Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Carbon framed disc braked road bike – whats out there?
  • alanf
    Free Member

As I’m never likely to be racing, my next road bike could have discs. What’s available with a decent carbon frame that’s disc brake compatible?
    I know that Specialized do some but I’m not keen on the frames so what else is out there?

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s a road bike. Two triangles with a wheel at each end, how can you not like specialized frames?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

frame or whole bike?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ridden them, OP?

I like mine a lot!

Giant Defy are also worth a look.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Just ordered one of these:

Canondale synapse ultegra disc. Won one of the magazines BOTY so got to wait til mRch for delivery!!

alanf
    Free Member

No I’ve not ridden them but I’m not keen on the looks and if I’m spending dollars on it I want to like the look of it too. It’s the curved tubes I don’t like and the funny looking seat stays.
    I’ll check out the giants.
    Oh and frame or full bike depending on what kits hanging if them, so either would be considered

alanf
    Free Member

I do like the dale. How much is that if you don’t mind me asking?

chakaping
    Free Member

Defy advanced.

The non disc version is awesome.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Have a look at that £4K Bianchi looks lush.The disc cables you hardy see through the chainstay and down the front fork so NEAT.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You can’t see the tubes when you’re riding it! 😉

If you won’t be swayed, buy whichever Giant Defy fits your budget.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m really drawn to the focus cayo disc right now. Not only am I sold on hydro disc, but I also like the bolt through idea as well.

mboy
    Free Member

The Whyte Cornwall and Stowe models are worth a look in, start at under £2k with a decent spec.

The one I can’t wait for though is the upcoming KTM Revelator Sky… Full Ultegra, bolt through F&R wheels, tubeless ready rims, sub 8kg all up weight (discs add a few hundred grammes usually so this is a good weight) and lots of Orange!!! 😛

Onzadog
    Free Member

Also like the saracen avro. Hope they do a full ultegra version soon.

dpfr

I am slowly falling in love with the Wilier GTS Disc. My bank balance is afraid, very afraid

daleftw
    Free Member

Any frame only options? Thinking of upgrading my Croix.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Colnago C60 disc should now be available.

The Spesh frames are very good but like you, I insist on riding something that is both pleasing to ride and pleasing to the eye. There is a lot to be said for owning a bike you long to ride because it’s achingly pretty (which does kind of make the idea of disc brakes redundant as they are pig ugly even if they are the way to go!)

gooner69

What Geetee said above, proud owner of a c59 here and just “WOW”
    You would never be unhappy with it.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Synapse U D is £2500

Was looking at the defy until I saw one in the flesh, thought it looked cheap and a bit tacky

eshershore
    Free Member

Ridden the 2015 giant defy in both 105/mechanical disc and dura ace/hydraulic disc variants. When I say ridden, rode both flat-out 14 mile road loops with plenty of climbs and descents.

Interesting experience, never ridden a bike with endurance/sportive geometry in anger. Still prefer the geometry of my race bike.

Preferred the shifting and crank set rigidity of the dura ace bike, but the better modulation of the trp spyre mechanical disc bike.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You would never be unhappy with it.

Unless you don’t like the way it looks or rides, that is. 😉

Looks tidy to me, but just not tough enough for what I was after myself. Also, still not sure about QR and discs. Having had bolt through on MTB for years, it just seems “better” in my opinion. And, as you can’t race it, what does it matter how quick your wheel changes are? Surely better braking and steering is, well, better.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve got bolt through on my mtb. You just don’t need it on the road bike. Discs, yes, benefits especially in the wet but bolt thru….not convinced, road bike wheels don’t get bashed off line by rocks and muds.

doodlebug
    Free Member

I was in the market for a Colnago C60 Di2 disc, but really couldn’t get my head around that in 2014 the front hydo brake cable is external and tied with a plastic tie wrap, even a Colnago !!
    Went and purchased a De Rosa Di2 Hydro instead, pitty i really wanted a Colnago 😕

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

road bike wheels don’t get bashed off line by rocks and muds.

I rode a lot of rock and muds (sic) today on my road-ish bike. 😀

DougD

Hoping for a disc offering from canyon in the near future, something like an endurace disc would be excellent

alanf
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.
    After looking at the options I’ve narrowed it down to 3.

Cannondale synapse
    Giant defy advanced
    Scott Solace

I’m going to arrange to go and have a look/test them to see which I prefer.

The Colnago looks nice but at 3.7K for the frame/forks its a bit out of my budget!

shuhockey
    Free Member

Bikesoup seems to have a round up of most of the road disc bikes
    Best of the Road Disc Bikes

chakaping
    Free Member

Be good if you can take them for a spin.

I happen to like the looks of the Defy and think it’s a very well finished product (non-disc version), but the real revelation for me was in the ride quality and to a lesser extent the geometry.

Very comfy with the stock Giant wheels, bit more perky but still nicely takes the edge off bumps with Ksyriums installed.

r3rd
    Free Member

Have you considered builing a ‘Chiner’ cyclocross from Xmiplay ? I’ve bought a 29er from these guys, loads of opportunity to build a totally unique bike 🙂

squealer
    Free Member

Quite probably not when you’re after but these look interesting

http://www.norco.com/bikes/road/road-adventure/search-carbon/search-ultegra/

Onzadog
    Free Member

I really like the ktm and the focus. Do either of them take guards?

Most disc road bikes seem to do away with the bridge that you’d normally mount a guard to.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Giant defy advanced.. awesome bike!

monkeyp

The synapse has full guard mounts all neatly hidden. Fitted SKS chromoplastics with minimal bodging to my alloy one. Great bike.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The domane does as well but I really fancy something with through axles as well as discs but I’m put off the domane by trek’s bottom bracket.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I really fancy something with through axles as well as discs

Got that. 🙂

flange
    Free Member

Or go for something titanium?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Also, still not sure about QR and discs. Having had bolt through on MTB for years, it just seems “better” in my opinion. And, as you can’t race it, what does it matter how quick your wheel changes are? Surely better braking and steering is, well, better.

What a load of rubbish.

hora
    Free Member

Would like China route – but who??

Could swap everything bar wheels/calipers off my current bike then.

That Synapse @ 2.5k. A bargain considering the average mtb retaiks at 3k+ now no?

Onzadog
    Free Member

CFH, what is it and can it take mud guards?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Onzadog, it’s this;

Diverge Expert Carbon.

Can it take mudguards? Yes, very neatly hidden mounts for Spesh “Plug and play fenders”. They don’t half know how to come up with some awful product names!
    Can it take racks? Yes. Lowrider mounts on front, would need a seatclamp mount on the back.
    Tyres? Currently on 32s, but could happily fit a 25 on there if I wanted to. Given the state of the roads/lanes around here, and the fact it goes off road a bit, I don’t want to at all!

A little more detail here.

flange
    Free Member

Got a new bike CFH? Can’t say I noticed…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Carbon framed disc braked road bike – whats out there?’ is closed to new replies.