Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 2,121 total)
  • Cannondale Trigger? Bargain
  • whereisthurso
    Free Member

Oh well, I’m stuck with 1×10 as cannondale UK don’t have the part so none of the UK dealers I’ve spoken to can get the part. Bit of a pain but never mind I’ll just get out and enjoy it

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Yes it is! The reliable Germans have it. 20 euros plus 15 euros postage stings a bit. At least I now know where I can get one though, thanks. I’ve a feeling at that price I might just make one on my dad’s lathe when I next visit him and settle with 1×10 for now.

trickyd444
    Free Member

Bit nippy in the Pentlands this morning! Fitted a oneup components 32t traction ring yesterday and tried it out this morning. The 1×10 setup and oval ring has definitely improved pedalling, and only £35 delivered. Have also fitted CTD remote, 150mm stealth dropper, and DMR v12’s. Enjoying it a lot.

crazymac680
    Free Member

I wasn’t aware you could get a ctd remote. There has been a couple of times I’ve been trying to change it on the fly before a big drop.
    I’ve finally put on my single chain ring. I reused my old boltsby removing about 2-3mm with a dremmel. I used a saw for the last one which was even easier. Just need to soften the edge with a file on the male end.
    I just need to get my chain breaker back so I can get the front derailleur off.
    Think I’ll try tubeless on my new continental mountain kings before I go out tomorrow. I can’t imagine the stock tyres loving the snow.

paulkm
    Free Member

crazymac – my trigger 4 came with a speedlink on the chain, so perhaps no need for a chain tool?

crazymac680
    Free Member

Thanks. Out if pure luck. I clamped my chain tool on the link right next to the speed link. I’d never seen one but it popped open easily.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Might have been done already but they’re now back in stock at Paul’s. Fifty quid more expensive this time but still an absolute bargain.

crazymac680
    Free Member

How is everyone cleaning the pull shock after a ride? I get the wife to sit on it while I give it a wipe and spray of wd40. Is this the only option short of taking the air out?
    Thanks

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Never use wd40. Its vegetable based oil. I use Brunox on mine, so sit on the bike and clean the shaft and then a spot of Brunox.

Wally

Always use fork oil. I have a cut down paintbrush in a pasta jar that I dab, compress and wipe.

Harry_the_Spider

A cautionary tale for anyone running WTB Wolverines with tubes as supplied by Cannondale.

In the event of a puncture they are extremely difficult to get off the rims. Also, they are not supplied with rim tape, just the tubeless seal. So, if you nick the rim with a lever whilst wrestling with it to remove the tire you will blow the spare tube as soon as you put air in it.

Go to your LBS. Buy 2 new tires and some rim tape. Put aside a couple of hours and swap them out.

Prepare to get extremely annoyed with them, then be thankful that you are not trying to do it in the middle of nowhere at 10:00pm in the rain.

Tubes = Great
    Tubeless = Great
    Tubeless ready with extremely tight tires and no rim tape = Shocking

longmover
    Free Member

I had a similar problem, tried to go tubeless and couldn’t get the bead to seal so I went back to tubes, could I get the things back on, **** no! Blew both the oem inner tubes trying.

crazymac680
    Free Member

Good cycle today. Felt far more confident with the continental mountain king on the front. [/url]
    image url upload[/img]

rascal
    Free Member

Sorry to bring this up again.
    Got the Trigger 4 with the WTB Wolverine tyres.
    A wet ride yesterday convinced that these tyres are not for me.
    No – haven’t gone tubeless yet – they may be better run with less pressure but I think I’d rather just get some High Rollers – I’ve never felt as uneasy on a bike as I do with these tyres.
    If I go tubeless, what do I need to buy to do so?
    Sorry for the numpty question…is it just one bottle of sealant?

Still unconvinced about going tubeless TBH…I very rarely puncture.
    Just need to work out whether to do it before I buy the tyres.
    Anyone done it and think it’s not worth it?

On another note – ran 1×10 for first time too. New XT cranks with Raceface NW 30T and the supplied Deore 11-36 cassette. So quiet and so little crap fouling where the front mech would have been. Got up everything ok – just span out with the crap tyres a few times.

longmover
    Free Member

The wolverines are growing on me, they drift a lot but its fairly predictable that they will break out all the time. Embrace the slide!

Slowly learning the bike the more I ride it, had some fun playing around on some jumps and twisty trails yesterday, really surprised how well it flies and corners.

Going 1×10 tomorrow, have a saint shifter, zee rear mech, 30t blackspire snaggletooth and ring god to fit.

hammerite
    Free Member

Rascal – not sure I’ve done it completely right, but my tyres are staying up so it can’t be too wrong (until something catastrophic happens!). I did as you suggest, just got a bottle of sealant. I didn’t bother trying it with the Wolverines to save on mess, I just waited until the high rollers arrived.

longmover
    Free Member

I couldn’t get the wolverines to seal when trying to go tubless.

Harry_the_Spider

I thought that the Wolverines were fine until I tried to get them off the rim (see my multiple other posts). In a massive George Osborne style U-turn I’d say bin them. But do it in a warm and well lit garage/kitchen with a mug of team, a couple of biscuits and the radio on.

Don’t wait until you get a puncture in the middle of nowhere because if you do you are walking home.

longmover
    Free Member

I got them off ok, getting them back on was an all day affair with much swearing

rascal
    Free Member

So it’s def the tyres that are tight – I shouldn’t have any problems getting HRs onto the WTB rims?

Harry_the_Spider

I got the replacements (Vittoria Barzo) over the rims (DT Swiss) with my thumbs. Tyre and tube on in about 2 minutes… as it should be. Whoever though it was a good idea to fit a tyre as tight as that with a tube wants a bat up his/her nightdress.

rascal
    Free Member

Whoever though it was a good idea to fit a tyre as tight as that with a tube wants a bat up his/her nightdress.

Pipistrelle or cricket?

Harry_the_Spider

Golf.

rascal
    Free Member

A 9 iron golf bat up your nightdress – def one for the ladies.

rascal
    Free Member

So with much trepidation after Harry’s experiences with the Wolverines I thought I’d try and get them off to see what my tubeless ready wheels comprised of. I’m not sure why yours were such a mare HTS but mine came off way easier than I was expecting. 3 plastic tyre levers and very little effort and they were off – maybe yours were a Friday afternoon set and they put 26″ tyres on by mistake? 😉
    I was quite surprised to see just a strip of pale yellow tape covering the spoke holes – is that it?
    So short of putting the supplied valves in do I need to do anything else, other than putting the new tyre on and put the sealant in? Is it worth putting some extra duct tape in first?
    Is Stans the sealant to go for? Not sure of alternatives – worth going for the bigger size bottle?
    Trigger finger poised to get these:
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/maxxis-highroller-ii-26-x-2%2C3-tlr-exo-60a-folding-tire-157911/wg_id-47
    If you’ve seen these cheaper please shout up.

longmover
    Free Member

Rascal, they are 26″ high rollers not 650b

rascal
    Free Member

Ha – good spot! 🙄

hammerite
    Free Member
    rascal
    Free Member

Hmmm – they are the cheapest but never heard of them prior to them popping up during that search. Aren’t they a Spanish outfit? Delivery and everything ok?

Harry_the_Spider

Mine were 29″. Actually they were more like 28.8″ with Kryptonite beads.

trickyd444
    Free Member

I thought the wolverines were fine, decent grip and cornering. Then it rained. I just didn’t have much confidence in them, they are great on dry trail but not on mud or wet rock.

I fitted Michelin Wild Grip R2’s tubeless and tried them sunday morning. You might have noticed a bit of rain on saturday… I basically cycled upstream for a few miles. The grip is fantastic everywhere apart from really wet mud. I have complete confidence in these tyres and set a few PB sections on my regular run regardless of the conditions. I cant rate these highly enough, or maybe they are just average and the wolverines are actually that bad? I’m keeping them for summer anyway.

£50 for the pair and tubeless set up was easy. I also got the Wolverines off with only one tyre lever and the Grip R’s back on without a lever. Might be technique…

Harry_the_Spider

Might be technique…

Or maybe mine were just bastards! The mechanic at the LBS had a struggle with my front one too and he knows what he’s doing. The rear was a bit easier, but not a job to be carried out in the wet and dark.

Had a spin on the Vittoria Barzos last night and they grip nicely in the mud and shyte.

binners

I’m shoving a set of those on mine Harry. Gonna drop it in at Cookies and let them worry about it.

I was all over the shop last night, while you strode purposefully on with the surefooted confidence of Bruce Forsyth on Strictly

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Trickyd444 I bought the same tyres for mine. Wow, what a difference, it’s like night and day. Really pleased with the Michelins. I’d been looking at high rollers but these seem just as good if not better and are a pretty decent price too. Thoroughly recommended.

rascal
    Free Member

Michelin link please 😉

rascal
    Free Member

Did you go 2.25 or 2.35?
    How you they size up? Found 2.25 online for £23 a pop for 2.25…quite tempted…reviews seem good.

trickyd444
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/michelin-wild-grip-r2-advanced-ts-mtb-tyre/rp-prod118462

2.35 on the front and 2.25 on the rear due to forums and hype…

There is a 1.5mm difference between front and rear width at 30psi and tubeless. I reversed the tread on the rear.
    2.28 front, and 2.22 rear not measuring the knobs. Wider rims would probably help.

They have transformed the bike. I honestly cannot believe the change in handling, braking especially from speed on any surface.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Most of my bikes run Michelins. Never the tyre of the moment, like schwalbes seem to be currently, but am always happy with them for the money.

hammerite
    Free Member

Rascal – I think Acycle are French. Delivery was fine, took a couple of days. Everything was well packaged. I also paid £notalot for a Mavic crossride jersey at the same time.

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 2,121 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Trigger? Bargain’ is closed to new replies.