Home Forums Bike Forum Building flatbar cx bike…GRX?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Building flatbar cx bike…GRX?
  • sefton
    Free Member

Building a flat bar cx bike

Single ring (possibly shimano grx crank)

What shifter, derailleur, and cassette would work

On regular shimano rim brake 700c wheels?

Thinking 11spd.

I noticed shimano do a flat bar road shifter…would this work with a 105 medium or long cage derailleur?

Just trying to figure my options

Any help would be appreciated

remedyflyer
    Free Member

I have a flat bared Trek crockett with cable disc brakes wanted to put MTB disc brakes on it front works ok with adaptor but not the back 160mm/140mm we have tried both on back will have to put the cable one back on the back been a bit of a nightmare after waiting two months for 160mm adaptor to come then no good two days for 140mm still no good for frame happy days.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just buy a hybrid? 😉 Sorry/not sorry

zippykona

I was thinking that ^^^^
    My Whippet with cross tyres is 10 kg ready to ride. Would that not suffice?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

105 flat bar shifter will work with any GRX rear mech. Ditto for the tiagra shifter as well although that’s 10 speed but still compatible.

kerley
    Free Member

My Whippet with cross tyres is 10 kg ready to ride. Would that not suffice?

All depends if you want it to feel and look like a flat barred CX bike or a rigid MTB.

Also have the option to put drops on it as intended when you realise they are better than flat bars…

Stainypants

Nah, Just use a MTB shifter and derailleur then you’ve got the option to use whatever cassette range you want. I’ve used an 12 speed XT shifter and a deore mech on mine.

sefton
    Free Member

Ok, will shimano flat bars shifter SLRS700 work with grx rear mech and 11 34 cassette

I already have the cx frames but thanks anyway

branes
    Free Member

I’ve got exactly that – 11s XT8000 GS Rear mech, XT shifter, 11-42 XT cassette. Road cassettes are *slightly* different spacing but work in practice, have an 11-36 SRAM that I use occasionally. Road/MTB mech & shifters don’t mix without some kind of thingummyjig inline.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Wouldn’t bother with the expenses of GRX if you’re sticking flat bars on you “agro-gravel” bike :-D

bigblackshed

The word your searching for is hybrid.

There’s no shame in it, say it slowly. Hybrid.

Now go and shout it to the world!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Building flatbar cx bike…GRX?’ is closed to new replies.