the office gives an instant vibe of

blokeuptheroad

I can’t say I’ve ever felt the need for one in day to day office life.

Fine. Not everyone works in an office.  I feel the same about mouse mats.

Kramer
    Free Member

Bit harsh. 😂

But not entirely untrue.

Serious? Then again, I’ve seen people pulled out of line for nail scissors.

My mistake was only made once. You live and learn. 😂

@relapsed_mandalorian
    the proven worst way to open anything ever. 😉

Nah, that’s the real test of an Alpha right there. 😂

slackboy

franciscobegbie
    If it locks, its illegal, no matter how nice you or it may be.

Am I the only one who laughed at Begbie from trainspotting giving legal advice on knives?

eatmorepizza
    Free Member

Unfortunately if caught with it by the plod the first clause is the police deeming whether they believe their is sufficient cause to be carrying it with you, which opens a very grey area. If your job requires it and it’s stored in a manner where it’s not easily attainable then likely fine. If you’ve got a 5″ locking knife in your pocket when getting pulled over and the bobby thinks you look dodgy, there likely isn’t any excuse that will go down well with them.

A few years back I used to do field archery and it was common to carry a screw driver or knife to dig arrows out of trees, one lad left a long flat head screw driver in his pocket and got pulled over driving home, the police deemed it a weapon and he was arrested, DGAF about the bow and arrows in his boot, they didn’t think his excuse of digging arrows out of trees was sufficient and believed it was to be used as a weapon in any possible road rage altercation. I think the charges were dropped in the end but it made a lot of people in the club pucker up

Drac

Well I’m surprised about this. I’m always using a knife – If its not cutting up food its fixing stuff or bodging stuff. I often cycle to work offroad and stop halfway for a brew etc so I will use it for cheese, cake, opening packets

So all stuff you could have prepared before setting off on your epic journey into the wilderness. “Officer I need  knife to cut my chees!”

Car you are in has an accident and is starting to burn, and you cant get your seat belt off,

In 34 years I’ve never had to cut a seatbelt off at an incident other than to make it easier. As for the extremely unlikely chance of you coming across a burning car and needing  to free the occupant, keep a belt cutter in your car. Good luck getting near without causing third degree burns to yourself.

And no police don’t routinely carry leathermans, they usually ask if the ambulance crews have their scissors on them.

dovebiker

I’ve got a Swiss Army Classic in my pocket – I work in a hardware store so opening boxes, prising open key fobs to replace batteries etc. We sell knives and have to record details/check ID for all locking blades over 7.5cm. I can sell an axe, screwdriver or a 10” filleting knife without any verification.

scotroutes

Could you not hide them in your rolls of belly fat?

Kramer
    Free Member

Nah, that’s the real test of an Alpha right there. 😂

<shuffles back to beta land where I belong> ;-)

Cougar

Serious? Then again, I’ve seen people pulled out of line for nail scissors.

I’d planned a road trip to the US. On my own and planning is not my forte. A mate came over the previous evening, he was driving me to the airport in the morning. We went out for a pint and a throw, I was on the ceiling.

Going through check-in the next day, the darts were still in my bag. The guy looked at me oddly, “are there… are there darts in here?” Oh, crap. I had to dispose them.

Cougar

A few years back I used to do field archery and it was common to carry a screw driver or knife to dig arrows out of trees,

In a past life I used to teach field archery. The number of times we had to dig arrows out of trees was never.

Could you not hide them in your rolls of belly fat?

Say you’ve not met me without saying you haven’t met me. I have the opposite problem.

johnx2
    Free Member

I can’t say I’ve ever felt the need for one in day to day office life.

Fine. Not everyone works in an office. I feel the same about mouse mats.

Ah good – can we do mouse mats now? What is the useful function served by a mouse mat? I’m unable to think of one beyond helping a mouse yoga ground moves maybe? And no I’m not going to start a new thread, that would serve less purpose if possible than an actual mouse mat.

bikerevivesheffield

All those carrying a knife most days, what do you use it for? Do you eat an apple with cheese like my long gone grandad did?  Do you do knot tying demos to the descendants of the Famous 5?

Drac

Mouse mats? That thing that existed before laser mice. No, mice with freaking lasers on them.

retrorick

Got my tin opener.

Drac

It’s a shame you can’t get tins with ring pulls.

poly
    Free Member

You can get an Opinel with a rounded at the front blade, and the law concerning knives specifies specifically a pointed blade.

This is why you should never take legal advice from random people on the internet… the law says both bladed articles and pointed objects are (or can be) illegal.  There’s no exemption for a blade that doesn’t have a point.

I’ve one conviction for being in possession of an offensive weapon, which was a long time ago(in my 20’s) but was for a huge lockback. 5″ blade affair and i didnt have it for camping. Resulted in a £300 fine

It might be a long time ago – but if caught again it could be squeeky bum moment – almost certainly community sentence, possibly custody unless you have very convincing mitigation.

But as you say, 50yr old, no trouble with the police, shouldn’t really be an issue unless you’re pissed and waving it about in the street. On that note you will probably find having a pointed locking blade knife without a reasonable excuse will have them taking it off you, you may get arrested, though its not going to be a serious charge being in simple possession.

Because of issues with knife crime, “simple possession” is no longer viewed as not a “serious charge’.

Even if they were to have you in court to explain, i think you could talk the case easy, pocket knife etc etc.

That may be possible, but don’t underestimate the stress/hassle etc of a court case.  Its unlikely anyone who can afford fancy MTBs is getting legal aid, so you’ll be paying the solicitor that talks your way out of it.

Theres also things like where its stored, so it is different whether its easily and readily available in your pocket, or in a holder in a pocket deep in a man bag.

None of those things get you automatically off the hook, but they help make your story credible.  In your pocket on the tube v’s in a bag in the boot of your car.

So where does the UK stand on what appears to effectively be a Butterfly Chisel?

That is an article which is “sharply pointed” so you’d need a legitimate reason.

Sandwich

@Poopscoop before 2005. It has coloured my view of what we are subjected to at security ever since, not helped by the make it up as we go along operatives that are some of those employed.

mmannerr

Interesting cultural differences, everytime I go to cheap lunch places in Helsinki centre there is bunch of construction workers who usually have a Mora knifes  and hammers on their work vests. No one panics, not even security people or police who are eating at same locale.

easily
    Free Member

All those carrying a knife most days, what do you use it for?
    I work in a theatre. I’m not part of the maintenance crew, but I do fix minor things as I’m going about my work, as the actual maintenance guys always have a backlog – loose screws, ripped out wires (surprisingly common), smoke alarm batteries, removing splinters, replacing bulbs (there are a lot of bulbs in a theatre, and many of them need tools to access) … that sort of thing.

The theatre is on five and a half levels. It is extremely annoying if I am on level 6 see something that needs to be done but realise that all the tools are on level 1, so I have little multi-tool on my key ring. It doesn’t do everything, but it saves me a lot of stair and ladder climbing. It includes a couple of screwdrivers, a pry tool, a bit driver and a small blade. The screwdrivers and blade are the most used functions.

I suppose I should leave it at work at the end of the day but I don’t. Partly as it is also useful at home for similar reasons, and partly as I usually forget to pick it up until I need it and I’m up a ladder four levels away.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I ignore the law. It is one of those stupid ideas put in place to catch a few dimwits who will ignore it anyway. As with many laws it purely penalises the innocent. I don’t carry a dirty great machete through the streets of the nearest city but as such things are dumps I wouldn’t be there anyway. Since I returned from my bike ride after lunch today, I cut a mattress in half, split a bit of kindling to make some wall plugs and carried on with stripping the paint off a window frame. All with the knife that lives in my pocket.

I completely fail to see why there should be a ban. A few youngsters get killed which is awful but how many are killed by cars? Lets ban them as well.

Drac

teresting cultural differences, everytime I go to cheap lunch places in Helsinki centre there is bunch of construction workers who usually have a Mora knifes  and hammers on their work vests. No one panics, not even security people or police who are eating at same locale.

I’ve not seen anyone in the UK panic either when they see construction workers carrying tools for their work, even in public areas. That said I might if I seen a Cowboy.

bruk

Different attitudes exist across the world to knives. I remember catching a connecting flight from Christchurch to Auckland before flying home. Chap in front of me at security swears out loud and then confesses to Security that he has forgotten to remove his knife. Shows it to Security who commented on the small opines like knife. ‘Ah it’s only a small one. You’ll be ok’.  This was post 9/11 too.

Our friend was bringing a polo mallet back ( apparently best ones are made in NZ) and was allowed it on the connecting flight but received looks of horror as she tried to board her flight to the USA with it and had it quickly taken off her  and put in the hold.

Used to carry a small knife at work but have since given up as it’s not worth the hassle of getting stopped with it in your pocket. Have a set of folding scissors/belt cutter in the central compartment of the car  in case of emergency.

tjagain

My mother got opinal locking knives taken off her in airports 3 times.  Little old lady carrying a 5″ lock  knife.  Biologist / Scientist by trade and carried one for cutting interesting things up

dyna-ti

I ignore the law. It is one of those stupid ideas put in place to catch a few dimwits who will ignore it anyway. As with many laws it purely penalises the innocent.

aka

‘Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men’

tomvet

So where do I stand with my concealed / stealth muck off bar end mounted tubeless plug trimmer knife ! (After spending about 5 minutes looking for my Multitool and unscrewing it).

retrorick

It’s a shame you can’t get tins with ring pulls.

The cheapest beans and spaghetti don’t have ring pulls 😭

winston
    Free Member

Alright already – just stop now

I promise I’ll leave my vicious shank at home, bite my tomatoes into small pieces before adding them to my sandwich, stop eating apples and cheese or tying knots in boy scouts. No longer will I stop and admire the morning inversion on a hillside whilst munching on a freshly buttered croissant but will use dairylea triangles on presliced white bread whilst sitting on a train instead. I’ll sell the SUV I don’t own and arrogantly but naively tip my hat to sleeping policeman whilst ignoring burning cars (Batman is on his way madam!). I will no longer strive to be the alpha male and stop throwing darts at airport security if you’ll all just stop posting on this thread about how you would all live my life differently!

(I’ve just found a small Wenger folding knife in my desk draw. It also has a corkscrew and a bottle opener so if I turn into an alcoholic I’m blaming STW)

funkmasterp

Three pages – this is why I only carry an axe as my EDC.

dyna-ti

My mother got opinal locking knives taken off her in airports 3 times. Little old lady carrying a 5″ lock knife

A repeat offender eh ? tsk tsk

midlifecrashes

How to eat tomatoes at work.

vinnyeh

Substituting ‘gun’ in for ‘knife’ in a few of the above posts, and I can see the ‘right to carry’ etc mindset isn’t limited to the other side of the pond.

winston
    Free Member

Have you tried buttering a croissant with a gun?  Its not nearly as easy as it looks.

What an absolutely mindbendingly ridiculous comment.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 489 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.