Home Forums Bike Forum Calling diabetics Freestyle libre 2 Garmin head unit

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Calling diabetics Freestyle libre 2 Garmin head unit
  • stoddys
    Free Member

Has anyone been able to connect their head unit, mine is a Garmin 1000, connect to their freeStyle libre 2 sensor?

with the new no touching to scan reading since the update I was hoping this may be possible?

I don’t fancy wearing a watch, I have not done so for 15 years, so don’t fancy going down that route just for riding. But would if my head unit won’t work.

thanks in advance for any knowledge. I know there might not be much info as the update has only just happened.

fossy

Whats the new no touch scan, my son hasn’t mentioned it to us ? He’s 22, why would he ?

DickBarton

You may need to install xdrip and then something else…I was using Libre 2 and never found a way to display the result – notifications about high or low blood levels would appear but not the actual result.

I’m using CamAPS and a Dexcom g6 – Garmin have a Dexcom widget but it needs the Dexcom app installed on the phone – which can’t be used with CamAPS. I’ve not found a way to get the CamAPS data on my Garmin and I suspect I may have to try and install something else to try and show the readings.

DickBarton

@fossy There is an update to Libre app that now means the libre 2 doesn’t need a scan to get a reading (sounds like it does what the libre 3 does). However, the app is jumped on iOS and has been removed from Apple app store until it is fixed. I think android it works though.
    Basically the libre 2 will now send result to phone so doesn’t need to be scanned to get a result (I think – I moved to Dexcom g6 about 35 days ago so haven’t paid it much attention).

stoddys
    Free Member

@fossy

Dick Barton is correct.

iv had several emails the latest one today saying the IOS is now up and running again. Once I start my next sensor it will send reading straight to my app.

clubby

Software is all available, it’s just legislation holding it back. Nothing that the Supersapien sensors don’t do, but they’re not a medical device. Hoping it comes in time, would be great to have it on Apple Watch.

DickBarton

Apparently apple version is fixed now so should be available soon. Suspect a new sensor will get it working without scanning.

BigR

I have used a libre with a ‘bubble’ Bluetooth transmitter. This sends my results to my phone and garmin every 5 mins using xdrip. I am really hoping the libre upgrade will do away with the bubble device and do likewise but I am not optimistic.

Beagleboy

I just started a new sensor a couple of days ago and the Android Libre 2 app is working flawlessly. To check my levels all I have to do is pull up the Libre app on screen or from the background. I don’t have to scan, which will be a godsend when out in the winter. No more trying to get sensor contact with my phone through umpteen layers of kit!

I believe what it’s doing now, is roughly the same as the Dexcom kit. I’m no techy expert, but I think that all the extra apps like Xdrip/ Nightwatch? etc. were developed by users to access the Libre 2’s already available, but disabled, continuous broadcast capability.

So, for us to get readings on our Garmin devices (I would dearly love to see my sugar levels on my Edge 530), we’ll need a developer to have access to the Libre’s code and produce a compatible app as is the case with Dexcom. If I understand things correctly from what I’ve gleaned on t’internet though, Abbott aren’t as forthcoming with propriety information as Dexcom have been.

All of the above should be taken with a healthy pinch of scepticism as I really don’t know what I’m talking about.

Harry_the_Spider

Just heard about this at our quarterly review this week.

My daughter is worried that it will mean that she has to use her phone in school (strictly verboten). So it doesn’t do anything until you open the App, then it pulls all of the data over?

Next sensor change is 8 days away, so she has time to think about it.

damitamit
    Free Member

My gf was using Libre 1 and then Libre 2 connected to XDrip+ (on android) and then the garmin xdrip widget/datafield to display numbers on both her garmin watch and 530. She’s on Dexcom now (as it connects with her pump) but I’m pretty sure it was working fine when she switched.

So I think the trick is you need to use Xdrip instead of the Libre app. Guide here: https://www.minimallooper.com/post/how-to-setup-freestyle-libre-2-and-oop2-to-use-a-native-bluetooth-connection-in-xdrip

And then use the Xdrip datafield on your garmin here: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/5a3e2cda-12f0-4afd-88ed-000e67a68d84

Tbh, Xdrip seems to be a better app than both the libre and dexcom android apps.

Beagleboy

The sensor’s just the same as before. If you start it with your phone, you’ll get continuous readings, you can actually see your readings change every minute on screen without scanning while the phone is in range of the sensor. I believe though, if you start it with your reader, you’ll still only get scanned readings, like you got previously with the phone and won’t get the benefit of the continuous reading. I assume your daughter uses a scanner rather than her phone during her school day, so it’ll just be business as usual for her.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks.

Will look into it.

DickBarton

Garmin has a Dexcom datafield and widget, but it seems to need Dexcom app running on your phone – which is fine, but I’m not using that as I’m running CamAPS and that isn’t available.

I’m going to have a nosey at the xDrip thing as I really would like to see this on my phone or head unit. I haven’t looked at xDrip, so no idea how it will work with the apps I’ve already got (CamAPS, MyLife (Ypsomed) and Glooko) – I’m hoping it will just sit alongside and gather the data without impacting what is already there.

latham2104
    Free Member

As a few have said – new update means constant glucose reading when sensor started with librelink AP. Son (13) had a new one on last night, scanned it with his iphone, running the app, rather than the reader. Works really well which surprised me having seen the issues over the last week.

Challenge we face is we now can’t use the reader which is an issue at school as he has to get his phone out – but last day today so they’ll have to deal with it. Previously, if you starter sensor with reader, you could still use the phone app to scan.

The biggest issue though now is we can’t get the LibreLinkUp app to work. If you’ve not used this, it used to send an reading to my phone when he scanned himself with his phone. Was ok for sleep overs or if up playing football etc. Would be even better now it will ‘constantly’ have a feed, but i can’t seem to get it to work.

Anyone else experienced that yet?

I wonder if integration to 3P apps/systems is yet to be rolled out, hence the OP’s issue??

robw1
    Free Member

New IOS app is still very glitchy after about 5-6 days. Hoping that it will gradually start to improve over time. Im not even sure if mine is alarming properly even with the settings restored. The constant feed without scanning on the phone doesn’t seem to be very consistent…..and hence im not very confident it is actually doing it, or rather just displaying my last reading. i am therefore still scanning with the phone quite often. Sure over time it will improve….I hope!!

DickBarton

The fixed Apple app only went live yesterday or the evening of the day before…are you sure you are using the latest Apple version @robw1?

@latham2104
    – rather than taking the phone out constantly to check readings, does he have a smartwatch that could display the reading? Or if he handed the phone to the teacher and it was on the teacher’s desk so if there is a significant change in levels then it can be spotted and acted upon? Saying that, I’m not sure the school can do anything to prevent a medical requirement needing the phone to be used – as long as your son doesn’t abuse the use.

Dr_Bakes

I’m a Libre 2 user and this is an advancement I’d been hoping for for some time. I had been recommended miaomiao (not meowmeow, that’d be highly unethical)  by my consultant to achieve this but didn’t fancy an additional sensor on my arm given how often I catch it anyway – I decided against it in the end.

Although I can get low sugar alerts via bluetooth connection between phone and my Garmin Forerunner, so I assume I may be able to stream blood sugar  levels through the same route? I’ll be installing a new sensor in a couple of days so I will investigate.

You hear all the diabetic news first on the STW forum!?

DickBarton

There isn’t a native Garmin link for Libre (yet), so I suspect you’ll need to install a 3rd party app (xDrip seems to be the one) and then install the widget and data field (there might even be a watch face as well) and then you will get the results.

The high/low alerts are ‘alerts’ so get shown as notifications on your devices, they aren’t the same as the continual blood levels…

However, it should hopefully be straightforward enough to do and won’t require anything additional on your body, maybe just an additional app on your phone.

latham2104
    Free Member

@DisckBarton – thanks for the comment. Yep – we’re looking into the Smart Watch – we have an old Apple Watch 3 knocking around but i can’t see that working. Do you have expereince in setting it up to receive the reading? Any tips?

Chances are he’ll have one before back to school in September which will elevate the phone in school issue. Handing to teacher is a no go for various reasons and you’re right, no medical responsibility.

@Dr_Brakes – miaomiao was useless in our experience. Wouldn’t recommend wasting your time or money on it.

Personally, i think the advancement is great. Seems a good stop gap until Libre3 is available on NHS and means I dont need to self fund a Dexcom.

DickBarton

@latham2104 – afraid I’ve zero experience of setting this up. I’ve moved on to Dexcom G6 with my Ypsomed pump which has allowed hybrid CGM (which is awesome!), but only been on it for last 37 days. BEfore that, I was on Libre for about 4 years, but I was happy with the alert notifications.

I’m now needing to take a look at xDrip, reading things it seems I’m going to have to reinstall the Dexcom app and set up a ghost follower for xDrip to pick up the detail (but it that is all it is, then I may see if the native Dexcom widget and datafield will work on the Garmin devices and then I don’t need to worry about additional apps).

This part of it – getting the result on a Garmin device is all very new to me, plenty of others have done this already, but I’m still trying to work things out…so not the best person to ask. I’m still on a few libre forums so have been reading up on the new thing – which is a bit of a nuisance as had this new functionality been known 7 weeks ago, I wouldn’t have been moved onto the Dexcom as I had everything else in place. Dexcom, however, seems to be more accurate and is much less vulernable to being knocked off my arm, so I’m quite happy to be using that.

scud
    Free Member

My daughter is Libre 2 user, app stopped working last week, then we went to download new version and missing from Apple app store, finally managed to download new app yesterday, but it is still requiring that she swipe, not working as CGM as mentioned above?

Will it only start working when she fits new sensor in a weeks time?

DickBarton

It only works when a new sensor is started. The Apple version of the app had a major issue and it was removed from the store, but that got fixed and was made available again the day before yesterday (I think).

stoddys
    Free Member

So just started the new sensor, and no scan needed for live updates.

I have a new question. Can I get readings on my Lock Screen? So just glancing at my phone

iPhone XR latest update installed.

been googling for the last hour, but can’t find anything

Andy_B

For iPhone, does anyone know what software version is required. Checking my mums and she’s on v 2.10.1.7653. I can’t check as she’s just  knocked the sensor out and hasn’t got a spare so hoping when she puts a new one in it works for her.

DickBarton

How does Apple deal with notifications on lock screen? I’m not on libre but I had to set my lock screen notifications to all (on android) rather than secret. I now see all my notifications but it also shows my CamAPS result as well.
    Might need to set your notification level to ALL to see if they show.

stoddys
    Free Member

Thanks @DickBarton

tried all sorts but won’t show up.

whytetrash

You need juggluco on your phone and xdrip on your garmin… miou miou/ bubbles no longer required, I’ve got this on my fenix and at a glance bg readings are amazing 😀 best advice is to join freestyle libre geeks group on Facebook… super helpful bunch …. I was struggling to get results ended up with a guy offering to give me a call to talk me through set up. … ive not updated my phone as don’t want to risk having to faff about!

scud
    Free Member

Thought it probably a question to ask on here, since the Libre 2 update, if my daughter has high glucose, when you had to scan the sensor, if she was high, but had insulin on board working, once you scanned the sensor it acknowledged this and stopped alarming all the time.

Now if she is high, she checks her blood glucose and it does not want to give her any more insulin, but the alarm keeps going off every five minutes until she goes back under pre-set upper limit on Libre Link app?

We try to give her a sensible diet, but as a 13 year old girl going through puberty, her BG is up and down constantly, and ratios that worked yesterday, can be way out tomorrow!

Signed

A very sleepy dad….

latham2104
    Free Member

@scud Now if she is high, she checks her blood glucose and it does not want to give her any more insulin, but the alarm keeps going off every five minutes until she goes back under pre-set upper limit on Libre Link app?

i hear you on this. We have the same. Dont think you can fix that.

Are you using the LibreLinkUp app as well? This will send the alert, and ‘constant feed’ to your phone as well. Very handy. This seems to be owrking really well for us. It does however alarm on my phone, as well as juniors phone when high/low. But i’ll take that for the peace of mind it offers when he’s out and about.

@stoddys  I have a new question. Can I get readings on my Lock Screen? So just glancing at my phone

we have that on juniors phone on his lock screen (iphone). Settings>notifications>librelink> scroll down to the bottom and you should see ‘Lock Screen Appearence’ and then turn Show Priviews to Always.

Regarding my previous posts above. Managed to get everything talking together. Just uninstalled Libreview on juniors phone, and librelinkUp on my phone. Reinstalled LibreLink on Junior, deleted the existing connection. Then asked again for it. Reinstalled LibreLinkUp on my phone, accepted the invite, and boom – constant reading on my phone streaming from his.

scud
    Free Member

hear you on this. We have the same. Dont think you can fix that.

Are you using the LibreLinkUp app as well? This will send the alert, and ‘constant feed’ to your phone as well. Very handy. This seems to be owrking really well for us. It does however alarm on my phone, as well as juniors phone when high/low. But i’ll take that for the peace of mind it offers when he’s out and about

I think it is a great system, but with a teenage daughter going through puberty, we have had highs / lows all over the place, and if she is high, we are getting alarms every 5 minutes for hours until her bloods come back in range, even though she has the insulin on board to bring it down, averaged about 3 hours sleep for the last week now! But as you say, i’m glad it works well and it is piece of mind, even if i do go slowly mad…

superdan

I’m surprised more people aren’t using xdrip+.

With the Freestyle libre 2 it’s pretty great – the sensor talks to the phone, phone feeds datafields on my Garmin Fenix watch and Edge headunit when I’m road riding. Can snooze low and high alarms for a preset period (I use 30 mins for lows, 1 hour for highs) (useful when out riding, or in meetings) including from the watch, which is _amazing_ if you are in the middle of something, and have them set them not to re-raise if the blood sugar is trending the right way.

Big plus for me is being able to calibrate the sensor readings with blood tests too, can find that the Libre numbers are comically out. Doing a few blood tests keeps it within 0.2 mmol/l ish for me.

Dr_Bakes

@superdan Sounds brilliant, only it doesn’t seem to be available for iphone?

Anyone know of an equivalent conduit for apple devices?

scud
    Free Member

It does sound really good, but again daughter and i are both Apple users?

stoddys
    Free Member

@latham2104

can you see live numbers for the readings or just alarms for high and low?

superdan

Not an iPhone user, but a quick Google suggests Shuggah https://apps.apple.com/sa/app/shuggah/id1586789452 should do something similar?

Beagleboy

Hi there,

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, especially if this is old news, but I was out on my bike tonight with my Garmin 530 displaying blood glucose levels from my Libre 2 sensor!

First I downloaded the LibreLink app from Google Play onto my Pixel 7. That’s the app that lets your partner/parents/friends monitor your glucose levels remotely….never gonna happen. I then invited myself, and accepted the kind invite to follow myself with this app. Next I went to Garmin Connect IQ and downloaded the CGM Connect widget by bruder_jakob. I then plugged my Edge 530 into my laptop and synced it with Garmin Express. The CGM widget was displayed in the list and if you click on the three wee dots beside the name of the widget, a bunch of options appear. At the top is the bit where you put in your LibreLink login details. Once that’s done I believe what happens is that my phone reads my Libre 2 and transmits the data to the LibreLink app, then the CGM widget on my Edge 530 gets the data from LibreLink and displays it on the screen. It works!

Only caveat is that it’s a widget designed for Garmin watches. Pretty much all the Garmin watches except my Instinct Solar. It works great on my Edge 530 head unit though, but I had hoped I would be able to display my glucose levels as a data field alongside others. As far as I can see, it doesn’t work that way. You have to navigate to the Widget menu on the head unit to view your sugars, or just leave it on screen while you ride. That’s what I did tonight. I’m quite pleased with it though as I generally ride with my phone tucked away in my Camelbak, so a couple of button presses are still quicker than all the faff of digging around in my bag!

C.

DickBarton

That is what I’m wanting to do with my Dexcom G6, but I use CampAPS FX and it isn’t able to share the data. I did contact the CampAPS FX team to ask if it was possible and it is on the backlog of things – which likely means it might get looked at in a couple of years time.
    Like @Beagleboy, my phone is well packed away whilst riding so having it on my Garmin would make things a bit easier, not a show stopper for me and I’m really not keen on installing a 3rd party app to try and work around it, but it is more than just a nice-to-have for me, but not enough for me to try and work around it.
    A shame really as the Dexcom has a widget and data field native to Garmin that would work brilliantly, but you need to uninstall the Dexcom app to run CamAPS FX.

murdooverthehill

Libre 2 user here, been using xdrip by Andreas-May from Connect IQ for a while now and it works pretty well, using data field, watch face and widget on my F6Pro and data field on my Edge 1030+.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.