Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Orange Alpine 160 advice
  • abdoujaparov
    Free Member

Looking at picking up a second hand Orange Alpine 160 in the next few months, could anyone tell me the differences in between different years as I know they changed the seat/head tube sizes at some point but not exactly sure when.
    Any particular year of frame to look out for/avoid?

stevede
    Free Member

2010 was the last model that came with a 27.2 seat tube and 1 1/8 head tube, they crack around the hole in the back of the swing arm underneath the shock mount, think its a weld hole and they crack across it like crosshairs both ways. Last year they changed to an adjustable shock mount, went a degree slacker, a bit longer and introduced a 17″ size, this year they changed back to a fixed shock mount again and very recently went 650b.
    Love my 2012 frame for the record.

zero-cool
    Free Member

The 2012 Alpine had a tapered head tube and a wider seat tube so it can take a Reverb. Mines had a few years hard riding and not cracked. Just fitted some offset bushings to it today to see how that goes. But TBH the geometry has always felt pretty much spot on.

Last year they made it a bit lighter and added an adjustable shock mount and this/next year there’s a 27.5 version and they’ve lengthened the top tube a bit
    Tom kp

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

From 2013? (the newer looking one) onwards it was slacker and longer.

They doing a 27.5 one now?

EDIT: They are and the wheelbase and top tube length is huuuge. Hmmmm, think I’ve found my next bike. Going to go for the medium even though I’m 182cm as… a 448mm reach and 1212mm wheelbase is longer than any large I’ve ever ridden.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Yes this year’s one is stupidly long! being 5’11” last year’s medium was a good size for me and felt great. this year I’d be pushed to using a small! Longer lower blah blah I think the Alpine has lost its shit this for 2015.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Mines had a few years hard riding and not cracked

I reckon if a 2009/10 hasnt cracked by now it won’t. I’ve got a 2010 (had it from new) and its a keeper, better than the Nomad it replaced As its only a 27.2 Ive got a GD on it which is fine but if I was buying now (and looking at used) I’d go 2012 onwards purely for the bigger seat tube.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

not mine and dont know the seller but 30.9mm seat tube and RC3Ti forks are sublime

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2011-orange-alpine-18

chestrockwell

It went tapered and 30.9mm in 2011 from memory, just like the 5. 2014 the design changed to the current straight top tube look with 1.5 head tube.

From what I understand the extra length in the tt this year simply covers what’s lost by running a shorter stem as stock?

zerocool

A friend bought an immaculate 2010 Alpine for £1200 this spring and it’s still going strong. And that was with upgraded forks and CCDB.

tomaz91
    Free Member

Hi guys

Came here for some advice. So in near future i might be buying a second hande orange alpine 2013. Orange alpine/five has been my dream bike since the first day i saw them, they are just sexy 🙂 however one can read quite a lot about some quality issues with orange bikes. On this forum as well quite a few threads with orange and cracks in them. I am from mainland Europe and orange bikes are quite rare here so i am asking you guys are there any known issues with the alpines 2013 or is the percentage of issues the same as with any other brand.

Also a question about sizing. I am 6’0 looking at 18″ 2013 alpine, is this ok? I believe the alpines are quite longcompared to some other bikes.

Thank you for any advice.

qwertyuiop7
    Free Member

Is it just the 2010 and earlier models that are susceptible to cracking at the hole mentioned in the second post.
    Or is it a potential weak point on later models aswell?
    I’m guessing that you must have to ride them hard for it to be an issue?

davefarmer
    Free Member

Everything cracks eventually

A friend of mine has a 2003 sub 5. The swing arm has been cracked for over five years, still works

chestrockwell

I’ve been riding 5’s consistently since 2006 (Had three) and non have cracked.

klunky
    Free Member

You must be getting tired by now surely?

chestrockwell

Tried others but like the way the 5 rides.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Orange Alpine 160 advice’ is closed to new replies.