Home Forums Chat Forum Can a shop legally sell unused helmets that were manufactured 6 years ago?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Can a shop legally sell unused helmets that were manufactured 6 years ago?
  • mattsd
    Free Member

As the title says. I thought helmets had a 5 year shelf life? Got a heavily discounted helmet yesterday. Says it’s a 2020 model on the website but the label inside the helmet says it was manufactured in 2014!
    Still safe to use do you think?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Test it to see if its fit for purpose…

nickjb
    Free Member

“I thought helmets had a 5 year shelf life?”

Then you thought wrong. Some manufacturers may suggest a 5 year life but that is from the rigours of typical use, not being stored, or even lightly used.

twistedpencil

Not sure they can call a helmet made in 2014 a 2020 model, but a helmet made in 2014 and stored in a box in cool environment will be fine.

Would be miffed if I thought I’d ordered a 2020 design and a 2014 one arrived however.

stevextc
    Free Member

SNELL the testing organisation say 10yrs…

tonyplym
    Free Member

For construction site hard hats widely used guidelines are 5 years from manufacture and/or 3 years from date of issue (assuming good storage and no damage) – but these are only guidelines – there’s nothing in HSE regulations.

stumpyjon

Impact damage, high temperature, rough handling and UV light degrade a helmet. I know when i did my mountain bike leaders course my helmet age at 5 years was frowned on, despite no impacts and being stored in the dark. Still be a bit miffed at getting 6 year old stock if bought new, if it was discounted because if age and that was clear I’d be happy.

Trimix
    Free Member

I think marketing plays a part. If its in a box out of UV light and not being hit with branches and the ground, it will be fine.

LeeW

I think UV is potentially the biggest issue – same with unprotected (lacquered or painted) carbon fibre.

As long as it has been kept in a box and not in the shop window in direct sunlight it should be fine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wish I’d kept a link to that test of aged/”damaged” helmets that all tested fine…

Not sure they can call a helmet made in 2014 a 2020 model

What if it’s in the 2020 catalogue?

tjagain

Helmets degrade at different rates from different sources ( time, UV exposure, sweat, heat etc)

No legal reason not to sell them that I know of but if I was the OP it would be going back. Its probably not degraded much / significantly if its been stored properly but there is no way I would accept it.

Pauly

singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/can-a-shop-legally-sell-unused-helmets-that-were-manufactured-6-years-ago/#post-11280691

As said, it’s the UV that degrades the polystyrene that is the issue. Met recommended changing your helmet every 3 to 5 years when I used to sell them.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Can a shop legally sell unused helmets that were manufactured 6 years ago?
    Yes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Can a shop legally sell unused helmets that were manufactured 6 years ago?’ is closed to new replies.