Home Forums Chat Forum Cairngorm vs Glencoe vs Glenshee vs Nevis Range

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cairngorm vs Glencoe vs Glenshee vs Nevis Range
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Would someone be able to give a super quick run-down as to how the different “resorts” compare?

Cairngorms normally has the best snow right? And OK terrain. But the road often shuts.

Nevis Range, got a cable chair which has got too be good right? But doesnt open til Saturday. Good terrain?

Glencoe is close (to Edinburgh) which is always a bonus.

Dont really know about any of them except for Cairngorm really.

Reason I’m asking is my bro is heading up tonight for a couple days of winter fun, but Cairngorms is sposed to be snowy/windy/low visibility tomorrow, so if we could get somewhere else tomorrow, that would be ace. If not we’ll doss about tomorrow, and see if we have any more luck on Saturday.

Ta, Duane

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Not much help but we had friends that went to Aviemore. Although it wasn’t that windy in Aviemore it was windy enough to stop the lifts on Cairngorm but at the same time it was fine at the Lecht. So might be worth making a last minute decision. Think there is more snow on the eastern hills.

pixelmix
    Free Member

The funicular is handy at Cairngorm for your first run (it is busy so not worth getting too often), and when the snow is good you can get a really long run down from top to bottom. Cairngorm shuts fairly often though as it is exposed to the West, so gets a battering by the wind, and they can struggle to keep the road safe when the snow is blowing across it.

At the last minute, if Cairngorm is shut, it’s not TOO bad a drive to get to the Lecht.

Glenshee is the handiest for Edinburgh, and you can get out of the car and onto a tow quicker there. Some of the runs are a bit of an effort to get to, so have a slightly more remote feel (if that’s your thing).

trailertrash

Glenshee seems more popular with boarders but I am not experienced enough to know why.

big_scot_nanny

Glenshee lift system was designed by a blind man who had never walked with skis and boots on. Who the hell designs an uplift system where you get off one tow and have to walk uphill for 50yds to get to the next tow. Mental. Glas Maol on the sunny side is awesome when snow is good however. Rest is OK at best. tiger very overrated and often populated by squaddies.

glencoe not for the fainthearted, in tough conditions is truly horrific, but in good snow is as good as anything. Some great runs. flypaper down the car park is amazing.

Anoch Mor is pretty good, has a good chairlift and some great runs. Possibly best cafe.

Cairngorm my favourite, great variety, ciste side also has some great off piste easily linkable from the runs, and ptarmigan down white lady, or traverse down then corrie cas or M1 are fabulous. If you can get down to the bottom all the better.

All of it of course massively weather dependent, but then skiing in mud, or skiing with 3mm of ice crusting your entire body are just part if the experience.

My favourite? Films/Laax, but it’s a bit of drive from Edinburgh… HTH! 😉

kev

2tyred

I’m in Glasgow, been snowboarding for (I guess) about 16/17 years, young family prevents me from riding anywhere near as much as I used to just now, but here’s my take:

Cairngorm: a long drive for me, notoriously unreliable conditions, frequent frustration when the road’s shut when conditions are good (although last year was the worst in that regard for many many years), galling to think of the money sunk into that stupid railway when there’s apparently not enough money to repair and restore two lifts that would transform the place, when its good its really really good as the area is massive but I’d never go on a weekend. Management not shy about taking full money with two lifts running. Key lifts break frequently. Brilliant road ride up there in the summer mind. Crap overpriced food.

Glenshee: when it has complete cover (which is rare) the Tigerbowl and the Glas Maol make it worth a trip, and its relatively easy to get to. But when it has less than full cover it can be desperate. I’ve seen people with full price tickets covered in mud after falling over near the bottom of the lower slopes. Crap overpriced minging food. Full of posh people from Edinburgh when its any good.

Lecht: epic journey needed to reach it, small and limited terrain but good fun and well-managed IMO. Nice atmosphere, decent lifts. Handy if you’re in Aberdeen or nearby. Don’t think I’ve ever bought anything to eat there. I’d probably go more if it was nearer.

Nevis: when there’s enough cover to open the Back Corries, it has some of the best terrain in the country. Rest of the terrain is decent sized but a bit dull. Decent cafe up top, ancient but reasonably decent cafe at the bottom (which is getting replaced at the moment I think). Not bad lift infrastructure, although the top button is, err, challenging. All about the back bowl though, its not huge but you can spend a lot of time there in the right conditions. Last year there was full cover from the summit to the carpark, providing a reet good larf taking the off Beat DH course to the bottom. Possibly the best bet for a ride when cover is not great everywhere, but gondola shuts as soon as the wind picks up.

Glencoe: the original and best by a country mile. A heartening story (over the last 2 years) of what can happen with the right owner and attitude in place. Probably the most resilient in the face of bad weather, only high winds really stop things. Unbeatable terrain with real character IMO – small, but a natural playground full of features in a stunning location. Guess it depends what you’re after. Brilliant atmosphere, well managed, super friendly staff, ace cafe at the bottom, full of possibilities – last year’s cover opened up parts of the mountain that hadn’t been ridden in a generation. 90 mins drive from my house, just a special place for me, has been for a very long time. Go there!

(sorry, that wasn’t very super-quick)

big_scot_nanny

What he said^^!!

kev

2tyred

@big_scot_nanny – I liked Laax too, especially the… tea! 🙂

Sorry OP, didn’t realise you were going up so soon. Don’t think Coe or Nevis are open yet, as the recent snow was concentrated on the east. Don’t know how likely anything is for this weekend. Best phone to see.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Had one of my favourite morning’s boarding at Glencoe in good snow conditions. Has a natural go-where-you-like feel. But not easy.

Woody
    Free Member

Dammit – I really want to go to Glencoe after reading that. Unfortunately it’s a 4 hour+ drive from my folks house and 5 hours from Durham 😐

Glenshee on Boxing Day though – can’t wait!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cairngorm vs Glencoe vs Glenshee vs Nevis Range’ is closed to new replies.